• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Indicator light/led of kill switch function

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So...random thoughts...

I know the with key in Off position, and or with lanyard disconnected, there is some ground to each engine to turn it off if it's running... Any consequence to tapping into this ground with an indicator light to show when it's in this position, so if you have forgotten to engage the lanyard, you have indication prior to the engine not starting? Or if the switch fails, you can see the indicator that ground is being sent to engine to shut it off???

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thought: Ooooooooh! I love this idea. Like an LED on the dash that lights when the kill switch is activated. Maybe two (one for the cleanout switches and one for the lanyard). But good question as to whether such a thing would interfere with the operation of the switches.

My inclination (without research or experience) is that if you did it directly it may (but is not likely--the draw from an LED is tiny), but if you did it with a relay you should be ok. But watching this in any event....

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting Thought. The Auto/coil full size relays do not have a minimal draw. (80 Ohms at 12v is about 1.8W - I had to look all this up) and LEDs draw almost nothing, so it seems powering the LED is less intensive than drawing to power a full size relay. (Miniature or reed relay may be different/lower) but the LED draws so little I might be OK.