• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I just bought a 2022 Yamaha AR195. Can I use gas from my local gas station?

Bob Moorman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a 2022 Yamaha AR195. Can I use gas from my local filling station as long as it is premium gas?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure, I'd use regular,

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sure, I'd use regular,
195 SVHO requires premium.

You can use ethanol fuel so long as you don’t keep the same fuel in there for months on end. I used it for years. Obviously non-ethanol is best but gas station fuel won’t hurt it.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Respectfully, I don't think you want to run regular with the 195's supercharged engine.

Here is a link to my recent thread on premium gas.

Jim

Bob Moorman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. The dealer said not to use anything that ethenol in it. That's why he said to use premium gas. Just wondering if anybody that had a Yamaha could help.

Bob Moorman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
195 SVHO requires premium.

You can use ethanol fuel so long as you don’t keep the same fuel in there for months on end. I used it for years. Obviously non-ethanol is best but gas station fuel won’t hurt it.
Thanks

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks. The dealer said not to use anything that ethenol in it. That's why he said to use premium gas. Just wondering if anybody that had a Yamaha could help.
Dealer has good intentions but isn't specific enough.

Octane rating and ethanol content are two different things.

Use 91 octane or higher and up to E10 (10% ethanol content) fuel. In Amy combination. Higher octane or lower ethanol content is acceptable at any level. Lower octane or higher ethanol content is not acceptable.

Check you favorite station on the way to the water and fill the boat there. Pump gas for cars is perfectly acceptable so long as you are above the min octane and below the max ethanol.

If possible find E0 fuel for the last few fillups before storing for the winter and include appropriate amount of Stabil fuel stabilizer before storing.

Nightmare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Or it might be the same price to use "Regular" Unleaded and put some Octane Booster into the tank.

Bob Moorman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you everyone. The info was appreciated.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Or it might be the same price to use "Regular" Unleaded and put some Octane Booster into the tank.
It would take a lot of octane booster to equal 93 octane from 87.

When reading octane booster labels, remember that 10 octane points = 1 octane number. So if it says it will raise the octane by 5 points, that means it will go from 87 to 87.5, not 92.

In short, I’d just use the recommended premium fuel and be done with it.

Last edited:

Bob Moorman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I can use 93 at the pump from my local gas station?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What are you actually asking, where else would you buy fuel than a gas station. Your manual is your best resource. Yamaha tells you to use 91 or greater in your model boat with SVHO engine. It also states what the guys above have told you, that ethanol is fine, as long as you avoid storing it with it.

Unless you have an odd station with 100/110 at the pump (which you should not use), you will find 91-93 octane at most stations. Good luck,

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yes. Strongly recommend you use Sam's Club or Costco... you will save a ton of money.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. Strongly recommend you use Sam's Club or Costco... you will save a ton of money.
$0.50-$0.75 less expensive at the Sams Club here, compared to many other places nearby. Worst part is I have to fill up at like 6am on the way into the office because there is always a line to get to the pumps in the afternoon/evening. It's a mess.

Also @Bob Moorman Check with some more rural stations. I have one near me that sells 100 octane E0 "Rec Gas". It's zero % ethanol, has 100 Octane rating, and DOES NOT have the road tax included on it, so it's significantly less expensive (under $2.50/gal last I looked). Can save some cash and get good fuel for your boat this way.

I would steer away from octane boosters. They are unreliable at best, and difficult to manage.

Keep in mind you can always EXCEED the octane rating with no penalty (other than a lighter wallet). You can also go UNDER the ethanol rating with no penalty.

Also, your engine has a knock sensor. This is a device that can measure any predetonation (the result of running low octane fuel in a boosted application). It reports back to the engine management system, and that system will reduce timing ( and performance) to keep the motor safe. SO, if you end up stranded and all you can find is 87Octane E10 fuel, go ahead and get home, and refill with the right stuff when you can. You aren't going to destroy the engine, but you will have decreased performance until proper fuel is restored. This is a REACTIVE system, and only adjusts when there is SOME level of predetonation, so you don't want to rely on this system any more than you have to. Just know that it's there if needed. Use the appropriate fuel as often as you can.

Be happy to elaborate more if needed.

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
In Canada, Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline does not contain ethanol, that is what I have been using at the station pump and at the marina. It has 7x the cleaning agents required to meet federal standards as well, keeps the valves clean.

elcue

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just bought a 2022 Yamaha AR195. Can I use gas from my local filling station as long as it is premium gas?
For real or you messing with us?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
In Canada, Shell V-Power NiTRO+ premium gasoline does not contain ethanol, that is what I have been using at the station pump and at the marina. It has 7x the cleaning agents required to meet federal standards as well, keeps the valves clean.
There are many gas stations here in Chinada with 0% ethanol in premium gas, such as Crappy Tire, Costco, Petro-Crap, etc. Just look at the pump and they're required to post ethanol levels in each grade. Here's a site that helps track stations, but there are many more that also have 0% ethanol fuel. Remember that here in Chinada, we only have TWO fuel suppliers and they provide fuel to every location:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes, as mentioned any 91 octane fuel is perfectly fine for the 195 SVHO engines up to 10% ethanol content.

Affinity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Bob - I have a 2022 195S. I use 93 octane at a normal gas station. But I do add Sta Bil 360 Ethanol treatment each time.

Affinity

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I do wonder though which is better.

normal 93 octane (with up to 10% ethanol)
OR. 90 octane ethanol free

my station has both.