• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to remove swimdeck cushions on 2008 SX-230...?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Did @Bruce ever reply in the other thread, to give guidance to the removal of the cushions? He has done it.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If its like my ss they have bolts through to the engine bay. Then I think they have some tabs or something but I don't remember specifically. I only used the through bokts toput in some new ssoundproofing and didn't remove the whole thing because I wasmore focused on the cabin side of things.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I haven't removed them, but they do have bolts, and then they have clips that the cushion slides over. But the only fasteners that have to be removed...I think...are the bolts, then the cushion slides on/off the clips. It isn't as bad as it might lead you to believe, but I wish @Bruce would verify that.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did it on my 06 AR210 I'm sure it's no different. There are about 500 bolts holding those babies on! Your going to have to get in each seat bay (port/starboard) and remove. There is a false wall on the starboard side too, remove that and you find more bolts. The bolts go all the way to the very end of the seat so of the seat doesn't pull away easily, you haven't removed all the bolts. There are no clips or anything holding it in like a car dashboard that requires a little pulling. All bolts.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have done it. It is way harder than it should be. They are held on by a dozen or so bolts. Three or more of those are outside of the engine compartment side walls. @txav8r says you can slide under the seats to get back there and remove the bolts. I removed the sidewalls. The port sidewall will not come out without cutting.

I decided not to reinstall the sidewalls. I added an insulated wall blocking the engine compartment from the under and behind the seat areas. Then I used the areas beside the engines to install two battery boxes and 16 gallon shower system.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OK, this verifies what I saw when I looked in there... hence my sarcastic comment on the other thread about these seatback cushions being "structural."
I believe I can reach one of the buried fasteners through the hole I cut for the swimdeck speaker, using a ratchet and protective gloves.
I have seen at least three other fasteners behind the port side engine space bulkhead, might be another behind the port-aft bulkhead (just forward of the speaker hole and fastener mentioned above.)

Again... dammit!

PS: Thanks to all for the info

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am thinking I will have a mobile vinyl repair outfit quote fixing it. There are a couple in the Milwaukee area that will come to your home, workplace, etc. and do vinyl repairs on the spot.
Not excited about the prospect of taking out those bulkheads for this. Not at all.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think you could go through the speakers on the transom for those fasteners, and get to the rest directly I the enyone and side compartments.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I vote for mobile repair! Those nuts are a pain even with the sidewalls out.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just so you all don't think I've lost my nerve after this weekend's hole saw incident...

image.jpg
image.jpg

It is just dry fit for now. I used my 15+ year old Dremel with a new $8 attachment to cut the BIG hole for the sub. Dremel did a great job - used two bits they recommend for fiberglass cutting to complete the hole. Round & clean, quite pleased.

I left the hole a bit shy and am sneaking up on it with a hand file. Got it in for a quick eyeball, but it needs to be opened up a bit more.

Family is now in the "when is this stupid boat project going to be done?" phase. Quite a bit left to do, but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used a jig saw for mine. I am less patient. :)

You are almost there!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I love the hole saw! That is great, you need to post this in a "cutting big holes" post! I would have used that in lieu of a jigsaw myself. I did use a jigsaw on the 230 when I installed that woofer. The only thing better would be a trim router and a flush trim bit in a jig.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Had a vinyl pro fix the cushion today:

Before...

image.jpg

During:

image.jpg
image.jpg
Partially repaired:
image.jpg

Finished:
image.jpg
image.jpg

If you look closely, you can see it, but am quite happy with the repair. He spent nearly two hours fixing it.
Absolutely beats me tearing the boat apart to get the cushion off, etc.

Company that did the repair: http://www.fibrenew.com/find-a-location/?postal=Waukesha

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome! Looks great.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Like the repair outcome, but love to see the hole for the forthcoming transom speakers!! Nice work!!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OK, this verifies what I saw when I looked in there... hence my sarcastic comment on the other thread about these seatback cushions being "structural."
I believe I can reach one of the buried fasteners through the hole I cut for the swimdeck speaker, using a ratchet and protective gloves.
I have seen at least three other fasteners behind the port side engine space bulkhead, might be another behind the port-aft bulkhead (just forward of the speaker hole and fastener mentioned above.)

Again... dammit!

PS: Thanks to all for the info
@GTBRMC When you cut your holes for your transom speakers do you remember if you can reach the remote bolts? I am replacing my remote and will be putting in transom speakers in the same area. Was hoping I can connect the new remote through that hole rather than having to climb through the seat compartment.

Thanks

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@GTBRMC When you cut your holes for your transom speakers do you remember if you can reach the remote bolts? I am replacing my remote and will be putting in transom speakers in the same area. Was hoping I can connect the new remote through that hole rather than having to climb through the seat compartment.

Thanks
Yes you can reach the backside of the remote, unless you have Popeye arms.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool. Thanks @andy07sx230ho Are there any wires back there to know about before drilling? I know the remote cable is probably somewhere back there but I plan to replace that anyway.