• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ignition wiring issue

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went to take boat out today and my port engine fired right up. I had nothing from my starboard ignition. The 1st thing I did was swap the wires going to ignition from behind helm and was able to recreate the same issue but with port ignition this time.

Any idea where I can chase the wiring harness to or what to look for.

2006 sx230

Ran 100% fine last tuesday

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Forgot completely about the won't system check list and wife has already towed the boat back towards the house I was meeting her for afternoon off work.

Thinking throttle may have been bumped when putting canvas on will check all of them when get home and report back.

Hope everyone is having a good summer.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went to take boat out today and my port engine fired right up. I had nothing from my starboard ignition. The 1st thing I did was swap the wires going to ignition from behind helm and was able to recreate the same issue but with port ignition this time.

Any idea where I can chase the wiring harness to or what to look for.

2006 sx230

Ran 100% fine last tuesday

if you didn't touch the throttles or anything else it seems like the key ignition issue,

one thing to look for is if the key ignition is spinning along with the key, this is a known issue, the locking nut cracks and when you turn the key the whole switch rotates with it, creating a "no response", being all black it took me a few times to realize it was spinning also,

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if you didn't touch the throttles or anything else it seems like the key ignition issue,

one thing to look for is if the key ignition is spinning along with the key, this is a known issue, the locking nut cracks and when you turn the key the whole switch rotates with it, creating a "no response", being all black it took me a few times to realize it was spinning also,
I tightened down the nut and still didn't help. Throttle position is in neutral. Everything appears to be in good contact with the clean-out plug hatch and those sensors.

I swapped the wiring going into the back of ignition from port to starboard and the key fired up the port motor.

Swapped it back and nothing.

Was out of town for travel baseball so hadn't had chance to look at it until today.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that's great, at least you've isolated it down to the switch, Isn't it great having two engines and can cross reference parts for testing,

I'd pull the ignition switch and test it with a multimeter ( just to confirm ), be careful if you take the switch itself apart, I did and the spring and key parts went flying, now my ignition works with any key and it's "loose" and the key will slide out,

yamaha ignition switches are very expensive, we've got a couple recent threads about them with some inexpensive amazon replacements along with going to a one key, push button start system,

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
that's great, at least you've isolated it down to the switch, Isn't it great having two engines and can cross reference parts for testing,

I'd pull the ignition switch and test it with a multimeter ( just to confirm ), be careful if you take the switch itself apart, I did and the spring and key parts went flying, now my ignition works with any key and it's "loose" and the key will slide out,

yamaha ignition switches are very expensive, we've got a couple recent threads about them with some inexpensive amazon replacements along with going to a one key, push button start system,
I need to edit that. I swapped the port wiring over to the starboard ignition and got port motor to fire up. Did reverse and starboard motor won't fire.

Checked all the switches again today. None of those are ethe issue.

Thinking maybe the ecm as idk what else would keep it from even clicking.

Ground wire to motor is good on both ends motor and battery.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So to summarize my starboard motor is dead from ignition switch back. No click no lights on the rom Guage.

When I disconnect ignition harness from behind helm and plug my port motor into the starboard ignition switchport motor still fires right up.

When I put my starboard motor to port ignition still nothing.

All Electronics on my boat work. Plotter, vhf, stereo, blower ect all good.

I have 2 batteries and switch. I always start the motors up with switch to "all" and never an issue before last trip out.