• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is it a bad idea to buy a new boat for your first boat?

Sorry guys. See info below.

Pickup is a one-time issue. Yes, that is a long drive. I am surprised, though, that the Yamaha dealer in town will not have it sent to him. Even if he passes some of that cost on to you, seems like it might be worth it.

Second thing: update your profile with your location. Maybe one of us can offer you a ride on a Yamaha, as your dealer is not being helpful (mine would not sea trial mine until I had a check in hand).

I had not even thought of asking the local dealer if they would get it sent here. I think I will give them a call and ask.

And if anyone is willing to offer me a ride on a Yamaha, I will bring the beer. For after the ride, of course.

I may have missed it but did you say where you intend on using the boat? Lake, river, freshwater, saltwater, etc.? Warm climate or cold? Length of season when it will be able to be used?

I am located in Panama City, FL. It will mainly be used in saltwater. Coastal areas and bays. We also have a freshwater fed lake nearby that will be used occasionally when we just want to do watersports.

Also, I guess I don't have a choice, but any concerns with the twin 200s vs 250s in the Chaparral?

What type of boat (manufacture and model) does your friend have that you and your family enjoy? What features does it have or not have that you like/dislike. When you are out on your friends boat, why other types of boats do you see on the water mainly?

Not sure on the year, but it is an older Sea Doo 230 I believe. We have only been out a couple times with them. With that comment, I mainly meant I love being out on the water. I have always been an "out on the water" instead of "sitting on the beach" type of guy.

Man, both nice boats but hard to
Ignore the quality and the fit/finish of the Chap. I feel Yamaha is lacking in that department.

We really need some of our Chap/Scarab members to chime in...
This forum is extremely vocal (myself included) about the crap that Yamaha puts out for the cost of their boats, as well as many of the class-leading features of the new models' layout and handling.
I've never been on a Chaparral, but I get the impression that the fit and finish is superior to Yamaha.
I don't know about the layout on a Chap, but I honestly can't find room for improvement on my 2015 AR240, especially when I'm lounging (sitting) on the back deck with my grill in front of me wafting bratwurst juices as a cold beer sits in the cupholder to my left... no room for improvement... ;) as long as I'm married:stop:.
The age-old clean-out port feature might be worth considering. I know, the Chap/Scarab sales guys will tell you that the impellers will chew everything up, but I hope that the Chap/Scarab members might give you some input on this so that you can at least go into things with your eyes wide open.

@waternutt, I'm too lazy to go back through the posts, but did you test drive the two boats that you're considering purchasing? I guaranty you that they will handle very differently, very differently. Go WOT, crank the wheel full left or full right, see what happens. Decide which emergency avoidance response characteristics you're more comfortable with. It's not a loaded question... just do it. You're the captain and you need to be confident with the handling.

He just drove the Chap. We need to find someone in the Panama City area to give him a sample... @Big Shasta , you are nearby, right?

So, a Yamaha dealership wants to sell him a boat without giving him the opportunity to go for a test drive?

They don't have one. Nearest is 8 hours away (though, in that area, there must be one closer, methinks).

Unless @JetBoatPilot still has that sample boat he had and was selling used (decked out with all of his stuff)... That would solve the problem.

@MrMoose, as was mentioned we did drive the Chaparral today for about 15 min. It handled kind of how I thought a jet boat would. High speed was good. It could turn tightly but would spin out and cavitate on real sharp turns. Slow speed took a little getting used to as it seemed to hunt instead of tracking straight.

My local Yamaha dealer does not offer test drives, but they are having a demo day of sorts in about two weeks. So I could get a chance there. My next closest Yamaha dealer does offer test drives, but does not have any ready to put in the water. The Yamaha I am looking at is 8 hours away. My problem is I don't want to wait too long and have someone else snatch up the deals on these boats.

I just read that and it is something to consider. Although I don't think our water around has too much debris.

I don't have much debris, either.

Unfortunately, there are ropes in the water here... And I inevitably suck up one a season at least.

@waternutt if you planning on doing water sports I would go with the tower on a boat , it will cost $$you to add it later

Will they remove the potty and discount the price? I have no use for a head and would hate to lose the storage space!

Not sure, but with two little girls I might want to keep it for emergencies. Don't want to hold a plastic bag while they crap in it like I had to last year on a friend's boat.

They don't have one. Nearest is 8 hours away (though, in that area, there must be one closer, methinks).

Dothan Alabama has a yamaha new boat sells should be 2 hrs north of PC. Think it's Boyds marine

Unless @JetBoatPilot still has that sample boat he had and was selling used (decked out with all of his stuff)... That would solve the problem.

Typed the thing about dothan alabama having yamaha dealer in quoted part. Boyds marine is about 2 hrs north of PC

No will sold that boat to me. I live about 1 hrs north of PC near vernon would be glad to give waternutt a test ride at my local lake (pate lake in washington county)
I do put it in the Gulf from time to time but due to the cleanup would rather do it in a lake unless I'm already planning gulf trip which right now I'm not.

Not sure, but with two little girls I might want to keep it for emergencies. Don't want to hold a plastic bag while they crap in it like I had to last year on a friend's boat.

This is above and beyond the call of duty (haha i said duty) that's a mother's job for sure.

@waternutt do you work the typical Monday through Friday? It's raining as I type this but this weekend is forecast to be sunny. If you want to drive a 15 ar240 get up with me. I'm retired so any day is good for me.

I live near pate lake which is between vernon and Caryville on pate pond Rd. Which is only about 45 min drive north of PC

This a good post as you will get a lot of different opinions to help you make a decision. My advice, is buy used. Aside for the huge depreciation, you are going to ding and scratch it up. And for the coin you're dropping for one these boats, you'd want to minimize the amount of damage you incur. And if this is truly your first boat, you may find that these 24fters are challenging to maneuver until you get use to response, thus resulting in some nasty dings and scratches. My first boat was a 17ft Sea Doo. For me it was perfect and even though it was a jet boat, I had to make some adjustments when I moved into a bigger sized boat. As a few guys already mentioned, if you aren't concerned with dings and scratches and plan on keeping this boat a long time, then go for new. At least you'll have some piece of mind of how the boat was maintained and operated since you'd be the first to own it.

So, it doesn't cost more to fix a scratch or ding on a new boat, relative to a used boat. If you love your boat, you'll fix the scratches and dings regardless of whether it's new or used.

@waternutt do you work the typical Monday through Friday? It's raining as I type this but this weekend is forecast to be sunny. If you want to drive a 15 ar240 get up with me. I'm retired so any day is good for me.

I live near pate lake which is between vernon and Caryville on pate pond Rd. Which is only about 45 min drive north of PC

@fireflymedic, let me check my schedule. I just might take you up on that.

Back