• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How often does your bilge pump turn on?

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
67 hrs never came on. I actually had to remove it and put it in a bucket of water to make sure it works, it does.
I also still have the plastic scupper which I have yet to replace.

Bilge running every few minutes might be an issue. I will definitely be going over my boat before beginning the season again.

These are all issues I want to avoid before docking the boat in the water for the season.
Gotcha - thanks for the data points. Got a new attwood scupper on order, gonna look at replacing the brass drain plug while I'm at it.

Shta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2017 24 limited s. I was sitting quietly floating in the water and every 10-15 minutes I heard a hum. Didn’t think about it until the next time I was doing the same thing and heard it again. I finally found it. It was the bilge pump in the engine compartment. I had it on auto mode. Spoke with my yamaha mechanic and he said, that is what it is supposed to do. I don’t understand that. If the pump is dry it shouldn’t run. Again he said that what it is supposed to do. So it runs every10-15 min all the time the batteries are on.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2017 24 limited s. I was sitting quietly floating in the water and every 10-15 minutes I heard a hum. Didn’t think about it until the next time I was doing the same thing and heard it again. I finally found it. It was the bilge pump in the engine compartment. I had it on auto mode. Spoke with my yamaha mechanic and he said, that is what it is supposed to do. I don’t understand that. If the pump is dry it shouldn’t run. Again he said that what it is supposed to do. So it runs every10-15 min all the time the batteries are on.
Yes it runs for a few seconds and if it senses resistance it stays running untill the resistance is gone. Thats how it works

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So the new bilges are designed to run every 10 to 15 minutes to sense water? That would drain the battery over a week or two if the boat is sitting in a wet slip wouldn't it?

First time I am hearing this.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The newer boats like yours @Chris Kasz do not cycle every 10-15 mins looking for resistance. They are directly wired to the battery, thus always on, but have an electronic sensor to engage the pump. I don't know if they draw any current until they engage the pump.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the new bilges are designed to run every 10 to 15 minutes to sense water? That would drain the battery over a week or two if the boat is sitting in a wet slip wouldn't it?

First time I am hearing this.
I can't speak to what bilge pump you have, maybe post a picture of it so we know the model,

in the older boats it was a problem and would eventually drain the battery (especially if it felt resistance and kept spinning).

Chris Kasz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can't speak to what bilge pump you have, maybe post a picture of it so we know the model,

in the older boats it was a problem and would eventually drain the battery (especially if it felt resistance and kept spinning).
I have a 2018 AR190, my bilge is setup to run even if the boat is off it will spit out water.

I don't have a model as the boat is hibernating but will be opened up this weekend finally.

TOGA

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mine only runs on two occasions; Rain and when we surf and put the rub rail under the water.

Seal at rub rail is garbage (my boat's old, but that seal is bad).

We trailer, and when we pull out, Lower bilge is dry (unless above condition). everything below the water line is sealed well and no coolant leaks.

Make sure you have replaced plastic scupper with stainless steel.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If my boat is on its mooring with cover on zero water gets in the bilge. Obviously if people are climbing it and out some water will find the it’s way to the bilge.

There’s lots of threads and posts about how the pumps are set up in various models/years...always a good idea in my mind to have a second pump on a float switch wired direct to the battery with an in-line fuse as a backup.