• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I want to go to Bimini 2017

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The other big change coming to Bimini that may significantly decrease my desire to go there is the Ocean Cay MSC Cruise Ship Island https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Cruise-Destinations/Caribbean-Antilles/Bahamas/Ocean-Cay-MSC-Marine-Reserve.aspx

It is being constructed south of Cat Cay and is scheduled to open in late 2017. It is a $200M investment intended to serve more than 2,000 guests at a time.

I think it is likely that those guests will flood Honeymoon Harbor and the Sapona.
With the lighthouse in their rendering I'm wondering if that is not gun cay if so that may even put honeymoon harbor off limits as its part of that island isn't it?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
With the lighthouse in their rendering I'm wondering if that is not gun cay if so that may even put honeymoon harbor off limits as its part of that island isn't it?
Initially I also thought they might have acquired Gun Cay but their mock up is much closer to the shape of Ocean Cay which is further south. Navionics already has buoys, the cruise ship route and the turning basin marked.

image.png image.png

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just read up on it. The boat the island they have been using as a sand dreading island south of Cat Cay. I have meant to go down there and check that area out the past two years I guess next time I will have to go by there.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just read up on it. The boat the island they have been using as a sand dreading island south of Cat Cay. I have meant to go down there and check that area out the past two years I guess next time I will have to go by there.
The Victory Reefs are the best in the Bimini chain. Unfortunately they are between Cat Cay and Ocean Cay. I imagine they and nearby Tuna Alley will be full of tourists in 2018.

We enjoyed snorkeling the Victory Reefs then caught many meals of fish at Tuna Alley in 2015. I plan to take a group for a tour of these reefs in 2017.

If you do go down there be careful of the current. It is sufficient to take snorkelers or divers away from their boats. It is a drift diving area. After discovering this I let a 100' rope float off of the stern and let the boat drift with the snorkelers.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are going to bring a filter I would bring something like a Brita Pitcher. That way you have the satisfaction of filtered water with little expense of time or cost.
That is exactly what we did - we brought a brita filter pitcher, drinking water was deli-sh and no problem for our five.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if an ro system could be hooked up?
and others asking about the water. Bimini Sands has an RO system for making their own water. My company used to provide the treatment for the RO and the RO system is currently run by a very reputable outsourcing firm that operates many resort systems throughout the islands and Mexico. The water is safe to drink.

That being said, there are always taste issues and that is up to the individual. I am not going to tell anyone what to do but provide information. If taste bothers you, as Bruce said, the Brita may be the best option. It isn;t about safety with the water but about taste. Add more rum... problem solved.

When we were there, we used it for ice, ice tea, etc. We had bottled water for our water drinking uses mainly because it was portable for in the boat.

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
hi, newbie here. I'm very interested in the 2017 Bimini Fling. just bought my 2016 190 FSH. I am not sure which boat should I take the 190 FSH or 2006 24 foot cruiser with new engine. Has anyone stay in boat instead of condo?

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hi, newbie here. I'm very interested in the 2017 Bimini Fling. just bought my 2016 190 FSH. I am not sure which boat should I take the 190 FSH or 2006 24 foot cruiser with new engine. Has anyone stay in boat instead of condo?
I'd be all over a boat-stay in the Bimini Sands Marina... go for it!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In 2011, on the maiden voyage to Bimini with the Bimini Tourism Fling, there was a 26' Sea Ray cabin cruiser that the couple stayed on their boat but we were at the Big Game Club not Bimini Sands. I don't know if Bimini Sands has showers available for those that stay on their boat, I do know that the Big Game Club does have showers, so that could be a deciding factor on where to stay.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Sands does have showers. I have used them when we stayed on our boat in February of last year.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
upload_2016-9-14_14-43-12.jpeg

the mosquitos would suck dockside ! you'd have to hang a the bars till sleep time

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone stay in boat instead of condo?
Lots of people are sleeping in their boats in the Bimini Sands Marina every day. Do you have AC? That would be a big factor to me. It is nice to have AC after a long day on the water. You would have to pay for water and power used as well as full price for the slip but you certainly would see savings. Do you have refrigeration on the boat?

View attachment 46129

the mosquitos would suck dockside ! you'd have to hang a the bars till sleep time
Fortunately we have not experienced mosquito problems in 2015 and 2016. They have crews frequently spraying pesticides. Unfortunately you have not graced us with your presence since 2014 when the biting insects were out of control. Hope you and your family get to experience a mosquito free Bimini in 2017!

Sands does have showers. I have used them when we stayed on our boat in February of last year.
I agree, they are located behind and to the left (NW) of the office. They seemed to be reasonably nice for group or campground facilities.

I believe they also have communal laundry facilities.

Last edited:

jayasaki138

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Nautic Star
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great info for my decision making. Thanks everyone! My Glastron 249 GS has built-in microwave, stove and small refrigerator. I can bring LG portable AC but I have not try it in a boat before.

Sebastian Canipe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
PWC
What is everyone thoughts on having two jetski going along with a chase boat to carry the extra supplies

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is everyone thoughts on having two jetski going along with a chase boat to carry the extra supplies
What kind of skis and what is the chase boat?

Skis crossed with the group in 2015. In 2015 the skis were a lot of help when boats had trouble in the rough water. In 2016 two groups of skis were supposed to cross with us. One dropped out when we had to change dates, the second group decided to head back in soon after leaving Fort Lauderdale. They flew over and hung out with friends in Bimini.

We would treat skis just like any other boat. They need to keep up and pull their own weight. As long as that is the case they are fine. If they get out there and find they can not they need to head back in.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I updated the Preparing For Bimini thread to reflect what we have learned from the 2015 and 2016 flings and to lay out an agenda based on the changes @MrMoose and I have been discussing. As of this time all information in the thread is accurate and all links are functional.

I tried to address all the common questions there.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I updated the Preparing For Bimini thread to reflect what we have learned from the 2015 and 2016 flings and to lay out an agenda based on the changes @MrMoose and I have been discussing. As of this time all information in the thread is accurate and all links are functional.

I tried to address all the common questions there.
Except the dates are in it from last year! :thumbsup:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Except the dates are in it from last year! :thumbsup:
Oops I did leave in a few of last years dates. 2017 dates are coming. I would love to announce them before the end of the year but I do need Bimini Sands approval first.