• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Intake tunnel - gelcoat chip

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Doing my impellers last year saw this chip in the port side intake. I have some marine Tex (bondo for boats) and I also have some spectrum white (small container)

looking for points of view on which to use. I’m tempted to just seal it with marine Tex and be done with it. Then have it professionally fixed later. Thoughts?

DD52AAB7-7442-4D3B-9618-4A5DABFC3CC3.jpegD7DCD6E4-8089-4A59-BB48-9F156EEBA432.jpeg

Last edited:
I went ahead and taped it off then filled with marine tex. I’ll use it this way while I’m working to get scheduled in at a fiberglass shop in Bucyrus.

In that location I would just fill with Epoxy or 5200 and call it fixed.

Yeah. The bilge is there if there’s intrusion… I just think that below the waterline, I think it’s it’s own animal and worth a few hundred to get it fixed right.

I am impressed with the marine tex stuff, pretty easy to work with and was easy to apply.

If it were my boat, I'd consider the marinetex a final repair, since it's out of sight.

If it were my boat, I'd consider the marinetex a final repair, since it's out of sight.
The only reason I’m considering a professional repair is that it’s below the waterline and it’s in the intake. I might also roll in some restorative work on the blue where it’s oxidized a bit too.

Back