• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installed an Electric Winch

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I got into a situation where I can’t manually winch the boat any longer. @GTBRMC recommended installing an electric winch. Wonderful idea! I thought it was going to be a simple transition. Take one off, put the other one on. Nope! Had to cut through the welding to get the cover off the manual winch and then drill new holes for the electric one, so if you decide to do this, give yourself a day. I had to position the electric one closer to the boat so the cable wouldn’t rub against the trailer. Winches are expensive but I found this one for $129.00. It advertises as a marine winch. It only winds up electronically. It doesn’t release electronically. That’s fine though. I just keep it tight like the old winch and then let the weight of the boat pull it out by releasing the tension once I’m in the water. My only concern is that it’s a cable and not a strap. If that thing ever broke, it could do some damage I guess, but I don’t think It’s under a lot of stress. Here’s some pics. Video is too large a file to upload.

Attachments

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What/how are you powering the winch?
Right now, I just have a spare battery in the back of my Armada and I just hook it up to that. They give plenty of wire though to hook it up to the car battery. That’s the ultimate plan. They recommend not keeping it wired to the car battery when not in use. I don’t see the harm in keeping it wired though and just plug it into the winch when I need it.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Very cool @sunbyrned but here are few thoughts/questions:

1. Did you consider / try power loading instead of the winching?

2. instead of a car battery why not go with a smaller 12v like those in personal water craft?

3. I’ve seen some setups where the battery is installed in a lock box that is permanently mounted to the trailer tongue.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Very cool @sunbyrned but here are few thoughts/questions:

1. Did you consider / try power loading instead of the winching?

2. instead of a car battery why not go with a smaller 12v like those in personal water craft?

3. I’ve seen some setups where the battery is installed in a lock box that is permanently mounted to the trailer tongue.
All good suggestions. The battery in the back of the car is a small 12v. I power up as far as I can comfortably and then just winch the rest. Maybe six inches or so. Since I can’t see the roller when I power on, I never know when to stop, so I just base it on feel. I don’t want to over push it. I like the idea of putting the battery on the trailer. I’ll look into that possibility. I think I would prefer that than wiring it to the car battery. Thanks!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All good suggestions. The battery in the back of the car is a small 12v. I power up as far as I can comfortably and then just winch the rest. Maybe six inches or so. Since I can’t see the roller when I power on, I never know when to stop, so I just base it on feel. I don’t want to over push it. I like the idea of putting the battery on the trailer. I’ll look into that possibility. I think I would prefer that than wiring it to the car battery. Thanks!
I assume this would be like any other RV Battery setup. Just put a small battery box on the tongue, then hook the leads to the appropriate pins on the 7-prong plug on your Armada. Might have to put a new end on your trailering wiring, but that's not nearly as hard as the winch install you just did.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I assume this would be like any other RV Battery setup. Just put a small battery box on the tongue, then hook the leads to the appropriate pins on the 7-prong plug on your Armada. Might have to put a new end on your trailering wiring, but that's not nearly as hard as the winch install you just did.
Hey Neighbor! Thanks for chiming in. Help me out with what you’re saying. I was thinking I would just put the battery I’m currently using onto the trailer and just keep the winch connected to it. What is the advantage of connecting to the Armada pins? (I’m sure I’m missing the obvious.) Thanks!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Neighbor! Thanks for chiming in. Help me out with what you’re saying. I was thinking I would just put the battery I’m currently using onto the trailer and just keep the winch connected to it. What is the advantage of connecting to the Armada pins? (I’m sure I’m missing the obvious.) Thanks!
Hooking battery to Armada provides a means to recharge the battery while hooked to the truck, as well as a backup source of voltage if the battery is weak while you're loading.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hooking battery to Armada provides a means to recharge the battery while hooked to the truck, as well as a backup source of voltage if the battery is weak while you're loading.
Oh, nice! I didn’t realize that would actually recharge it. That makes sense. Thanks!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You can easily swap out that steel rope for synthetic rope or a strap. I have swapped three steel ropes out for synthetic rope on SXS's. It's not hard, and highly recommended.

1. the steel rope will rust
2. the steel rope will kink at the wrong time
3. after your first steel rope splinter, you will wish you had swapped it, or were wearing gloves while winching.

Good luck!

King

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kudos on having an old-school drill that uses a chuck key!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Another possible alternative is to replace the battery entirely and power the winch from your tow vehicle’s trailering harness (assuming it has a 7 pin round connector).

I recommend that you also consider installing a ramp n clamp (auto bow eye and bow stop lock). if used correctly you can almost eliminate the need for a winch altogether but I keep both available in case I ever boat at a place that doesn’t allow power loading or I can’t get the ramp n clamp to work properly.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Another possible alternative is to replace the battery entirely and power the winch from your tow vehicle’s trailering harness (assuming it has a 7 pin round connector).

I recommend that you also consider installing a ramp n clamp (auto bow eye and bow stop lock). if used correctly you can almost eliminate the need for a winch altogether but I keep both available in case I ever boat at a place that doesn’t allow power loading or I can’t get the ramp n clamp to work properly.

Cool! I’ll have to look into both of those. I should have mentioned earlier when I was talking about powering onto the trailer, I used to do that but I found I couldn’t ever get the boat to sit right on the trailer. I would have to back it down the ramp again and realign. By winching it, that eliminated all that. Do you ever have alignment problems with the ramp n clamp?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@sunbyrned , I don’t experience problems horizontally aligning the boat with the ramp n clamp, once the hull makes contact with the bunks the boat will center up on the trailer and with the ramp n clamp, assuming the bunks are mounted / positioned correctly. I do sometimes have problems aligning the boat vertically, usually when I’m at a ramp I’m not familiar with. This is remedied by backing the trailer into the ramp further but sometimes I need to pull the trailer out, this all depends on the steepness of the ramp. As a general guidline I will attempt to use the ramp n clamp twice, after that I’m pulling the boat onto the trailer and / or winching it on.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh, nice! I didn’t realize that would actually recharge it. That makes sense. Thanks!
Pin 4 of the 7 pin connector is 12V Power. This is intended for powering a breakaway battery for charging a battery for a electric brakes that would trigger if the trailer separated from the vehicle.

I would us a kit like this https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-20099-Engager-System-Battery/dp/B000CMHVBW

Just install the battery box and run wires directly from the battery leads to your winch. The 5Ah battery should be able to power the winch for seven minutes on each charge. It is likely to recharge the power used to winch the boat on the way home. If needed it will get extra charging on the way back to the ramp.

The advantage to this is that the battery box has charge controlling built in.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce can the extra/dedicated battery be eliminated entirely by wiring the winch directly to the fourth pin on the tow vehicle’s wiring harness?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce can the extra/dedicated battery be eliminated entirely by wiring the winch directly to the fourth pin on the tow vehicle’s wiring harness?
I do not know what 12v winch he has but looking at the manual for a similar winch I see a reported maximum draw of 21 amps. I believe the charging circuit on the 7 pin connector of my GMC truck is rated for 10 amps. So I think that adding a small battery in the circuit would be best.

If there was a desire to reduce the size of the battery three 18650 lithium ion batteries rated for a 25 amp draw with a BMS would handle the winching and manage charging. Probably $30 of parts. The kit above is easier than building your own.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I do not know what 12v winch he has but looking at the manual for a similar winch I see a reported maximum draw of 21 amps. I believe the charging circuit on the 7 pin connector of my GMC truck is rated for 10 amps. So I think that adding a small battery in the circuit would be best.

If there was a desire to reduce the size of the battery three 18650 lithium ion batteries rated for a 25 amp draw with a BMS would handle the winching and manage charging. Probably $30 of parts. The kit above is easier than building your own.
All these great suggestions pouring in. I should have asked first before installing. I would have done it all differently. Ha! I need a 21 amps, so the kit you’re suggesting will work. Thank you for this idea!

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Pin 4 of the 7 pin connector is 12V Power. This is intended for powering a breakaway battery for charging a battery for a electric brakes that would trigger if the trailer separated from the vehicle.

I would us a kit like this https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-20099-Engager-System-Battery/dp/B000CMHVBW

Just install the battery box and run wires directly from the battery leads to your winch. The 5Ah battery should be able to power the winch for seven minutes on each charge. It is likely to recharge the power used to winch the boat on the way home. If needed it will get extra charging on the way back to the ramp.

The advantage to this is that the battery box has charge controlling built in.
Just ordered it. Thanks!