• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Impeller Removal Tool?

paratrooper39

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
impeller.JPG

@itsdgm in San Diego, boat is on Mission bay!

@Scottintexas that isn't a half bad idea. I should consider that maybe in the coming weeks and check with the dealership here and see what they would charge. The current state of my impeller I believe is what is causing my pulling issues. I did add the L13 pump cone which certainly helped in turns but I still feel like I'm slipping.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@paratrooper39 i agree with @Scottintexas this would probably take less than 30 min for you to pull the pump. It should be a pretty simple task for a shop that can service waverunners/jet skis. I know of a guy up here in Orange County, but there have to be several guys in your area that could swap out an impeller pretty easily and much faster and cheaper than a dealer.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just bought mine about a month and a half ago in Nebraska (I live in OKC, OK). This is my first boat and even though I did a lot of research beforehand, I didn't know enough to look at the impeller or it had slipped my mind.

It runs great with lighter loads and during the test run, we got up to 51-52mph. Figured everything had to be good to hit those speeds. It has ran like that since I've had it home as well, it's just under the heavier loads is when I start having plane issues.

I have watched a few videos and read up on how to change it, I just can't seem to find the part number of the removal tool. Seems easy enough with a little elbow grease.

Currently been boating at Arcadia Lake which has a sand/mud bottom. The guy I bought it from used to run it straight up on the banks of where he boated, so I'm assuming he picked up several rocks doing that?
I am having no luck getting the old impeller to break loose....

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We've had members have to use giant cheater bars, pull on them with vehicles and even just have to grind them off
Maybe a pwc shop might help you

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm thinking because it did suck a big enough rock to stop the motor it's on way tighter than factory...

dcnorman07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm thinking because it did suck a big enough rock to stop the motor it's on way tighter than factory...
That was my fear when I went to do mine. How do you have the spline end contained? I saw on here somewhere where someone used their Jeep. Not saying I would do that, but if it came down to it, it may not be a bad idea if you're having problems getting enough torque to bust the impeller loose because the spline end is moving around.

I also used a hefty amount of PB Blaster and sat the impeller upright to let it soak in overnight. Not sure if it helped any or not, but it definitely didn't hurt anything and we didn't have too much of an issue once we got the unit secured to the table.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That was my fear when I went to do mine. How do you have the spline end contained? I saw on here somewhere where someone used their Jeep. Not saying I would do that, but if it came down to it, it may not be a bad idea if you're having problems getting enough torque to bust the impeller loose because the spline end is moving around.

I also used a hefty amount of PB Blaster and sat the impeller upright to let it soak in overnight. Not sure if it helped any or not, but it definitely didn't hurt anything and we didn't have too much of an issue once we got the unit secured to the table.
You need the spline tool - to hold that end of the splined shaft in a LARGE vice, and a really big cheater bar. Keep in mind this is a left handed thread, you will be pushing down on an impeller wrench while standing in front of a set up like this:

It was @CrankyGypsy who invented the "method" of holding a vice with a Jeep.
Ill try to find the tool part #.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/ar190-impeller.13972/#post-241922

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
What I found was the specific tool I needed was on a national back order . I ended up putting the shaft in a bench vise ( I know it marked the shaft some) and then putting a pipe wrench on it as well.. the more torque I put on the impeller the tighter the pipe wrench ( with the handle pushing against the edge of the bench) became... this worked well for not having the correct tool... I will be ordering the correct tool in case I have to do this again.. BTW buffed out any marks I put on the shaft.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You all welcome to borrow mine, not planning on using it in the next few weeks. Just PM me with your address, and then please send it back as soon as you're done.

--

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You all welcome to borrow mine, not planning on using it in the next few weeks. Just PM me with your address, and then please send it back as soon as you're done.

--
Thx... I am thinking after how long of a delay it took to get impeller and tool I will be ordering both to have on hand ... in case of next time

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I was really worried about getting mine off, but it was no trouble at all. I did it on the floor with no vise. 24" pipe wrench on the shaft holding tool and a 27mm wrench with a 3' breaker bar on the impeller. I stood on the splined end of the shaft and pushed down on the 3' breaker bar. Popped right off. There was a really good coating of anti sieze on the threads from the factory, and there was no corrosion. I think the type of water you boat in has everything to do with the difficulty of the removal.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I was already working on a solution if mine was stuck. I was thinking about putting the shaft and impeller in a cooler of ice water, then pull it out and hit the impeller with a torch while torquing on it.

When I changed my supercharger impeller, I used the same idea. After working on it for an hour, I put it in the freezer for 20 minutes. Took it out, hit it with a butane torch and the bolt practically fell off.