• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Hull Cleaning Recommendations

djtech2k

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last fall when I bought my boat I was able to get it into my local river 3x before it got cold. At the end I noticed some light brown colors on the white bottom that I would describe it as looking like a stain. I washed the boat and even took a soft brush over it but no change. This spring I got the boat detailed, to include buffing and waxing. The brown was gone.

I have now put my boat in the river 2x now and the brown is back. I know river water can be dirty, but this seems ridiculous. I don't want it to buildup or slow down the boat, so I'd like to get it off as best I can. Any idea what it could be and how to get it off? Getting the bottom of the boat seems impossible when its on the trailer, but I really don't have a choice. Its not the whole bottom. Its just in patches and I only see it on the white.

Anybody had this before?

Acid wash, I do it once a year and am totally amazed at how well it works. Brush or spray on the hull, wait a minute and rinse off. It will rinse any bio-material stain off the hull to a perfect white every time.

Very common is saltwater or brackish water. But even in nice clean fresh water like we have, there will be a fair amount of bio-scum on the hull making it dingy. This will literally melt it off.

1. Wear gloves
2. Eye protection is advised
3. pick a day with a light breeze to reduce fumes you inhale.

Good luck!

71yzcjZ-%2BmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I recently had excellent success with Starbrite hull cleaner. My hull was pretty bad. I tried scrubbing manually while using my power washer. I was getting frustrated and the amount of work vs the result wasnt great. So I searched this forum and found a couple recommendations for Starbrite. I ran out and grabbed a bottle. Put in in a spray bottle…and followed instructions. Spray on, wait 2 mins, rinse. The boat looked new. I basically sprayed all the way down 1 side, then took my electric pressure washer and just rinsed it all off. Not a high pressure. Went around a second time to clean the spots I missed. No scrubbing. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Does this strip off the wax? I just paid a lot of $$ to the detailer to buff and wax the whole boat so I'd rather not take off the wax if I can. I keep getting ads for a boat cleaner called Booya that says it does not take off wax. Thats why I asked.

Also, I know this is a dumb question, but how do you clean and/or wax the bottom of the boat? When on the trailer I cannot reach a lot of it and then there lots of it covered by the board on the trailer. Just want to keep it smooth so it doesn't drag.

steel filing pad with power sander on high speed ... NO im kidding !!!! dont do that ... i like to use cleaner wax its lightly abrasive , ads nice shine and protection .. may need a power wheel

Seriously, just buy the ez on off and test it on an area like around the jet pumps and you will be amazed. Keep in mind, that Star Brite makes dozens of hull cleaners. EZON Off is a true acid wash.

There is no reason anyone should have to scrub their hull when it is this simple. And as far as wax, it will be fine. If you have a choice of waxed brown, or bright white, I would say 99 out of 100 will take bright white. Waxed hulls only add 1-2mph anyway.

Last edited:
@biffdotorg Actually doesn't waxing hulls decrease speed? Usually 1-2 mph. As I understand it, those who race jet ski's and boats fine sand their hulls with high grit sand paper and/or light scratch their hulls and do not wax them. Basically, this captures a layer of water against the hull and creates less friction, where as wax creates friction. Of course on our boats at WOT only a portion of the back of the hull is in contact with the water. Waxing the part that is out of the water on plane would not make a difference.

The best, I would think, is a clean, non-waxed hull on the portion of the hull that is making contact with the water at WOT and then waxing the rest of the hull.

Last edited:
When you use this acid wash stuff, does it hard your trailer or things like the carpet on the trailer board? How do you get the bottom of the boat? I mean I can barely get to any of mine because its so low, plus a lot is covered up by the trailer boards.

Don't bother with StarBrite - just use cheap toilet bowl cleaner. Same chemicals but cheaper.

I have a small brown spot from wood on a dock. You can't feel it, but it is there. Anything quick to remove that?

River water is an eye sore......gel coat and fiberglass is not totally water proof is absorbs water that's why leaving a boat in the water without bottom paint is will cause a weight gain and SLOW HER DOWN. The brown staining(trailer boating) you are getting is an eye sore but will not affect performance. The water has drawn the dirt deep into the gel.

My advice is not to drive yourself crazy trying to keep her super clean during boating season, and just make a total clean part of the put her to bed clean at seasons end. My go to cleaners for for a deep clean (Pittsburgh Allegany river dirt) were bucket of water TSP and lots of soap....the soap suds holds the TSP to the gel longer to clean deep. Second cleaner (a step up) same water only (4gal) cup of Muriatic acid and lots of soap for bubbles. Soap/bubbles hold it to fiberglass for a deep clean. BOTH THESE CLEANERS are dangerous to you eyes, skin and lungs and require protection. They also will will clean you concrete like no tomorrow. I always flooded my concrete under the boat to limit the damage using both these strong cleaners. !!!!!!!! WARNING!!!!!!!!! never use these cleaners together TSP/muriatic and don't let muriatic get anywhere near Chlorine bleach also.

Hope this helps a little

@biffdotorg Actually doesn't waxing hulls decrease speed? Usually 1-2 mph. As I understand it, those who race jet ski's and boats fine sand their hulls with high grit sand paper and/or light scratch their hulls and do not wax them. Basically, this captures a layer of water against the hull and creates less friction, where as wax creates friction. Of course on our boats at WOT only a portion of the back of the hull is in contact with the water. Waxing the part that is out of the water on plane would not make a difference.

The best, I would think, is a clean, non-waxed hull on the portion of the hull that is making contact with the water at WOT and then waxing the rest of the hull.
It was a joke actually. But you are right. The fastest sailboats will have a sharkskin like pattern to help move water over the surface

Don't bother with StarBrite - just use cheap toilet bowl cleaner. Same chemicals but cheaper.
This is the response I was trying to avoid by including a picture. As mentioned, they make dozens of cleaners. And do not mistake this one with toilet bowl cleaner. (They do make one that is). This is a true acid wash unlike any toilet bowl cleaner

@biffdotorg I just ordered some of that to try out.

X2 Use Starbrite Instant Hull Cleaner it works great on the whole boat and also kills zebra mussels so they will release from the pump/gate area after being in a slip for 6 months. Stay away from the spray bottles, the pump on mine, the one time I bought it leaked all over. I buy the big pour out bottles now. We also use Starbrite Spider Away and Spider and Bird stain remover, they work very well also.

20170504_123943.jpg

20170504_124001.jpg

20170504_125125.jpg

20181011_093041.jpg

20181011_093302.jpg

20181011_094556.jpg

Last edited:
Ditto on the toilet bowl cleaner. Zepp toilet bowl cleaner 8$ for 3L and it’s a high viscosity so it stays where it’s sprayed. Spray it, scrub it on and wait 10 minutes. Literally science fiction how well this stuff works. It will strip wax however. I followed up with a bottle of VS721 BOTTOM COAT and have MILD yellowing at the end of the season. Mind you, I wet slip. So leaving it in the water for 6 months only to see a slight colour change does not bother me. 6B8D9BD9-C082-48F8-BED8-4714AF8F537B.jpeg

Ditto on the toilet bowl cleaner. Zepp toilet bowl cleaner 8$ for 3L and it’s a high viscosity so it stays where it’s sprayed. Spray it, scrub it on and wait 10 minutes. Literally science fiction how well this stuff works. It will strip wax however. I followed up with a bottle of VS721 BOTTOM COAT and have MILD yellowing at the end of the season. Mind you, I wet slip. So leaving it in the water for 6 months only to see a slight colour change does not bother me. View attachment 155082
Good call - always gotta rewax! Also, I never had to scrub it on before, i just wiped it on with a gloved hand (or swiffer pad on a stick) and let it sit, it rinsed it right off.

I use straight up muriatic acid. Wear gloves. Wet the trailer and rinse it if you get any on it. I just put some on a rag and wipe it on. Wait a few minutes and then powerwash it off.

$5 a gallon at Rural King etc and that will last you YEARS. I also use it for little things like cleaning bare tarnished copper wire I have to solder, iron stains in the toilet, things like that.

Ditto on the toilet bowl cleaner. Zepp toilet bowl cleaner 8$ for 3L and it’s a high viscosity so it stays where it’s sprayed. Spray it, scrub it on and wait 10 minutes. Literally science fiction how well this stuff works. It will strip wax however. I followed up with a bottle of VS721 BOTTOM COAT and have MILD yellowing at the end of the season. Mind you, I wet slip. So leaving it in the water for 6 months only to see a slight colour change does not bother me. View attachment 155082

That's a great photo showing what these cleaners can do. It's damn scary for sure, but so satisfying to see come off.

Back