• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to drill holes

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi everyone. I'm mustering the courage to drill some holes on my boat. Specifically, plan to install the Perko Fender Locks. I'm a bit terrified to do this and mess it up. Can the collective knowledge please walk me through it? In all honesty, explain it like I'm 5. What tools and or bits will I need?

Also, @swatski I know you've installed these before. Any tips? Package says to use #8 screws but doesn't specify length or threads. Lastly, I plan to hang big ol' 27x10 fenders on these. Will they hold? I did't realize how small these fender locks are. Or should I find a different alternative, like those fancier TACO ones?

Thanks folks!

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Cant help with the how to drill the holes, but personally I wouldnt just use screws into the fiberglass, i would be likely use stainless steel through bolts. With big ass washers and globs of silicone to waterproof. Most places on these boats are fairly accessible inside.

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Start with a VERY small drill bit first, in the center if the hole you plan to drill. Drill that first then it can be a guide for the larger hole.

Use quality drill bits, makes all the difference.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have found using Masking tape on the drilling surface prevents some burs. Also countersinking the holes, by using a larger bit for just a little bit of the hole at the end, ensures the screw sets well. If you have access to the inside of the hole, using bolts with nuts on the back are the perfect fastener, but if its not possible and the expected loads are acceptable drill and screw is an OK option.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@tabbibus when are you doing this? My week is light for work.

Painters tape, is must then cut into that. Can also "back drill" in reverse to get through clear coat before drilling forward.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@tabbibus when are you doing this? My week is light for work.

Painters tape, is must then cut into that. Can also "back drill" in reverse to get through clear coat before drilling forward.
Thanks. Not sure yet. I'll holler

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
If I had to do my fender locks over again I would have done the ones I link below - I like the through bolt installation and also that they can't lift off if they hit the water on a wave rocking the boat.

The ones I actually installed are little different than yours as they are a "key slot" type but you have to twist them sideways to get them in/out. I have still had a bumper get knocked out by a wave. If you do install these, or any other with screws and instead of through bolt, be very careful to get your pilot hole big enough - it is very easy to cause chipping and cracking around the screw hole if your pilot hole is not big enough. My experience is bigger than you think you need.

I'd recommend these in hind sight.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All good advice! I wouldn;t worry about SS screws holding in Yamaha fiberglass, the FRP, I like to use 5200 to "bed" those, they hold like crazy. Most use screws to install trim tabs in our Yammies with no issues, that's a lot more force than a bumper! The key is to make the hole the perfect size. If you have FRP cutouts from installing extra speakers (I forgot if you did that or not) - those pieces (circles) are perfect for practice. Keep in the recommended drill bit sizes for screws vary with the material, and the FRP is way harder than wood, so you tipically will want to be just a hair larger to avoid spider cracks.

--

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't over think this. Fiberglass drills similar to wood. Screws will be fine, but have to be stainless. You'll be done in a minute. Select a drill bit slightly smaller than the shaft (not the threads, but the center) of your screws. Use a screwdriver instead of a power driver so you don't strip them. I wouldn't bother sealing them.

20180422_193506.jpg20180409_204153.jpg

Hilario Perez

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone on this form install 6 × 9 speakers inside the cockpit area if so can you please link me or send pictures.