• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Is this top speed correct?

Mac Hodges

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2020 AR 210

Clean out ports securely locked x2
new plugs both motors
Four full coolers
Full tank of fuel
800 lbs of people weight

7000 RPM both motors 20 MPH on the water.

Just curious if this is normal or not? Seems like I should be going a bit faster but not sure. This is my first season with this boat.

Thanks

Something doesn't seem right. I have the exact same boat, Loaded up like that I will hit 37-38 mph and around 7500-7700 rpm. That is at 500' above sea level.

Where are you boating and what is the elevation?

Should be doing more than that. What’s the altitude? Wind speed/direction and wave height? Weight distribution matters too.

Something doesn't seem right. I have the exact same boat, Loaded up like that I will hit 37-38 mph and around 7500-7700 rpm. That is at 500' above sea level.

Where are you boating and what is the elevation?
Norris Lake TN. Cumberland Gap
I’m wondering if my speed sensor is off. Do you know how the speed is measured on the boat?

Should be doing more than that. What’s the altitude? Wind speed/direction and wave height? Weight distribution matters too.
Norris Lake TN Cumberland Gap area

not sure 100% on elevation
My Brother in law said maybe my speed sensor is off we were going faster than his pontoon which goes
I am going to try GPS speed tommrrow and see what it reads
no chop
No wind

Yes there is a paddle wheel at the bottom back. Norris lake is 1020 elevation.

Just put a gps speedometer on your phone and verify. If you have the bow loaded up with weight it will significantly drop your speed. Stick everyone in the cockpit.

Yes there is a paddle wheel at the bottom back. Norris lake is 1020 elevation.

Just put a gps speedometer on your phone and verify. If you have the bow loaded up with weight it will significantly drop your speed. Stick everyone in the cockpit.
Sounds perfect thanks for the advice! I’ll check out the paddle wheel in the morning and check it against GPS to my phone.
Thanks again

At 20mph, you are hardly not even on plane if true. Are you "plowing" through the water? Or seems up on plane?

Last edited:
D
At 20mph, you are probably not even on plane if true. Are you "plowing" through the water? Or seems up on plane?
I’m up on plane, putting wake out the back. I’m plowing through other boats wake just not like I did last week.

Its weird I just need a little more power to act normal.

Your RPMS seem low as well.

Hey Mac I'm down on Fort Loudon Lake and I'm typically cruising high 5000's of RPMs and reading 24 Mph or so. 2021 AR210. Wind direction, smoothness of water, and load can make a difference, but that sounds excessive, 7k is winding 'em out in my book. Are you running marina gas or buying the ethanol-laden stuff from local stations? I'm on a mix of both in the tank but I think local gas has gone to crap lately based on mpg in our road vehicles.

Also if you have not looked, with your boat on trailer or up on work rack out of water put the throttle full forward with engines off and look in the back of the jet pump output to see if anything is stuck between the impeller and the spider framework back there. Just for peace of mind.

Hey Mac I'm down on Fort Loudon Lake and I'm typically cruising high 5000's of RPMs and reading 24 Mph or so. 2021 AR210. Wind direction, smoothness of water, and load can make a difference, but that sounds excessive, 7k is winding 'em out in my book. Are you running marina gas or buying the ethanol-laden stuff from local stations? I'm on a mix of both in the tank but I think local gas has gone to crap lately based on mpg in our road vehicles.

Also if you have not looked, with your boat on trailer or up on work rack out of water put the throttle full forward with engines off and look in the back of the jet pump output to see if anything is stuck between the impeller and the spider framework back there. Just for peace of mind.

Hi Knoxboatin ,

Im using marina gas for every fill up. I will definitely do that with the throttles in the morning to make sure alls good.
Thanks

So I measured speed today with my waverunner. I was running between 30-35 at 6900 RPM x2.

My speedometer is off but the wheel under the boat is free. I checked with my goggles. So I have some more troubleshooting to do but nothing that will ruin a weekend.

Thanks for all the reply’s!

Back