• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ignition switch trouble

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey guys I just had an ignition switch break............the plastic housing broke away from the thread barrel. I could hold it together after removing it from the dash so I was able to start it to get off the bay today. I did have a jumper wire for a hot wire start if need be but it was not needed. Has any one wired in a non Yahama key switch..............it kinda makes me shake my head as to why a set of plastic switches sell for $246 dollars......seriously it just a 3 position marine switch with a couple of extra pass through wires to activate the safeties like the rear hatch, neutral throttle ect.

I have the wiring diagram so wiring in a new switch is not imposable, but I Just thought if SOMEONE HAS GONE BEFORE ME it would be helpful as to what switch you chose..................most 3 position marine switches for Yamaha outboards are universal 8 wire setups so you can wire it many different ways to activate different safety devices and thay are in the $25 dollar range not $245

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update..........I fixed the broken plastic barrel.....I used gel super glue for the first hold.....then rapped thread around the base and went up about 7 threads high on the plastic threads then put a layer of JB weld epoxy........after setting up over night she is locked in super tight. Installed the switch this morning and it appears to be a permeant fix.

Billtex2000

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OMG never thought about backorder.........we were out on the water I just held the barrel and put the 3 key pins back in and started her up, if that did not work, I would have gone to my electrical tool box I keep on board.....it has tape, jumper wires, even a continuity checker just for crazy stuff like this. Been around boating to long(dang I'm showing my age now) in a 5 wire system 1 wire Starter,..........one wire RUN then the final 3 wires are probably 2 safety wires.........and a ground. Neural wire,(in the throttle and Lanyard might be wired together with the last wire....... clean out plug switch being separate.