• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I want to go to Bimini 2017

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
I want to ride one of these new ones bad. They are quite a bit bigger then the old ones and appears to much more stable. $10k+ MSRP doesn't sound fun though.
Exactly! But I am definitely at least going to test ride it if they let me? It be awesome if we could rent them, but I suspect that just like the 310LX they are going to be very proud of them, and they are going to be very hot for a while.

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Unfortunately, after discussing things with my Bimini Crew from 2016 and attempting to balance my military and police schedules, we will not be going to Bimini in 2017! :bawling:

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unfortunately, after discussing things with my Bimini Crew from 2016 and attempting to balance my military and police schedules, we will not be going to Bimini in 2017! :bawling:
I am hoping those 2018 plans come together!

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am hoping those 2018 plans come together!
Well @Bruce if it's not Bimini 2018, then maybe it will be Exumas 2018 or Cuba 2018...ha ha ha! That just means I'll have to do more local traveling with the members and maybe put a group together from Hammond Indiana to Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin or something cool like that!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well @Bruce if it's not Bimini 2018, then maybe it will be Exumas 2018 or Cuba 2018...ha ha ha! That just means I'll have to do more local traveling with the members and maybe put a group together from Hammond Indiana to Sturgeon Bay Wisconsin or something cool like that!
Have you been to Shelbyville? The 10th annoversary is next year starting around July 26th. Are you still at training then?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Have you been to Shelbyville? The 10th annoversary is next year starting around July 26th. Are you still at training then?
He hasn't made it yet! This is the year he needs to though!

fromrio

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
New to the forum and very excited on the Bimini Fling next year if I can join you guys. Another Chap with props here too. I've being reading the forum, researching, watching youtube vids and dreaming about it for the last 2 years and now I'm ready to go in 2017. If anyone ever decide to go boating on the Potomac next year, let me know. Can't wait for the 2017 dates. Will be traveling with wife and 2 boys (6 & 11).

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New to the forum and very excited on the Bimini Fling next year if I can join you guys. Another Chap with props here too. I've being reading the forum, researching, watching youtube vids and dreaming about it for the last 2 years and now I'm ready to go in 2017. If anyone ever decide to go boating on the Potomac next year, let me know. Can't wait for the 2017 dates. Will be traveling with wife and 2 boys (6 & 11).
Look forward to having you. Can you tell us more about your boat? Is it a single v8 power plant? Have you boated in salt water? Do you know how salt might effect your engine?

One thing to watch out for in Bimini is that those of us with jets will often boat in shallow or shifting sand areas. There are many areas where all you see is water but it is very shallow. I have discovered sand bars hundreds of yards from shore twice. This was not an issue for my boat and both times I was going slow enough to simply back off. But propped boats do need to be more careful than jets.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Look forward to having you. Can you tell us more about your boat? Is it a single v8 power plant? Have you boated in salt water? Do you know how salt might effect your engine?

One thing to watch out for in Bimini is that those of us with jets will often boat in shallow or shifting sand areas. There are many areas where all you see is water but it is very shallow. I have discovered sand bars hundreds of yards from shore twice. This was not an issue for my boat and both times I was going slow enough to simply back off. But propped boats do need to be more careful than jets.
I can attest to what @Bruce is saying. I have been to Bimini a couple of times in my prior boat, which was an '07 Yamaha SX230, and never worried about the shallow water. This past years trip to Exuma, I went in my new boat which is an I/O and not surprisingly I ran a ground in an area that a jet boat would have probably made it through, a jet ski definitely made it through. The problem, which is actually a good one, in the Bahamas the water is crystal clear so it is almost impossible by eye to tell if you are in 10' of water or 2' of water, it all looks the same. At speed you depth finder is useless because by the time it shows you are in very shallow water it is to late.

1948Isaac

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It definitely wouldn't be a sporty ride but it would be fun to run wide open across the ocean. You could run 50+ all day in those conditions.

I'm waiting for those slow rollers you all talk about. I've only experienced the washing machine.
Lol

fromrio

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Thanks Bruce. It's a 2007 Chaparral 256 SSI with an I/O MerCruiser 350 MAG V8. I've been boating in South Florida for the past two summers. Last year I went down with my 2005 SeaRay 185 Sport and this year with my upgraded Chaparral. My typical summer boating in South Florida was starting the day hanging out at the Haulover Sandbar, them crossed the Haulover Inlet and drive south to Key Biscayne on the beach side. Hang out at the Nixon Sandbar and circle back to Haulover. This is my little experience in Salt Water but nothing compared to crossing the Gulf Stream. I rinse my boat and fresh water flush my I/O engine right after each use on salt water to avoid cooling system corrosion.
If there is any experienced prop boat going on this trip I'll just follow him. Thanks for the warning.

Augusto David Rodriguez

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Bruce,
I will like to go in July... I will return from Afganistan!!I have paid this year and cancelled because the weather and my son is 7th!.
I understand Bimini would work with us for move our deposit to next year!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce,
I will like to go in July... I will return from Afganistan!!I have paid this year and cancelled because the weather and my son is 7th!.
I understand Bimini would work with us for move our deposit to next year!
Be careful over there and thank you for your service!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

fromrio

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey @fromrio ! I'm a former NOVA resident myself (Reston). Proper charts loaded into your MFD/GPS/Chartplotter should help you avoid running aground if read properly. Whatever came loaded from the Mfg. (Garmin/Simrad/Raymarine etc.) is crap.

Navionics is the leader in the industry and they provide daily updates. Best $200 you can spend. https://navionics-store.com/products/platinum-699?utm_source=Main_Site&utm_medium=Product_Page&utm_campaign=Buy_Button
Hi @ClemsonTiger, Thanks for the recommendation. I have Navionics on my Iphone but It's not compatible with Garmin GPSMAP 440S. Your boat seemed to be very well equipped, I'll just follow you.

fromrio

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Has anyone camped on the islands overnight instead of spending the night at the hotel?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Has anyone camped on the islands overnight instead of spending the night at the hotel?
Do you like mosquitos?

I am not aware of anyone camping on land. @OUT ON THE REEF sleeps in his boat which is pretty common with owners of larger boats.

My perspective is that after a long day enjoying the water under the hot sun it is nice to have an air conditioned place to clean up and get some rest.

luckie_529

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is some law about camping in the Bahamas on land. exuma islands have a 5 dollar a night per person for camping. In one video the campers woke up to scorpions all over.