• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Installing Faria GPS Speedometer in 2009 212x

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So after searching for a few days and pouring over the wiring diagrams in the FSM I determined nothing was really going to help me much. I wanted to leverage the stock speedo wires as much as possible. In the directions it mentions a black, purple, and blue wire.

Wouldn't ya know that's exactly what the stock speedo wiring had.

So on to installing the GPS speedometer. Needed to figure out what wires actually did for the old speedo. I have the FSM and the wire diagrams for the dash are pure crap. So I was turning stuff on and checking for hot wires. Found the blue is for the backlight of the gauge, purple is the ignition wire, black was the ground, and green was from the old paddle wheel style speedo.

Pulled out from the deutsch connector

To get them out you pull out the orange wedge lock then use a small screwdriver to unlock those clips

Need a hot constant so pulled it from the aux charging port and tapped into that.

There's a notch on the gauge so I just notched out the center with a utility knife to fit it in. It has a back bracket that mounts with 4 bolts. Couldn't really get a picture of that. That is fairly self explanatory anywho.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice write up. Where does the GPS sensor go?

GermanAR230

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So after searching for a few days and pouring over the wiring diagrams in the FSM I determined nothing was really going to help me much. I wanted to leverage the stock speedo wires as much as possible. In the directions it mentions a black, purple, and blue wire.

Wouldn't ya know that's exactly what the stock speedo wiring had.

So on to installing the GPS speedometer. Needed to figure out what wires actually did for the old speedo. I have the FSM and the wire diagrams for the dash are pure crap. So I was turning stuff on and checking for hot wires. Found the blue is for the backlight of the gauge, purple is the ignition wire, black was the ground, and green was from the old paddle wheel style speedo.

Pulled out from the deutsch connector

To get them out you pull out the orange wedge lock then use a small screwdriver to unlock those clips

Need a hot constant so pulled it from the aux charging port and tapped into that.

There's a notch on the gauge so I just notched out the center with a utility knife to fit it in. It has a back bracket that mounts with 4 bolts. Couldn't really get a picture of that. That is fairly self explanatory anywho.
I have been doing research on Yamaha speedo repair and it seems like the general consensus is to replace with GPS is the way to go. Thank you for the write up pictures, worth 1,000 words...!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I have been doing research on Yamaha speedo repair and it seems like the general consensus is to replace with GPS is the way to go. Thank you for the write up pictures, worth 1,000 words...!
Good luck! I sold that boat last year, but sounds like everything still works just fine talking with the new owner. He used to be my neighbor, so we still chat from time to time.

drroberts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
How did you test to see which wires were powered and which was a ground? I have a multimeter and got ohms on both my blue and black wires. My speedo is wired like this and not the plug like yours. I was able to tap into the purple wire and get power to the new speedo.
794A04B2-05DC-403C-88CE-C7F035ADD1E4.jpeg
4547C776-AFA1-44F2-A5DA-E9CF9D0CF021.jpeg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
How did you test to see which wires were powered and which was a ground? I have a multimeter and got ohms on both my blue and black wires. My speedo is wired like this and not the plug like yours. I was able to tap into the purple wire and get power to the new speedo.
View attachment 177877
View attachment 177879
Agree, Purple is +12v ignition power for the speedo, fuel and depth gauges per Yamaha and ABYC regs.

20220515_064000.jpg

drroberts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thanks for the response. I got power to the speedo, it sweeps all the way to 60 but doesn’t stop at 5 mph to find a signal. I still need to mess with it a little more. The wiring diagram i found showed the blue and black swapping ground once it went through the plug which doesn’t make sense to me.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
yeah I used a wiring diagram and wasn't looking for ohms, but 12v when I turned the ignition on.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They are nice I've had one for 5 years now and its been flawless... you can wire continuous 12V from your battery so that the GPS receiver is warmed up an ready to go when key switch comes on and avoid the acquisition time.. I chose not to do it and the GPS needle goes through a self test each power up that takes less than a min... accuracy wise its identical to my my Garmin 545SX

drroberts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I ended up running a splice of the wire going to the ign for the Bat connection as well. I don’t see the need to have it powered at all times. I ran the blue to the lights and the black to the ground. I turn the power on and it swept to 60, then came up to 5 to acquire the signal. Seems to be functioning normally now, I’ll have to get it on the water for an actual ops check.