• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ipilot trolling motor mount problems

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I just used the clear caulking for outdoor windows since that seems to hold up pretty well to the weather.

Jay936

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks. I will do the same.

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Billy Marlin , have you taken the motor off and installed a cover yet? curious as I want to add an ipilot but have the factory full cover and worried about clearance issues. thanks

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I don't have a cover so its hard to say I keep mine in a covered boat slip and I am installing a carport at home to cover it in the winter. I have taken my trolling motor off and the mounting block does stick out a little so I just cut a pool noodle to fit over the corner then I can strap my tarp down over that.

Jay936

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I have the quick release minn kota mount on my ipilot. So all that is there when the motor is removed is a small block. I have no issues putting the cover on.

jetfisher

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@Jay936 do you have a picture by any chance? What shaft length did you go with?

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@jetfisher I have several photos posted at the beginning of this thread mine is the quick release slide mount as well. Don't have any photos with the motor off though. I went with the 60" shaft can never have one too long if you ask me :thumbsup:

FisherMcree

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Anybody running a 54"?

Corey Joslin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Yep, I'm running a 54" Riptide SP with I pilot. Used a quick release plate as well. The plate had to be mounted with an overhang as stated in several posts. I've used it several times now with no problem. 54" is plenty deep enough on calm and semi rough water.

Brian Filas

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Super late post, but decided to reply just in case anyone new was reading the thread. Made a custom aluminum mount ($250 at local machine shop). Has 7 anchor points, because I pushed it pretty far out so I could get as close to the center line as possible (and still use the anchor locker). It is solid as a rock.
IMG_1595.JPG IMG_1675.JPG

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@Brian Filas - Super elegant solution - definitely one of the best I have seen and gets the motor closer to the center line without blocking anchor or front hatch. One of my "design criteria" has been to allow quick removal and use of my standard Yamaha cover. It looks like I could cut and reinforce a slit with this.

Your pictures show how far you have to extend to get past the edge of the boat - this is a challenge that we all have been struggling with. It does look like you could have come a bit more in towards the edge of the boat by a little less angle on the mount but that would move you a little more off the center line. How has your tracking been with this solution?

Also, I am planning on a starboard mount to offset the weight and lean of the batteries in the back. Do you see any problems with this?

Finally, do you have the template or does the fab shop still have the design?

Thanks / Scott

CAT Chaser

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Would you be willing to share your dimensions/template? Also do you thing it could be made from Starboard?

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@Brian Filas - Brian - did you happen to take any pictures of the mount prior to putting on the quick connect or mounting on the boat.

Brian Filas

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I will snap a few more this weekend for you. A couple of quick comments. @WTScott ..I should have done a starboard mount to offset the weight. She does sit just a little heavy on the port side but my fat ass offsets it as long as i fish from starboard :). You can see in the picture below that the port side tie down bracket touches the water and the Starboard is slight out. I plan on fixing this in the winter by moving my battery charger. Tracking was great (motor head is just slightly off center to keep her running straight). I think this is why folks have issues with the spot lock. If your motor is to far off center it would have a hard time correcting things and I would imagine it would just keep trying to spin you around and course correct. Regarding the standard cover, it still fits. Heated it up to get a little stretch but the mount doesn't really hang over that far (will post some pictures of it on as well). Creating the mounting template took the most time. It took a few pieces of particle board and the help of my two sons to get the dimensions just right (hang over). @CAT Chaser .. Mounting it this way does put a lot of the weight forward so I didnt want to risk using Starboard. The machined aluminum was expensive ($250) but viewed it as an insurance policy that my $1500 motor would not be on the bottom of the bay during some rough chop. The fiberglass up that way is pretty thick so the 7 mounting points have it attached very secure (could probably stand on the end of it). More pictures to come this weekend. Also changed the oil last week and took a few videos of that as well.
IMG_1780.JPG

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I will snap a few more this weekend for you. A couple of quick comments. @WTScott ..I should have done a starboard mount to offset the weight. She does sit just a little heavy on the port side but my fat ass offsets it as long as i fish from starboard :). You can see in the picture below that the port side tie down bracket touches the water and the Starboard is slight out. I plan on fixing this in the winter by moving my battery charger. Tracking was great (motor head is just slightly off center to keep her running straight). I think this is why folks have issues with the spot lock. If your motor is to far off center it would have a hard time correcting things and I would imagine it would just keep trying to spin you around and course correct. Regarding the standard cover, it still fits. Heated it up to get a little stretch but the mount doesn't really hang over that far (will post some pictures of it on as well). Creating the mounting template took the most time. It took a few pieces of particle board and the help of my two sons to get the dimensions just right (hang over). @CAT Chaser .. Mounting it this way does put a lot of the weight forward so I didnt want to risk using Starboard. The machined aluminum was expensive ($250) but viewed it as an insurance policy that my $1500 motor would not be on the bottom of the bay during some rough chop. The fiberglass up that way is pretty thick so the 7 mounting points have it attached very secure (could probably stand on the end of it). More pictures to come this weekend. Also changed the oil last week and took a few videos of that as well.
View attachment 48087
Brian - thanks again for the great ideas and design. I laid out my template yesterday and delivered to the fabricator - hope to have it in a couple of days. I had them not drill the puck holes to give me a little bit of leeway in pointing the mount right or left for the final fitting. I am doing the starboard (right not material) mount as everything goes port on this boat including the big guy at the helm, (me). I guess the reasoning was if you fill the live well everything will balance better?

Right now planning on mounting batteries in the flat pocket in front of the changing area - still up in the air a bit but leaning that way.

Agree that Starboard (material) is not an option for this mount - lots of weight and moment to deal with.

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@Billy Marlin - Any reason not to mount the batteries in the starboard side under the rear seat? It seems easier and closer for the charger runs but puts another 100 pounds in the back?

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
I originally had my battery charger and batteries in the rear however moisture got into my 3 bank charger and fried it (The Professsional model Triton charger). Yamaha has failed to explain why this happens and during heavy rains I still get water in my rear compartments. So I decided to move my trolling batteries and new onboard charger from @ChargerGuy up front. With those mounted under the front compartments I don't have any moisture issues. I also keep my full 45 Pelican behind the seat so figured between that, myself, wife, and full livewell this would be the most balanced solution. I too came from a Triton and have to warn you this boat does not track well when trolling along even with the thrust vectors. Add high winds and its really a pain trying to keep this boat in line going down the banks. Over the winter going to try to design something I can use like a motor fin to resolve this issue.

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@Billy Marlin - Thanks - I have the offset solution on the trolling motor and "maybe" that will help a little bit. Definitely having more weight up front should not hurt. Decided to go with the batteries in the changing area shelf for now - can always change if I want to.

Best / Scott

WTScott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
@Billy Marlin @Brian Filas - Got everything installed and on the boat this past week - took the 3 to 4X estimated time but still a lot of fun playing with the boat. The trolling batteries in the changing area nook are still under consideration as I think I did see a loss of a few miles per hour and a little bit more spray on the starboard back seat - could be totally imagined but might have moved the spray line a bit forward. Also, without live well filled and even with Ulterra on starboard side there is still a lean to the port due to 260 pounds of ballast on the port side of the helm.

Brian - The mount worked great although my fab guy was not as good as yours. I am considering a SS model in the future. I love the setup and everything is practically perfect including good tracking but I did cut it about 1/2 inch too close and failed to account for the trolling motor housing overlap over the mount and the anchor hatch just barely catches and will not clear the base (grrrr). In looking back at yours, it looks like you are just clearing as well. I am going to shift the puck over 1/2 inch for now - won't be as pretty but will work. Pictures are attached.

Again guys - thanks for the great ideas.