• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Introducing a puppy/dog to boating

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Absolutely socialize him. Get him to classes, to home depot, to petsmart, anywhere you can take him. Get him used to the car/truck/plane/elevators/escalators...everything. A big recommendation is to use a dremel with a drum wheel to do his nails, and do them twice a week whether they need it or not until he is totally used to it. This all is in addition to 15 trips to potty per day! Get him used to going potty when you tell him! We trained Chester to potty on the swim deck on command. He holds it now, but when he starts pacing, he is banished to the swim deck to potty before he comes back into the main boat cabin! Being on the boat or in a vehicle isn't much different. Bouncing will be different and a little more noise, but very similar if they are used to going with you. Take treats and make them "place" where you want them. If you don't want them on the seats, don't let them in ANY furniture...ever! We spoiled Chester but that is a different story and we are perfectly content with him getting in the seats. But you can't have it ok there and not ok here. The hardest part is getting used to letting them in and out of the water. We will take about phase two next year! Congrats on the pup and LMAO...hang in there! They are truly great, but getting past the puppy stage is tough! So good luck!
Mel, would you mind posting a photo of your Dremel setup for nails? I have some puppy nails that need smoothing.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Markk , I don't have a picture, but I can get you one in a couple days. I just use the little drum wheel with whatever drum I have handy on it. I used at first at low RPM but once the puppy is used to it, you can crank it up where it works faster. You just keep it moving so as not to heat it up.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Markk , I don't have a picture, but I can get you one in a couple days. I just use the little drum wheel with whatever drum I have handy on it. I used at first at low RPM but once the puppy is used to it, you can crank it up where it works faster. You just keep it moving so as not to heat it up.
Like a sanding drum? Or stone grinder?

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We have a new puppy coming in a few weeks (yellow lab) so good timing on this thread...

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The small sanding drum.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Took 12week old Sophie for her first boat ride today. She did great. No accidents on the boat. Couldn't get her to go on the swim platform either. I think I'll have to get a patch of fake grass to put back there before she will go there. I pulled the carpets as an extra precaution.

After the first hour, she spent most of her time in this position. Even pulling the kids aggressively on the tube didn't bother her.
image.jpeg

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They acclimate quickly. With Chester, we kind of shamed him into going. He didn't always, but he never pee'd in the boat! He would get anxious and start pacing back and forth from bow to swim deck. When they stsrt d, we knew! So we would make him stay in the swim deck until he peed!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We have been socializing our 13 wk. old Belgian Tervuren pup to many different situations. We take her to experience people at a Lacrosse game, kids bicycle rally, shopping centers, cars, trucks and tractors. She plays with other pups at a weekly class. We have taken her to West Marine,20170520_130833.jpg 20170520_124518.jpgtrained her to the marina docks and the boat while on land,20170515_223320.pngso that there would be no scary moments on her first outing. The plan was to take her out on Sunday for a few hours, I think we wore her out before, all she did was sleep, which was good for us. She had no accidents on the boat and waited until she got off the docks to pee. It was a good experience that we will soon repeat.20170530_055441.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Getting a puppy/dog to do what you want involves trust as much as obedience and obedience works much better with trust. Work on trust exercises on land first then around a shoreline and in the water. Last being the boat. Do trust exercises with rewards at all 3. Once the dog trusts you and is comfortable in a given enviroment getting the dog to do what you what is much easier.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
we use these for nails https://www.amazon.com/Oster-Gentle-Paws-Premium-Grinder/dp/B002JM0DOA/ref=sr_1_9?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1496156938&sr=1-9&keywords=nail+grinder

and these https://www.amazon.com/100Pcs-Control-Different-Colors-Adhesive/dp/B01MV4ZNV7/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1496156839&sr=1-2&keywords=nail+caps+for+dogs610koOZ8ZNL._SL1009_.jpg
61uvCVlTXFL._SL1200_.jpg

I tried my dremel years ago and was difficult for me to not grind too much and control it. the grinder has a hole in the cap to put their nail in and I can control it without and inadvertent slips.

Markk

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How long do the nail covers stay glued on?

Rick Owens

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ASAP get him used to it and the water. Don't forget the life jacket. I have a 6 month old silver lab. She has been out every time with us this season. She is also going thru obedience school to hopefully become a therapy dog so I can take her into hospitals. Socialize,Socialize,Socialize,

Attachments

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How long do the nail covers stay glued on?
I put them for a week or so then trim again and reapply before he gets back on the boat. I forgot this weekend and was out. He loves to jump off the back of the boat and he nicked up some of the hydro turf. So ordered some more sunday

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Took the pup over to the marina last night to check on the boat after a couple of storms had passed earlier. Just another chance for her to familiarize and socialize. She looks comfortable on and around the Yamaha.

20170602_155956.jpg 20170602_160150.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Took the pup out on her second trip out today. A beautiful and crowded day at Thayers Beach but a lot of sights and sounds for her to experience, she was awesome today.

20170611_135850.jpg 20170611_140102.jpg 20170611_140114.jpg Sorry no pics of her jumping on the paddle board from the swim platform, but she really liked the paddle board. We trained her on land to it prior.

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Got my dog up on the wakeboard with me this past weekend!

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So long as she's with the pack...ours is happy

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The pup, 16 weeks old now, is getting comfortable with the boat. Her favorite spot is the swim platform. A great place to take a nap,20170622_141414.jpgafter a day of paddle boarding with my wife and I. It was the first time she was on the board with one of us paddling, she did great.20170622_135814.jpgShe walked up and down the board between my legs.20170622_222026.jpgWe had to tie the board to the side of the boat because she kept getting on when it was at the back of the platform.

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Shared from JB Facebook page:

"You can always get nail caps too ! They're a soft rubber vinyl that glues to your pups nails . They typically fall off around 3-4 weeks ." Apparently they come in clear too.