• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How shallow can you go?

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did and failed due to I hang a lot lower than the Yamaha's.
Why I did not film that I have no idea. I'll never forget splitting those rocks and looking down thinking I was about to ground and then before I could turn around and get my hand up, you were able to set anchor without an anchor :)

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Some of the long time members may remember back to the old forum about the guy who was cruising along at his lake and decided to "explore" a cove area traveling on plane. Don't remember why but he came off plane and was in a few inches of water. Long story short... boat got stuck in the mud and there was a bunch of following pages of the lengths he went to get the boat out (I believe after a couple weeks of it just sitting in the lake!)

For anyone new, and you have popcorn and time, this is a good read!

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24666&hilit=8+inches+of+water

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
During the Exumas trip there was many times we were running at speed in inches if water. I think we even rolled over a few sand bars at 30 mph and kept going. None of this is recommended but can be done. Heck even @Andy S decided to test his boats shallow water limits on that trip lol.
No kidding!
While in Bimini, we did venture into the mangrove with @chris24, searching for the secret smugglers pass. Let me tell you, his cojones must be about twice the size of what's hanging on that truck -- as I tried to follow him at "high tide" we found ourselves several miles inland and in less than a foot of water. That was pretty crazy. I could not take any good pictures, but you can get the idea:
upload_2016-10-31_11-37-48.png

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, it started out nice and easy...

Before it got a little tight...
Sorry, I couldn't shoot any good clips (and the admiral was not in a mood to film that, LOL)

--

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get the point you need to go through that muddy water but its going to wear your pumps prematurely. As mentioned too, its going through your blocks water ways, not something I'd like for my engines.

Can you not just "punt" your way to the marina?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I get the point you need to go through that muddy water but its going to wear your pumps prematurely. As mentioned too, its going through your blocks water ways, not something I'd like for my engines.

Can you not just "punt" your way to the marina?
I wish. That is what @McMark suggested, too, and I wish I could do it, but there is just no way one can get through that channel NOT on plane. There is also no hard bottom in that channel to paddle/push up/against. Your paddle (or feet) just sink in that silt, as if there is no hard bottom. It is interesting. The only way I know of -- how to get through that channel -- is basically by "surfing" your own wake. Works every time, but one must not hesitate.

[EDIT: That is ONLY for extremely low water conditions that is. Most of the time - it is smooth sailing, we have cabin cruisers and houseboats coming through that marina all the time as it is about the only place on that river that has a gas station.]

It does look weird, and I have seen people freak out when they see it. Sometimes when you do it and you look behind the boat, the channel looks to be almost completely dry behind the boat, with water surging back under the passing boat. Kind of cool, actually.

I totally hear what you guys are saying, but my only other choice seem to be: go somewhere else, or leave the boat sitting on a lift (along with a bunch of resident stern/inboards).

I have to say (knock on wood), never had any cooling issue due to mud/silt, yet, also with my previous outboards there. Unlike algae or hydrillia, or any other water grass or tree debris or needles crap in the water, which is a killer for cooling systems.

--

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Do you have a rental agreement with the marina that requires them to maintain the depth of the channel so that you can navigate it safely. If so you may want them to dredge it for safety reasons as well as mechanical benefits for your boat.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Not a competition (@Evil Sports already won, just check out his avatar), just wondering.

We have had some boating friends for dinner last night, all skiers with ski/wake boats, and the issue of draft came up a lot. So, as we were out today, I kept thinking how much I like my Yammie.

We boat primarily on a small river that is not locked/dammed -- so it can go up and down in a hurry. When the water is low and my marina guys get lazy, the access channel does not get dredged. It looks something like that (see below). Good thing is, the bottom is all mud/silt, very smooth.
(the pic was taken earlier today, there is less that a foot of water there in the channel...):
View attachment 48003

Over the years, I have learned how to deal with it, but find the new 240 amazingly capable -- if the local jet Jon boaters can get in and out, so can I.

Basically, the trick is to approach the channel at a steady (but significant) speed -- one wants to push enough water into the channel to create almost like a water "cushion" and then just power glide on top of it.

EDIT: I don't actually do this for fun, or very often, but when I do - that's what it looks like.

I don't need to say that, but slowing down of stopping is not ideal when going through. I like the new horn as it is loud and I can blow it before I enter.

--
Beast Mode lol

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@swatski has been my hero since the day I met him .

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have a rental agreement with the marina that requires them to maintain the depth of the channel so that you can navigate it safely. If so you may want them to dredge it for safety reasons as well as mechanical benefits for your boat.
I wish! It's a long story but the place is more of a private club than a public establishment.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
In response to off-line questions, YES, my Cobra fins are still there, and not a scratch on the hull.
I checked this morning to be sure as I had her in my driveway: :D

upload_2016-11-1_11-53-26.png

upload_2016-11-1_11-55-15.png

EDIT: And a disclaimer: I have no financial interest in these things. Zero.
--

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice...first time i have seen the articulating keel (rudder) as my 07 does not have that. So just one fin per jet with that setup? You must have better steering control while surfing your wake. How do you like it?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice...first time i have seen the articulating keel (rudder) as my 07 does not have that. So just one fin per jet with that setup? You must have better steering control while surfing your wake. How do you like it?
@zipper The boat feels like it is on rails.
A lot of specific information for the system has recently been discussed:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-ar240-cobra-fins-magnum-ak-w-fangs-install-and-first-impressions-plus-ez-locks-refresher.11530/

--

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@swatski It looks like an awesome setup from @Cobra Jet Steering LLC . I do use Cobra fins, looking at fangs. I do like the benefits I get from the fins.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The last time we went puttering around the mangroves in the Narrows along the Pinellas intercostal, I got an ant bed looking pile of mud and silt on the driveway form the flush pee when we got home. We were in 5-6ft of water but it was unusually rough that day with 15~mph winds. Might have been from the Bellaire boat ramps. White caps on the bay, grass ankle deep on the ramps and about an inch of visibility in the water. That wasn't sheet compared to what I just saw you run your boat through!