• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller Housing Galvanic Corrosion and Pump Bolt Thread Size

ross l

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I pulled a pump because impeller housing ringing. The ringing was getting severe. I think I will have to replace the housing because of the galvanic corrosion issue. It seems like the whole housing is getting smaller evenly rather than a few raised spots that I've seen on other posts. Anyone have a similar experience?

One of the bolts came out very hard and had buildup on the threads. I want to run a tap into that hole to clean the threads. I think they are 10mm X 1.25. Anyone know the thread size?

Thanks

IMG_0136.jpg

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I pull my pumps down to the transom plates every spring to grease all the bolts. Imo it should be routine maintenance. Once you do it you can do it in 5 min. If you dont what you end up with is seized bolts and snapped off heads. Once the pump liner starts getting corrosion behind it then it time to replace that.

Dan Ruehl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I pulled a pump because impeller housing ringing. The ringing was getting severe. I think I will have to replace the housing because of the galvanic corrosion issue. It seems like the whole housing is getting smaller evenly rather than a few raised spots that I've seen on other posts. Anyone have a similar experience?

One of the bolts came out very hard and had buildup on the threads. I want to run a tap into that hole to clean the threads. I think they are 10mm X 1.25. Anyone know the thread size?

Thanks

View attachment 134691
Same issue…did you find the correct tap?

ross l

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I did not get the correct thread size and did not use a tap.
I did clean both male and female threads. Then I carefully used the bolts as a tap using lubrication. I screwed them in and backed them out frequently, just like you would do with a tap.
I think I got some shavings but I don't recall exactly.
It worked without issue.
I will see if it is still good shortly because I need to pull them for inspection before I put the boat in.
Good Luck!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is a trick I learned years ago before a lot of you folks were even born and it still works . When installing stainless bolts through aluminum especially if you run in salt water coat the bolts with bees wax, water has no effect on it and it is very inexpensive. I always coated my impeller in the lower units of my outboard engines with it to prevent the impeller from wearing down at slow speeds , years later you could still feel the wax on the water pump impeller. Newer fixes for the pump liners as for avoiding the dissimilar metal corrosion of the pump liners I replace them with the newer pump liner sections that use the nylon liners having great luck with them and no more noise in the pump and the liners are replaceable. Also in salt water add zinc anodes to your pumps.