• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installed sea deck and not to ecstatic about it.

Jade63

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I'm looking for others that has installed this and can tell me if its normal for the placement of the starboard capt chair to be so off. I farted around with that peice for about 45min trying to get it centered before I stuck it place. Take a look at the pics and give me your thoughts please. The overall look is awesome but having a hard time with knowing that that peice is off kilter. I really hope it's not normal.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if Yamaha installed the seat base off center or if there is a standard variation in the mounting?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks great! but I agree, that piece would drive me freaking crazy... I wonder if @Bruce is right and the chair is out of position, or the piece was cut wrong. Although, I don't think anyone but you would ever notice that minor detail.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How did it look (the other edges) if you center the hole on the base?

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
When I installed that piece, I cut that thin edge so I didn't have to take the seat off and thus, made the hole an almost perfect fit.

David Decker

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I can understand why it would bother you since you installed it and had to fight with it. I would have found it frustrating. But it won't be as noticeable with the seat in place, and I like the PlastiDip idea - that will peel right off if you work up an edge and pull on it hard, so it is not permanent like spray paint. Making this black would make it much less noticeable.

It is disappointing that this piece either isn't cut right, or that Yamaha varies the mounting position of that seat. Maybe Yamaha has tweaked the mounting position of the seat from year to year?

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I too like the plasti dip idea, but honestly your job is really well done and you won't see the offset because it's on the far starboard side and the seat will cover it nicely! Nice Job too!

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a slight problem, not enough to bother me though but I was a little disappointed that most of the pieces didn't cover the popper holes.
image.png

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same issue with my 190 kit, it just didn't line up well in any direction, its hidden by the seat so i forget about it.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I get it, and get what everyones saying...

But man, I tell ya. If I pay over a G for something, that shit better be right. My OCD can't deal with that. That's *why* I pay someone else to do it, because I know if I cut it myself it'd look like that.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'd it were me, I'd ask the seller to make it right if I could first verify that my seat post was in the same place it is in similar boats.

@Jade63 , you still have a bad a$$ boat. Your glass is more than half full, just ask the next guy staring at your boat from the shore.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I get the complaints everyone has here about it. I hate to hear the bashing against the seller though, I assume you mean Will at Jetboat pilot. He is the greatest guy out there, supports us and stands behind his product like no other supplier. He cuts his product with a CNC machine, which means computer controlled and means they are cut exact. His templates are only as good as what WE have supplied to him. Now think about that, if these templates fit well on most boats and miss on a few, think about how these parts are installed at Yamaha. Now we are getting closer to the problem. I am not bashing on Yamaha either here but pointing out a reality of manufacturing. Locate in place in the field. Yes, it may be off a 1/4" and the result is what you are seeing here.

My opinion, yeah it could be done better and more consistently by Yamaha, but it is the realities of manufacturing.

Now to truly put myself in the same boat as all of you, this weekend I am installing my SeaDek. I am sure I will run into the same issues... :banghead: Just trying to set the record straight that the problem is not our supplier. If there are concerns about the templates, you certainly have the opportunity to make your own template when you order too.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I get the complaints everyone has here about it. I hate to hear the bashing against the seller though, I assume you mean Will at Jetboat pilot. He is the greatest guy out there, supports us and stands behind his product like no other supplier. He cuts his product with a CNC machine, which means computer controlled and means they are cut exact. His templates are only as good as what WE have supplied to him. Now think about that, if these templates fit well on most boats and miss on a few, think about how these parts are installed at Yamaha. Now we are getting closer to the problem. I am not bashing on Yamaha either here but pointing out a reality of manufacturing. Locate in place in the field. Yes, it may be off a 1/4" and the result is what you are seeing here.

My opinion, yeah it could be done better and more consistently by Yamaha, but it is the realities of manufacturing.

Now to truly put myself in the same boat as all of you, this weekend I am installing my SeaDek. I am sure I will run into the same issues... :banghead: Just trying to set the record straight that the problem is not our supplier. If there are concerns about the templates, you certainly have the opportunity to make your own template when you order too.
Totally agree. Unless you submit your own measurements, the existing template will be used to cut the SeaDek and if your seat is off by a little, you will definitely have an alignment problem. When I installed mine, I had to finagle a few areas for the best fit, but I understand that I did not have to go through the trouble of taking measurements and sending in a template of my own. I was fine with taking my time and figuring out the best fit and not paying for "custom" work.

One option you also have is to re-center the pedestal base. Not sure what that entails, but that way , you could have it perfectly centered and I bet the old holes would still be covered since the move would be slight.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The variations probably come from slight differences in the factory's multiple molds. Each mold can vary slightly in the textured floor patterns from mold to mold but still be dead nuts on for the measurements of the actual rigid fiberglass shell.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Have you called Will to discuss?

I had no issue in that area, but I was somewhat disappointed that some of my existing screws holes were not covered. It bothered me at first, but after a couple times on the water, I never noticed again. We look at our work MUCH harder than anyone else. I understand it can be frustrating, but trust me you are going to love the look and functionality of the product soon enough.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I retract my last statement as I just assumed that the seat posts are positioned very precisely (e.g. Laser guided robot) by Yamaha when the boats are made. Didn't realize that close enough is good enough is Yamaha's standard, $65K+ flag ship or not. I wonder if other boat manufacturers, like SeaRay, follow the same philosophy.

sstegh

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I believe it is robots installing fixtures like that. If not Yamaha would have to have every set of carpet custom made.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered the back deck/hatch SeaDek from Will during a group buy.

The back hatch pieces had the latch holes off by an inch or so. They were "off". I called and talked to him, sent a few pics so it was clear what was going on, and he sent me out the correct pieces and told me to just keep the ones that weren't right. At no charge, of course. Apparently there are two possible (slightly different) locations from the factory for the latch, they are off just that much because he knew what was going on when I told him.

If you bought from Will, you should have contacted him first. He will make it right.