• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is it a bad idea to buy a new boat for your first boat?

My first boat was a brand new 2005 Monterey 248LS
First launch I played ping-pong with 2 metal docks - scratched the hell out of it on both sides
55K / paid cash - pretty sure they saw this coming
Guys at the deanship had a real good laugh
repairs surprising wasn't that bad - I think $400.00
after that I paid alot more attention

Whether you pay 20K or 100K damages you are going want to fix or it will haunt you every time you see it

Attachments

• slide show1 (8).JPG
    slide show1 (8).JPG
    771.1 KB · Views: 51
  • slide show1 (14).JPG
    slide show1 (14).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 50
  • slide show1 (16).JPG
    slide show1 (16).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
Update...well, I went ahead and closed the deal on the Chaparral. It was a very tough decision, but I know it will serve my family well as we begin our boating adventures. Thanks for everyone here who offered their comments and advice. I know I will be hanging around here to learn as much as I can and hopefully contribute back someday.

I wanted to make sure I really enjoyed this before I even thought about pulling the trigger for a "newer" boat.....

Luckily I got a steal on a 2005 sx230 HO boat with 75 hours from a awesome dealership.....

I will say that the downfall for me being here in Maryland is you only get 4-5 months to really get to use your boat.. A HUGE disadvantage over what others get to experience.... That was one of the reasons I did what I did buy purchasing used and wanted to make sure I enjoyed it first.

Well folks...here she is. Just picked her up today. Did not take it out on the water with the dealer today because a storm was almost to hit, but I did test drive it a couple weeks back. Got it back home and it immediately started to rain.

The deliveries to my house leading up to this have started to look like the holidays purchasing all the tools and accessories I need to fill out my first boat.

Thanks to everyone on here that offered assistance along the way.

Attachments

• 0512171710_HDR.jpg
    0512171710_HDR.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 46
Matching truck, too.
Sorry about the bad influence we are to your wallet.

Congrats... Looks great just on the trailer. Like those rims BTW...

I think the rain was a good sign... gives you time to bring it home, open all those amazon/overtons/west marine boxes LOL and then get to know the boat a little better. You can get a good pre-launch plan and over all boat plan together on your time and not be rushed.. Cuz I KNOW YOUR EXCITED...
Enjoy, go have fun and don't be to upset with yourself when you do something silly..we've all been/are there and its a learning experience.

Be safe and don't forget to change your profile now... You are NO LONGER boat-less :winkingthumbsup".

Congratulations...
Send more pix

Congrats that's a beauty of a first boat

Congrats! Sharp looking boat and matches the tow rig nicely.

That's a sharp looking outfit there and those were hard choices between two good options. Now put your stuff in it, develop your launch checklist, and go enjoy!

Back