• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I am in the market for a jetski

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My kids really want a ski to play around with I would like to find a used one with the same engine as my 2010 212x the MR1. I do all my own maintenance with oil changes, spark plug changes, and lubrication. What years should I be looking for? 2007-2011?

My second option is to look at the new Yamaha EX sport or Yamaha EX deluxe. On the small lake we will be using it, we don't need more than 45mph. I want to keep the total purchase under 10k.

I used to own a 1997 twin engine seadoo speedster and absolutely loved it but not sure a seado would be the right option given their maintenance history.

There aren't many used skis available in MN right now but I am hoping there will be some this fall.

Let me know what you think my best options are.

Last edited:

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have 2 Seadoo Sparks and they would fit your description perfectly, you can easily find 2 newer ones for under 10k.I bought them in 2014 when they first came out and they have been reliable, only issue I had was self inflicted.

Last edited:

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My kids really want a ski to play around with I would like to find a used one with the same engine as my 2010 212x the MR1. I do all my own maintenance with oil changes, spark plug changes, and lubrication. What years should I be looking for? 2007-2011?

My second option is to look at the new Yamaha EX sport or Yamaha EX deluxe. On the small lake we will be using it, we don't need more than 45mph. I want to keep the total purchase under 10k.

I used to own a 1997 twin engine seadoo speedster and absolutely loved it but not sure a seado would be the right option given their maintenance history.

There aren't many used skis available in MN right now but I am hoping there will be some this fall.

Following this. I had a 2008 SeaDoo RXT I sold a few years ago due to non-use but the kids are older now and we’d get some use out of it. I miss that thing almost every day.

I also want to get one with an MR-1 and wasn’t fond of the SeaDoo maintenance and reliability aspect but man that thing hauled ass!

I’ve had my eye out for a decent deal for awhile and my budget is lower than yours but even at the $10k mark I haven’t seen much that is worth a look. Most that catch my eye are $12-14k used.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2005 FXHO Cruiser and a 2006 FXHO Cruiser. They have the HO MR-1 engines (we actually had the waverunners first then bought the boat because I liked the engine reliability and ease of service).

Each has less than 100 hours (we really only used them if friends came up to the cabin, as we spent all our time on the boat).

New batteries last year and just did oil/filter changes last weekend.

Took them out for an initial cruise last night - each hit 57mph in light chop with 2 adults on each.

Love them, but they just don't get much use and will get even less now that we sold the cabin.

Looks like NADA is $4500-$5000 each (and that doesn't include the fact that these have such low hours). Nice aluminum Triton trailer with MAYBE 1000 miles on it.

I haven't posted them for sale anywhere (still not sure I want to sell them) but open to an offer.

GeauxDeep

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2005 FXHO Cruiser and a 2006 FXHO Cruiser. They have the HO MR-1 engines (we actually had the waverunners first then bought the boat because I liked the engine reliability and ease of service).

Each has less than 100 hours (we really only used them if friends came up to the cabin, as we spent all our time on the boat).

New batteries last year and just did oil/filter changes last weekend.

Took them out for an initial cruise last night - each hit 57mph in light chop with 2 adults on each.

Love them, but they just don't get much use and will get even less now that we sold the cabin.

Looks like NADA is $4500-$5000 each (and that doesn't include the fact that these have such low hours). Nice aluminum Triton trailer with MAYBE 1000 miles on it.

I haven't posted them for sale anywhere (still not sure I want to sell them) but open to an offer.
My brother-in-law and I are looking to go in on a couple wave runners together. Where are you located?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

As far as I know, and I bought my waverunners thinking that if an engine in my SS 230 ho failed I would scavenge one out if a waverunner, the 1,052 160 hp mr1 engines of Yamaha jet boats were also installed in Yamahas fx line of waverunners from 2003 to to 2008 or 2009. The earlier years had a mix of ho (160 hp) and non ho (140 hp, 992 cc) engines but all came with ho engines after 2006. I’ve got close to 500 hours on my 2006 fx ho cruiser (The black one I’m the pic below, blue is a 2003 with a 140 hp motor) and it’s running as strong as it did when I first bought the ski in 2009 with around 100 hours, probably half of the hours I put on it were at WOT (wide open throttle) top speed is around 58 mph.

you should be able to find a used one in the off season for a lot less than the cost of an ex whichis a fairly new model. As for Seadoo sparks, I’d pass but only because they are totally different skis compared to Yamahas, a lot lighter not as comfortable for long rides but a lot more maneuverable. I’m also not a fan of the plastic hull.
E25C7B79-C95B-421F-A6FF-E1CFD223D533.jpeg

Last edited:

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My brother-in-law and I are looking to go in on a couple wave runners together. Where are you located?
In in Wisconsin, but the OP is scheduled to pick them up this weekend.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As far as I know, and I bought my waverunners thinking that if an engine in my SS 230 ho failed I would scavenge one out if a waverunner, the 1,052 160 hp mr1 engines of Yamaha jet boats were also installed in Yamahas fx line of waverunners from 2003 to to 2008 or 2009. The earlier years had a mix of ho (160 hp) and non ho (140 hp, 992 cc) engines but all came with ho engines after 2006. I’ve got close to 500 hours on my 2006 fx ho cruiser (The black one I’m the pic below, blue is a 2003 with a 140 hp motor) and it’s running as strong as it did when I first bought the ski in 2009 with around 100 hours, probably half of the hours I put on it were at WOT (wide open throttle) top speed is around 58 mph.

you should be able to find a used one in the off season for a lot less than the cost of an ex whichis a fairly new model. As for Seadoo sparks, I’d pass but only because they are totally different skis compared to Yamahas, a lot lighter not as comfortable for long rides but a lot more maneuverable. I’m also not a fan of the plastic hull.
View attachment 125462
Did you do the red accents to the 2006? I have the same model and those aren't stock. I like em 😉.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@thefortunes , thanks. I assume you mean the seat cover. I just ordered it online. If the seat was flat Like the blue ski’s it would have cost $90 but for the cruiser seat the cover was closer to $300. The upholsters I spoke with wanted $400 to $600 to install it. I bought an air powered stapler and stainless steel staples for about $40 Ann did the job in about an hour. The blue tooth speaker is the latest edition for about $120 with the mounts , I recommend that upgrade for all PWCs.

I forgot to mention earlier that I bought the waverunner with the decals already on it. i bought it used so maybe the original owner put the decals on it but I doubt it, he just didn’t seem like the kind of guy who would modify it at all.

Last edited:

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My friend and I purchased @thefortunes skis today. It was a long drive to Madison from Rochester but worth it. His skis looked well taken care of and we even took one of them out on our home lake for a tube run with the kids tonight.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

@Ronnie Thanks for chiming in. The 2006 that I purchased looks just like yours without the seat accents. Have you done any other mods to your ski? The front panels on the left and right tend to rattle at idle so I plan to pull them off to see if I can add any cushioning to tighten them up. I was thinking of drilling holes in the low point of the foot rest for drain holes like the new FX HO's have. I need to study up on the new skis to see what features they have added.