• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Hydroturf removal

Justin9228

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I read a lot of threads and watched a lot of YouTube videos to attempt to get off the hydroturf and install sea dek. I will save you a lot of frustration and money. If you don’t have an oversized corded drill, go buy a cheap one from harbor freight($35). Buy the 3M eraser wheel($28) and get ready for sore forearms. I didn’t use any heat or adhesive remover, just the eraser wheel. It’s a handle to hold, but it gets it off very quick and does not damage the gel coat at all. That eraser is amazing. 5B42C492-7EBD-41ED-83CD-7C2EF48FF60F.png475CBE8D-74CA-400A-A6FF-FC8F700FDAAC.png0B24B3DC-6B49-4D82-8EA2-DD56F16AA8FD.pngA4FA1CA9-832C-4E8B-8B31-4E958B4F99B6.jpeg4FFE3187-1B93-41A7-82C5-DD351A13C702.jpeg03FE7364-3A0B-4F89-A1CA-F7D6D04415FD.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice. I really like the eraser wheel. How long did it take you? I've heard the older the HT is, the harder it is to remove. I don't know it to be true except that I have removed old sections (10+ years old) and it has been a royal pain to get them off, even with the wheel, but the wheel was still awesome compared to other ways.

Justin9228

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice. I really like the eraser wheel. How long did it take you? I've heard the older the HT is, the harder it is to remove. I don't know it to be true except that I have removed old sections (10+ years old) and it has been a royal pain to get them off, even with the wheel, but the wheel was still awesome compared to other ways.
It took a bit over an hour to do all the old turf. It could go faster, but my forearms couldn’t press any harder. I kept seeing these videos of people just peeling it right up and then using acetone to clean the glue. Mine was coming up in tiny pieces when I tried that.

Justin9228

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you. Came out really nice and makes the boat look brand new. Forgot to mention I bought the SeaDek kit from JetBoatPilot and it is much cheaper than straight from SeaDek. The other nice thing is you can buy individual pieces too. Just got done relocating the batteries to give me my under seat storage room. Not too hard. FF017CD0-0155-4EC3-8524-9F79D19D61F1.jpegCD9E8CE8-A135-4467-A7F4-A01EE3D40CE7.jpegFD57CC5C-0E06-4B75-8B8D-13A776EF02D6.jpeg6E414012-0940-4EFB-A6FB-5A34018B4419.jpeg

Attachments

Justin9228

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It has the wrong size batteries in it from the previous owner, but I’ll use them instead of buying new ones for now.

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I read a lot of threads and watched a lot of YouTube videos to attempt to get off the hydroturf and install sea dek. I will save you a lot of frustration and money. If you don’t have an oversized corded drill, go buy a cheap one from harbor freight($35). Buy the 3M eraser wheel($28) and get ready for sore forearms. I didn’t use any heat or adhesive remover, just the eraser wheel. It’s a handle to hold, but it gets it off very quick and does not damage the gel coat at all. That eraser is amazing. View attachment 89550View attachment 89551View attachment 89552View attachment 89553View attachment 89554View attachment 89555
@Justin9228 Are you saying you used ONLY the eraser wheel + drill and you use that to take off the old matting + glue in one shot? You didn't have to pull up the mat? If so, I'm going to try that tomorrow. I'm in the middle of my install and the transom is a nightmare as others have experienced. I have the 3M wheel and drill but I spent 2 hours just pulling up 1 on the lower mats just to find 99% glue stayed on the boat. Even with the wheel the glue isn't coming up like I expected although applying to acetone to soften it then the 3M wheel has helped a ton.

If I can just take the mat + glue off with the wheel I'm all for that. I just never saw/heard anyone do it that way before.

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Following along here- been having a TERRIBLE time. @ralphsmithiii I think we’re in the same place, tiny pieces. If I can do it all with just the wheel I’m in, I’ll buy 20 of them if I have to!

Attachments

ralphsmithiii

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Following along here- been having a TERRIBLE time. @ralphsmithiii I think we’re in the same place, tiny pieces. If I can do it all with just the wheel I’m in, I’ll buy 20 of them if I have to!
I wouldn't wish this take upon anyone, lol!

If you're in the same storage place (it does looks like it) and you want a hand let me know. I'm 5-7 minutes from there.

waternutt

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I was able to pull up the old mats on my Chap fairly easily but it left a lot of residual adhesive. I have at least a few hours into prep already. It appears Yamaha has a smooth surface underneath. The Chap puts the mats over non-skid. So imagine trying to get the adhesive out from the grooves.

I got some of the adhesive with an eraser wheel and some more with adhesive remover and plastic putty knife/scrapper. Honestly, some of my best results was with salt water and a stiff-bristle brush while we anchored at the sandbar the past two weekends. I think I have almost all the adhesive off. Now I just need to clean well with acetone and mount the new SeaDek.

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wouldn't wish this take upon anyone, lol!

If you're in the same storage place (it does looks like it) and you want a hand let me know. I'm 5-7 minutes from there.
@ralphsmithiii , I may have misspoke in my previous thread 😂. I meant same place as in the mat coming off in tiny pieces. Looks like your in Tampa? (unless you moved) I’m up here in Bay City, MI.

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I read a lot of threads and watched a lot of YouTube videos to attempt to get off the hydroturf and install sea dek. I will save you a lot of frustration and money. If you don’t have an oversized corded drill, go buy a cheap one from harbor freight($35). Buy the 3M eraser wheel($28) and get ready for sore forearms. I didn’t use any heat or adhesive remover, just the eraser wheel. It’s a handle to hold, but it gets it off very quick and does not damage the gel coat at all. That eraser is amazing. View attachment 89550View attachment 89551View attachment 89552View attachment 89553View attachment 89554View attachment 89555
You have given me hope! I have the same matting on my ‘12 242. I have a wheel coming in the next couple days and hope to have your same result. I think I also have the same color combo SeaDek ready to go. Looks great, nice work!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
UPDATE:

1. Eraser Wheel is epic for the remaining adhesive. Still takes time but a way better option than chemicals and scraping. I almost when through a whole wheel on 1/2 the swim platform, so I ordered two more to get me through the project.

The eraser wheel does seem to be able to go through the mat and adhesive but it’s not the best and I’m sure chews up that wheel quicker

2. Soaking the hydroturf in mineral spirits (for about 45 mins) seemed to loosen up a bit but it’s still work to get off the mat.

3. Going to try an oscillating multi tool on the remainder of the hydroturf maybe with a plastic putty knife taped on the end of gorilla tape on the edge to protect the fiberglass. Will report.

Attachments

Jerlane

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's my update:
I used the painters five in one tool and a hammer to chip away the bulk of the old hydrodeck. I took the advice posted above and soaked the remaining adhesive and leftover foam with acetone and covered with some plastic masking film I had on hand and let it sit for five minutes or so. It seemed to scrape off quite easily after that. Seems to be the answer for me. I have the erasure wheel as well, but this seems to make it easier to cover a larger area. I still have a bit left to clean up, but the occlusive plastic seems to work well so the acetone doesn't evaporate right away. The adhesive gunk that comes up is gross!

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here's my update:
I used the painters five in one tool and a hammer to chip away the bulk of the old hydrodeck. I took the advice posted above and soaked the remaining adhesive and leftover foam with acetone and covered with some plastic masking film I had on hand and let it sit for five minutes or so. It seemed to scrape off quite easily after that. Seems to be the answer for me. I have the erasure wheel as well, but this seems to make it easier to cover a larger area. I still have a bit left to clean up, but the occlusive plastic seems to work well so the acetone doesn't evaporate right away. The adhesive gunk that comes up is gross!
The hammer and 5&1 seem to be the ticket and easiest to get rid of the bulk of the hydroturf. I may have misinterpreted @JetBoatPilot earlier and tried soaking the whole mat. I’ll try tomorrow with soaking just the adhesive. Eraser wheel works really good it’s just a mess, not a big deal on the swim platform but might be in the cabin area. I found with the spots that remained from the eraser wheel I used the aerosol goo gone and one of the bristle still attachments and that worked very well. Should have install by mid-next week and will post.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I waited until it was cold and removed it then. I had a much easier time. Not perfect; still a pain. But had a much easier time.

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
It seems the cold is the ticket, however, I couldn’t sit and look at this brand new SeaDek until fall 😬

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you take a can of air (like the kind you use to clean keyboards) and shoot it upside down, you can freeze a section. Just don't shoot your fingers--it will freeze those off just as efficiently.

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you take a can of air (like the kind you use to clean keyboards) and shoot it upside down, you can freeze a section. Just don't shoot your fingers--it will freeze those off just as efficiently.
Hahah- I’ve definitely had my fair share of run ins with compressed air.

took off the anchor locker and passenger side cabin mat in 1-2 pieces. (My wife was there, she had to be thinking, what’s he been doing this whole time?)

Anywho- all cleaned up ready to apply SeaDek tomorrow!!

Attachments