• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Huge Power Loss

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It does happen. Rebuilds are done locally quite a bit. I bet even some motorcycle shops could take the MR-1s with some of the similarities to the R-1 motorcycle engine. Think of the variety of engines the small lawn places have to see...but many of those are also booked months in advance. It seems a hard business to make money on, since so few do it, but they can be found here and there.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unfortunately this isn’t that isolated of an incident, and an unsupported shaft can lead to crank bearing failure if not addressed.

This happens in skis sometimes from what I’ve read, and Riva even sells a replacement sleeve for the crank case to fix the problem in some cases (which still requires a machine shop).

For me, the cost just to get the whole thing diagnosed was ridiculous, and when a local mechanic gave me some figures on repair, it seemed that a replacement would be just as cost effective.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good information @AboveTheBest

You've got significantly more patience than I do. Let me know when you go to drop the newest motor back in and I'll drive up and lend a hand. Would love to learn a thing or two about how these come in/out boats. I'll buy pizza/beer!

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good information @AboveTheBest

You've got significantly more patience than I do. Let me know when you go to drop the newest motor back in and I'll drive up and lend a hand. Would love to learn a thing or two about how these come in/out boats. I'll buy pizza/beer!
That’s a deal

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The motor showed up yesterday and I put it in today!
I just need to fill it with 10W40 and hope tomorrow’s sea-trial goes better than the last two...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The motor showed up yesterday and I put it in today!
Wow!!!
I can not imagine doing something like that... in a day. Very impressive. Hope this goes well!!

--

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The transplant was a success :)
The new engine runs great!
It took a few minutes of working the 15-month old gas out of the lines, but after that it felt like a new boat.

I did get an update on the old engine as well. The assumption was correct, the crank case was trashed. I was told there was nothing left that was useable, and the mechanic was pretty impressed that the engine kept going long enough to cause that much damage.
After the pump bearings failed it allowed the shaft to move laterally, which caused it to bang on the crank and knock it out of alignment.

Moral of the story; loud noises coming from the pump section are bad, and if left untreated could lead to pump failure and eventual catastrophic engine failure.

1. Emergency Engine Shutdown
2. Land as Soon as Possible

Now time to sell the boat.

Last edited:

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My 2019 has rattled from day one. I'm always inspecting the wear ring. I'm hoping if/when something does go wrong I will detect it over this already noisy boat. The nice thing about these boats is you replace an engine and you have a new boat. With the I/O's there is still a long list of expensive mechanical wear items.

Glad to see a successful transplant.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The transplant was a success :)
The new engine runs great!
It took a few minutes of working the 15-month old gas out of the lines, but after that it felt like a new boat.

I did get an update on the old engine as well. The assumption was correct, the crank case was trashed. I was told there was nothing left that was useable, and the mechanic was pretty impressed that the engine kept going long enough to cause that much damage.
After the pump bearings failed it allowed the shaft to move laterally, which caused it to bang on the crank and knock it out of alignment.

Moral of the story; loud noises coming from the pump section are bad.

1. Emergency Engine Shutdown
2. Land as Soon as Possible

Now time to sell the boat.
Tremendous news! Congratulations.

And one of the most important PSAs for all the Yamaha boats out there.

Thank you for sharing the saga. So glad it ends well!!!!

--

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am so sorry you had to go through all of that. The information from the experience is really appreciated. Thank you for all the time you took to share great details. I now have two reasons I will not slalom behind my boat. 1. I will break myself. 2. I will break my boat.