• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to make a wakeboard training aid

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I thought some of you may be interested in this.

This may be too late for many but here is something I came up a few months ago that may help someone who is just starting to wakeboard or is thinking about it. I say I came up with it but technically I only came up with this simplified version of it. The original that I saw on-line used different materials such as a nylon strap (or two), plastic buckles for the same, an SS ring and a Velcro strap. I tried to buy one but never got a response and assumed that the inventor/seller went out of business. Anyway, this newer "adult sized" system is a lot simpler in that it consists of a single Velcro strap, 6' long I think, with hooks on one side and loops on the other.

Here is how to "make" one of your own. Hopefully the pics will provide clear instructions but as a supplement:

1. I describe it as two loops, one around the front of the board, the other around the front boot/binding, both connected at the top front center of the board, just in front of the side of the front boot/binding, at it's center of course. Now if that wasn't as clear as mud.

2. The remaining end of the strap is connected to a loop in the tow rope. The connection point is about knee high from the face of the board and one to two feet out from the handle. This is a really rough starting point that needs to be adjusted for the rider's height. The ideal location will allow the boat to pull the board and rider into the standing position quickly, so to long and the rider won't be pulled up by the rope, to short and the rider may be pulled over the board and face plant or just be out of position from the start.

3. Although I haven't tested the adult version yet, it should work just like the one I made for my Son does. An additional feature that I thought about after making these is that once the rider is up they can easily release the vecro strap that is connected to the tow rope to prevent the system from dragging the rider through the water in the event of a fall. If you use the "right" amount of Velcro it may break away automatically but admittedly that is a big "IF" if your are a newbie rider relying on this thing to help you not hurt you.

A little background for context. I tried several times over two Summers to teach myself how to wakeboard. It never worked, that is I never got up on my own. Finally a I went out with a friend who had a MasterCraft wakeboarding boat and the training experience I needed to be successful. An hour in I got up for about a minute after 7 or 8 consecutive attempts. I remember driving home an hour later and sleeping 10 hours until the next morning. I was exhausted and can't tell anyone how much I wish I had one of these when I was learning or even when I was teaching or trying to teach. Less than half the people I've "trained" have actually made it up, but honestly I think at least half of the failures had to do with something on their end not mine.

I'm starting to wonder if I can develop something like this for wakesurfing boards. Maybe if I put a hook on the top front of the board, similar to the integrated hooks used on kneeboards. Something to think about especially if I can find a "cheap" used board. Drilling will probably be required.

Questions?

A Strap and Board.JPG

Attachments

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length