• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How shallow can you go?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does sucking up all that sand and silt and vegetation impact the cooling system at all?
That’s the right question to ask. And only the channel you are navigating will tell you the answer. The key is understanding where the water intake to your cooling system is. Just sucking it through the pump, not necessarily. But into the intake, where it is on the pump can cause overheat issues.

For those of us that have ever had an overheat issue, will understand, that just sand, no, unless it is ultra fine. Check out the mesh over the intake. Again, if you are putting along and creating that sand vortex. And at legal, no wake speeds, that is a consideration. If that channel is weedy, it’s pretty much game over. Not only may you have overheat issues, you will then have cavitation and plugging issues once you do get out of the channel.

I feel very fortunate that our channel is very clean. So your mileage will vary and it is a case by case basis.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If I recall correctly, Will's (@JetBoatPilot ) video was showing the boat in neutral which creates a back flow stirring up things on the sea floor. Keeping it full forward will have little to no vortex effect in my experience.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does sucking up all that sand and silt and vegetation impact the cooling system at all?
Yes it does.

I watch PWC restoration videos and there are plenty of these craft where sand is literally caked inside the engine in many places because their previous owners would run them in shallow or beach the PWC’s and then crank the engines while in shallow water. There was sand in the head, under the valve cover, down in the bottom of the engine in the crank, caked along all the cooling passages, you name it sand found a way to be there. Many years ago I bought a non-running Polaris PWC and as we tore into the engine I found sand everywhere! Anyone that says sand doesn’t do anything I think you’d change your tune if you looked at some of these PWC and jet ski engine rebuild videos lol.

Last edited:

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes it does.

I watch PWC restoration videos and there are plenty of these craft where sand is literally caked inside the engine in many places because their previous owners would run them in shallow or beach the PWC’s and then crank the engines while in shallow water. There was sand in the head, under the valve cover, down in the bottom of the engine in the crank, caked along all the cooling passages, you name it sand found a way to be there. Many years ago I bought a non-running Polaris PWC and as we tore into the engine I found sand everywhere! Anyone that says sand doesn’t do anything I think you’d change your tune if you looked at some of these PWC and jet ski engine rebuild videos lol.
True statement! We shot that video to show what was happening while you operate in shallow water.

We too lost an engine once to improper cooling which was impeded by sand in the coolant lines within the engine. The bad thing was that the sand trapped the salt water inside the cooling jackets within the block. the salt water corroded the engine so badly that it eventually created an opening and the cooling system stopped working. From there it was all down hill.

For those that run their engines in shallow water, there are consequences. We suggest pushing out to knee deep and then board, drift a few additional feet and then start.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Out of the box thinking.... What if those whom have to go through a shallow channel get a cheaper trolling motor and rig up a mount that would go in your transom table mount. A hand tiller motor with long cord and gator clips. Something like this size motor. Enough to get you through the shallow areas. Of course figuring thrust for the size boat needed to move it. I would assume not a lot if it is a calmer channel.

Minn Kota Endura C2 Freshwater Transom Mount Trolling Motors | DICK'S Sporting Goods

Perhaps have someone like @HailMary Fabricate a stanchion that is angled out past the swim deck over the water with a vertical plate to clamp the trolling motor too when needed. Get a short shaft so it can be stored in the ski locker or under a seat.

Hell of a lot cheaper than something happening to your engines.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For a long channel like the OP is talking about, it may make sense. For us, it won't.

As stated by those above, sand is an issue. And as stated above, the channel will tell you if it's an issue. Meaning, there are different types of sand. If you are in the same body of water every day, you will know what you have in yours.

Our MN lake does not have the ultra fine sand some of you see in yours. That doesn't mean it's impossible, it's just not likely. It's more likely to plug the intake mesh, than get inside. You would think if it were fine enough to plug, it's fine enough to get in. Either way, it's worth avoiding if at all possible. In our lake, I wish we did have some fine sand, it would be appreciated for sure.

When I take our boat to other lakes with fine sand, it sure is noticeable, if anything from what is dragged into my boat!!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree with @biffdotorg . You have to be familiar with your boating environment.