• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to get a good wake for surfing

Kacper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey, guys so I have a 2019 242 Limited S and I want to surf on it. I'm thinking to get the 50lb bags of steel (1000lb in total) and put them in those back seats storage compartments (shown in the picture). What do you guys think of that will it work will it be a good idea? Or should I put those bags in the ski locker compartment or mix them up? Also with that, I want to get the wake booster to help out the wave. I surf regular (left foot forward). Any insight will be appreciated thank you!

Attachments

Last edited:

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would really recommend using water ballast instead of steel simply because you can have the weight when you want it (i.e. for surfing) and dump it the rest of the time. Having 1000 lbs of steel in the back would for sure increase your wake for surfing but it will hinder your performance and dramatically the rest of the time. I have 5 of those 50 lbs bags on my wakeboat and I can tell you it will get old moving 4X as many of them around.

When I had my SX210, I bought a pair of 800 lb. Sumo Sac ballast bags that were very long and fairly low profile and ran them under the seats on both sides as far back as they'd go. Filled them with a pretty high speed pump thown over the side. Worked well enough. That might be a good starting point for you to consider.

Kacper

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@OrangeTJ Thank you for sharing, I think I'm gonna get a 750lb for the ski locker compartment and then a 750lb transom bag in the back of the boat.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As noted above, I'd look at water sacs as you can have the weight when you want it and don't need to carry it around when you don't. I rarely use the center ballast on my 242 any more for surfing and just fill the back factory sacks and then add another 400lb one to the swim platform (and tie off with a dock line and to the ski tow point. A high capacity bag pump will fill that bag in about 1-2 minutes so it's quick.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Make sure you are in water 10 feet or deeper for wake surfing. Makes such a difference.