• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Illinois limits boats to 2 POB

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Today our Illinois governor extended shelter in place through the end of May. Additionally he added requirements limiting boats to only two people. So we can live with more than two people, but apparently we can’t go on our boat together. I support measures to control this pandemic but am I alone in viewing this as excessive?

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Today our Illinois governor extended shelter in place through the end of May. Additionally he added requirements limiting boats to only two people. So we can live with more than two people, but apparently we can’t go on our boat together. I support measures to control this pandemic but am I alone in viewing this as excessive?
Surely, there will be some clarification on that... I hope. I'm counting the days till I get my boat out.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@PeterB Can you point us to the language used in that declaration?
All I can find is this quote from the essential business description.

"Are people permitted to go boating during the Stay-at-Home Order?

Boating is a recreational activity in which groups of people are gathered in small spaces. This is not an essential activity under the EO. Only minimum business operations will be permitted at boat yards and marinas. "

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
From today’s speech. 2nd paragraph in below screenshot.

582019D6-A7CA-4185-A63E-D14BED1AC423.png

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was hoping it was at least limited to State parks, but a reporter asked how they would enforce the boat limit on Lake Michigan and Gov Pritzker said he expected people to follow the rules and “do what’s right” but law enforcement was still instructed to inform not arrest or ticket - at least I won’t go to jail when I ignore it, but I usually stick to the rules so this is a stretch for me

Jores

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Actually it's anyone living in your household plus two other people. There has been clarification on this issue. John

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
As of yesterday and per DNR new post today it was changed to “no more than 2 people per boat”

Jeff Nelson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in Bloomington/Normal and I am only 30 minutes from Clinton Lake which has been closed this whole time. Luckily I also live 1.5 hours from Lake Shelbyville which has NOT closed because it is a US Army Core of Engineers lake.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The problem is the number of people being limited. This is the current DNR Statement:

Thank you for your interest in visiting one of Illinois' State Parks – we're excited to welcome you back! We continue to monitor the spread and effects of COVID-19, working closely with the Office of Governor J.B. Pritzker and the Illinois Department of Public Health. To best serve and protect our visitors and staff, the below locations are open effective May 1:

Parks will be open from sun-up to sundown. Guests will be allowed to engage in activities such as wildlife observation, hiking, biking, equestrian use and fishing (both from the bank and boats with a limit of two persons per boat) and mushroom hunting. All visitor centers, campgrounds, playgrounds, shelter reservations, interpretive educational programs, beaches, special events and concessions will remain closed.

Northwestern Illinois: Argyle Lake State Park, Jubilee College State Park, Lowden State Park, Morrison-Rockwood State Park, Rock Island Trail State Park, Shabbona Lake State Recreation Area

Northeastern Illinois: Chain o' Lakes State Park, Illinois and Michigan Canal State Trail, Kankakee River State Park, Moraine Hills State Park, North Point Marina

East Central Illinois: Clinton Lake State Recreation Area, Eagle Creek State Park, Kickapoo State Park, Wolf Creek State Park

West Central Illinois: Eldon Hazlet State Recreation Area, Jim Edgar Panther Creek State Fish and Wildlife Area, Sangchris Lake State Park, Siloam Springs State Park, Washington County State Recreation Area

Southern Illinois: Fort Massac State Park, Giant City State Park, Stephen A Forbes State Recreation Area, Wayne Fitzgerrell State Recreation Area

Safety

Our primary concern is the health and safety of our visitors. If you do choose to visit one of our state parks, please remember to:

• Practice social distancing by keeping at least six feet of distance between yourself and others;
  • Please stay home if you are sick or feeling any symptoms, such as fever, coughing, troubled breathing, and/or other flu-like symptoms;
  • Visit alone or with members of your household;
  • Stay local and visit parks that are closest to where you live;
  • If you arrive at a park and crowds are forming, please move to another area or return another time/day to visit; and
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper arm/elbow.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Limiting to less than at least your household makes no sense whatsoever. Further, this goes until May 30th so Memorial weekend is now compromised.

I think I'll be pulling several tubes - they aren't on the boat, and more than 6 feet away!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I read this as limited while you are in the Park. It refers to "Guests" and only limits boat guests while fishing when discussing what activities are allowed. I would not worry about this too much unless you were inside the state park, but that's just me.

Jores

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Chain of Lakes- the lakes themselves not the state park which he may be referring to. Additionally, no boats tied together-they must be anchored ten ft. apart. Fines are high and can be levied against boat owners and passengers.

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I listened to JB’s address and following questions yesterday - he was very specific that boating is limited to 2 people and specifically addressed a question about Lake Michigan where he said it applied - so not just at the parks or ramps. Enforcement may not be too aggressive though as he stated they hoped people would follow the rule but did not intend to make arrests or issue fines - Either way I see this as an unreasonable attack on our boating lifestyle

PeterB

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
One on Saturday the other on Sunday of course

KC-AR240

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Limiting to less than at least your household makes no sense whatsoever. Further, this goes until May 30th so Memorial weekend is now compromised.

I think I'll be pulling several tubes - they aren't on the boat, and more than 6 feet away!
But....... You can still have 5 people in your car driving to the grocery store.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The things we put up with in the People’s Republic of IL baffle me. So here’s a breakdown for those of you in normal states...

1. May 1st they are opening retail locations for curbside pickup only. Ok fine. Id say 50% of stores have been open the whole time because they were deemed “essential”. We've been visiting these stores since March 17th as normal, no requirement for face covering. Now though, as of May 1, it’s going to be mandatory to cover your face in public. Seems scientific to me...

2. As mentioned above, I can sit on the couch with my whole family, we can ride in a closed car together, but only 2 of us can be on the boat outside.

3. The president of one of our legislative branches is planning to ask the federal government for $40.6 BILLION dollars as a bailout. Governor Porkchop says IL will NEVER file bankruptcy because it makes the cost of borrowing too high. Oh BTW, that $40 bil is to cover pension liabilities that have been building for decades.

4. In addition, the budget was released a few weeks ago. It includes many hundreds of millions for state employee unions for raises. When asked if he was going to work to roll those back or postpone, he said to a quote “this is a contract, we can’t change it. These people haven’t had a raise in 4 years, it was agreed prior, blah blah.“ Many of these people have been sitting home since the stay home order. He couldn’t believe someone would have the audacity to ask about holding off on raises. I took a pay CUT to stay employed, as have many of my fellow Illinoisians. By the way if you don’t know how it works here, you work for the state picking up trash at a park you make $30/hr to start.

I realize this is a bit of a rant, and might border on political, but it’s purpose is mainly to inform. Inform those of you out there who might not understand what it’s like living in a state like this, and why our population has a net DECLINE of about 52,000 people a year. I think it was roughly 1 person leaving the state every 5 seconds.

mrdubean1

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2 people! Horrible. Hopefully there will be some clarification on it soon. Like someone said, you live in a household of 3-4, why cant you all go out on the boat together?
We have also adhered to the rules and have quarantined ourselves for more than a month. The first day that's nice in Long Island, I'm putting the boat in the water with my small family. Rules are rules.