• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller housing replacement (OEM or WSM??)

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The reason I suggested them is I have used those for years with great results.
One thing I have learned in my 55 years of boating experience is buy a part not a price. Do it once and do it correctly. Either way you are changing the pump liner section of your pump but once you do if you ever have an issue with the impeller sucking in rocks or other trash and the liner gets damaged you just have to replace the liner down the road I drive my stuff very hard if I don't break it that is saying something for it's durability. The one thing people just forget is backing off the trailer or a beach is probably the most problematic for jet propelled watercraft as the reverse thrust shoots down under the boat and throws up all sorts of sand small rocks and debris . This is probably the number one cause of pump and impeller damage. so keep that in mind. I not only beat the heck out of my Yamaha skies I drive them W O T in extremely shallow water , in this video I was testing the new steering out and was doing 60 in less than a foot of water and just about touching the mangroves when I turned. Me testing out the extreme handling capabilities of the new 2021 FX HO skies and in this video I was also driving hard to test the new steering including standing on the seat no hands and then leaning down to turn the ski This water is very shallow as well. testing the extreme handling capabilities of my new 2021 fx ho skies and driving while standing on the seat including turning the handle bars from the top of the seat .

Thanks for your insight!
My impeller housings came in on Friday (1/14), so I hand delivered them to the Walker's marina down in Cape Coral. They seemed like real nice group of folks. I talked with the tech who is working on my boat. He looked at the housings that I brought to him and seemed generally impressed with the parts. Although he was not aware of the new style nylon sleeve. A second technician joined the conversation. I told them that the folks on the jet boater forum said that the nylon sleeves were the way to go. They were VERY aware of Cobra Jet Steering. They said they are installing them all the time.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for your insight!
My impeller housings came in on Friday (1/14), so I hand delivered them to the Walker's marina down in Cape Coral. They seemed like real nice group of folks. I talked with the tech who is working on my boat. He looked at the housings that I brought to him and seemed generally impressed with the parts. Although he was not aware of the new style nylon sleeve. A second technician joined the conversation. I told them that the folks on the jet boater forum said that the nylon sleeves were the way to go. They were VERY aware of Cobra Jet Steering. They said they are installing them all the time.
Got my impeller housings replace. Drove the boat from Walker's marina in Cape Coral all the way up to my home in Punta Gorda. Pretty long trip. Think it took almost 3 hours. Trip I had never done before so was taking it easy. Plus there were a few slow Manatee zones. The boat worked great.

Dan Ruehl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Got my impeller housings replace. Drove the boat from Walker's marina in Cape Coral all the way up to my home in Punta Gorda. Pretty long trip. Think it took almost 3 hours. Trip I had never done before so was taking it easy. Plus there were a few slow Manatee zones. The boat worked great.

Dan Ruehl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey…what are your thoughts on Walkers?

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey…what are your thoughts on Walkers?
I thought they were OK. I have only dealt with the folks in Cape Coral (on 46st Lane SE ....I think). The folks I dealt with were nice enough and fixed my boat pretty quickly once I got them the parts. My repairs ended up to be kind of expensive (I think $1900)...but that included them trailing my boat from Punta Gorda. Oh and they seem to fix what they said was the issue....knock on wood my boat running great.

Where are you located and what do you need done?

Dan Ruehl

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I thought they were OK. I have only dealt with the folks in Cape Coral (on 46st Lane SE ....I think). The folks I dealt with were nice enough and fixed my boat pretty quickly once I got them the parts. My repairs ended up to be kind of expensive (I think $1900)...but that included them trailing my boat from Punta Gorda. Oh and they seem to fix what they said was the issue....knock on wood my boat running great.

I have the same issues. Impeller housings swelled. I got the parts shipped for about $550 and am doing it myself. I’m just wondering incase I have an issue I can’t figure out. I’m still waiting for a marina to really cover swfl for Yamaha.

PortTobacco II

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same issues. Impeller housings swelled. I got the parts shipped for about $550 and am doing it myself. I’m just wondering incase I have an issue I can’t figure out. I’m still waiting for a marina to really cover swfl for Yamaha.
I was going to mention the video from Cpt Leon.....but see you commented on his Youtube video 10 days ago. LOL
If I was stilling living in my house in Maryland, I would have done this job myself. Does NOT look too hard. Good luck!!

Xwinger61

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
So my question is whats the cost of a replacement ring. Seeing some for over $100+

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have never used any other source than S B T and you can look up the cost but I have had excellent results I probably have one of the liners sitting here for backup but never had to use it I also have a set of pump bearings I never opened sitting in my office just for a backup. if any one is interested.

Scooter Scott

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My starboard housing sounds like it is making a noise related to the housing. Its a very small ticking noise right now. Not near as loud as I've heard on the interwebz. I'm going to try and take it apart this weekend to look at it. I know you recommend SBT but I'm also wanting to check out other options. I see WSM, JSP, JSI, OEM. I'm assuming the OEM has been updated to not have this issue anymore?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A small ticking sound forgetaboutit that is nothing to worry about when it is a ringing sound or the boat cranks really slow for the first time you use it after it has been sitting for a few weeks but starts fine after the first startup that is when you want to look into it. Also never assume anything I hear horror stories about other manufacturers plastic liner sections and that was why I said what I said I have had no issues using those However I have no experience with any other brand so I can not comment on them.

Scooter Scott

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A small ticking sound forgetaboutit that is nothing to worry about when it is a ringing sound or the boat cranks really slow for the first time you use it after it has been sitting for a few weeks but starts fine after the first startup that is when you want to look into it.
Thank you! I think I still want to buy one and replace it before I put it up for the winter. I'm always a buy in the middle kind of guy. SBT seems to be on the higher side. What would be a good middle ground replacement?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Where are you getting your info all I know is I have had people warn me about the plastic liners people who work on these boats and I have had good results with the ones I use I would certainly be careful about a cheaper one. .

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
just ask them I would be surprised if they did not they may not have them listed but that is up to you it's your boat .

Scooter Scott

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
just ask them I would be surprised if they did not they may not have them listed but that is up to you it's your boat .
Keep in mind Jeff I'm not disagreeing with your suggestion. I'm just diving into this for the first time so I'm looking at all avenues.

I just gave them a buzz and they in fact do not have any for my boat.