• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

In this specific case, is it worth going diesel?

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Go drive them both. I drove the ram hemi and the diesel. Thinking I'd like the diesel way better. I liked how the hemi drove much better than the diesel. I like diesel, my rv is e450 with the 7.3psd, but only in applications where towing is the majority of your use. It's loud, only one pump at lots of stations, cost more a lot of the time, by it gets slightly better mpg.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In this specific case I think it is close. If you plan on being loaded down with family and gear go with the diesel though. I am not sneezing at the 340 torque on the gas option but that is after all SC so that engine is stressed to the max towing uphill with high O2 and fast rpms. The TD will handle that better. If your wife is anything like mine (my guess is yes based on the Durango R/T) she will smile at the sound of that TD when she steps on the go pedal.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
In *any* case, it's always worth going diesel. Just my opinion.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was just poking around on the Canadian Mercedes website. It appears that their build tool does not offer bluetec engines on the SUVs (I didn't check cars). So I searched "bluetec problems" and found an article that outlines some pretty big problems:
http://www.stephensservice.com/bluetec-diesel-issuesproblems/
Interesting read, and some good info -- thanks for posting.
But, I think this guy's got some issues. And his tirade at the end of "the epiphany" -- just not very believable/convincing to me at all, certainly not my experience with dealer maintained cars these days.

--

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interesting read, and some good info -- thanks for posting.
But, I think this guy's got some issues. And his tirade at the end of "the epiphany" -- just not very believable/convincing to me at all, certainly not my experience with dealer maintained cars these days.

--
Well, what that guy says, combined with the fact that there are 3 times more used Bluetec vehicles for sale than gassers in Calgary, plus the fact that I can't order a new Mercedes Benz SUV with a Bluetec engine on the Canadian website, ... makes me think that something is up. @swatski, just Google "Bluetec class action" and you'll see that there are lots of lawsuits in the works.
https://kmlaw.ca/cases/mercedes-bluetec-class-action/

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, what that guy says, combined with the fact that there are 3 times more used Bluetec vehicles for sale than gassers in Calgary, plus the fact that I can't order a new Mercedes Benz SUV with a Bluetec engine on the Canadian website, ... makes me think that something is up. @swatski, just Google "Bluetec class action" and you'll see that there are lots of lawsuits in the works.
https://kmlaw.ca/cases/mercedes-bluetec-class-action/
I admit to ignorance about MB diesels as I have not looked into those in years. But I do know some things about Audi TDIs. That first MB guy you cited makes some interesting points, but he also makes some generalizations about clean diesels that are total bs and make me a bit uneasy taking him for granted (as an objective expert).

That other link w/MB class action is just a bunch of crap, IMHO. How could you give much credence to what's said in those class action lawsuits, those are mostly vultures jumping in on the VW dieselgate wagon. Of course there are emission issues -- a cold diesel engine is less clean than a warmed up one (duh?!) but the whole discussion is misplaced.

The feedback on 3.0 TDIs and RAM Ecodiesel in forums and such is about as good as you would want or expect for any extremely reliable brands. And that I believe. My own short experience with Q7 TDI has been fantastic, extra expenses notwithstanding.

--

Last edited:

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I admit to ignorance about MB diesels as I have not looked into those in years. But I do know some things about Audi TDIs. That first MB guy you cited makes some interesting points, but he also makes some generalizations about clean diesels that are total bs and make me a bit uneasy taking him for granted (as an objective expert).

That other link w/MB class action is just a bunch of crap, IMHO. How could you give much credence to what's said in those class action lawsuits, those are mostly vultures jumping in on the VW dieselgate wagon. Of course there are emission issues -- a cold diesel engine is less clean than a warmed up one (duh?!) but the whole discussion is misplaced.

The feedback on 3.0 TDIs and RAM Ecodiesel in forums and such is about as good as you would want or expect for any extremely reliable brands. And that I believe. My own short experience with Q7 TDI has been fantastic, extra expenses notwithstanding.

--
Is the Q7TDI affected by Dieselgate?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes to a lesser extent (http://www.autoblog.com/2016/12/16/volkswagen-tdi-v6-emissions-settlement/), and so is Ram. My guess is that all the "clean diesel" vehicles will end up with settlements unless the new administration halts those actions. I would also guess that Mercedes dropped the Bluetec 350 due to these attacks on the industry. The performance of the vehicles has not changed. The VW and Audi cars that are being destroyed are better vehicles than most Americans are driving.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. They have announced an agreement with the US Justice, essentially similar if not identical to that with 2.0TDIs.
Who knows. Right now the only thing for sure is you can not buy those new. It is a mess.
I'm still waiting to get the call to bring my 2.0 TDI Passat in, have submitted all paperwork months ago. I just started driving it again, figured might as well.

The Passat I'm letting go (simply can not refuse what they offer). The Q7 I plan on keeping, but I guess we will see.

--

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your question is right on the borderline making either choice viable, but the edge goes to the gasser. We now only own diesels and LOVE the towing power, but previously had a gasser in the mix. Granted, it was a Hemi. For the very few times a year you're going to tow, I just have to say it's harder to justify the oil burner. Finding fuel is not a problem as every Semi Truck needs fuel. So as long as you are within50 miles of a well traveled highway you will never have an issue finding any. But the expense initially is tremendous compared to the gasser. And you will never own it long enough to see the savings come back in less fuel used. My recommendation (and I love Diesels) is the gasser for your needs. You just don't tow enough and could spend all that extra $$ on boat upgrades!