• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

IS Wet Sounds Equipment THAT Much Better?

Guitarjesus

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Going to upgrade my sound system for my boat. I'm going to start with the crappy Marine Audio head unit and also install an amp. Everyone raves about Wet Sounds, but are they that much better than other brands for "marine grade" sound equipment?

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have to compare apples to apples and for intended purpose and goal. They make a quality product. JL, Fusion recently, and Kicker and others make some good stuff at different price points. A system where you want to hear loud quality music while boarding, surfing, tubing, etc is different than one where you just want good sound in the boat, or floating behind the boat. I have JL boat speakers and amps and Wetsound tower speakers. I also have a kicker sub.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Going to upgrade my sound system for my boat. I'm going to start with the crappy Marine Audio head unit and also install an amp. Everyone raves about Wet Sounds, but are they that much better than other brands for "marine grade" sound equipment?
It all depends on your needs. WS and JL are generally considered the top end for audio quality and performance. I'm quite happy with the Polk speakers that came stock in my boat and added another set for mid-cabin speakers and added an amp to get them all pumping. I consider Polk in the upper end of the mid-range speakers for sound quality but they lack good marine protection for saltwater environments. Kicker, JBL, Infinity, Alpine, etc. are also decent mid-range speakers. Kenwood and JVC used to be good, but I don't have any recent experience with them.

If your boat has the ASA or Jensen speakers, they are mediocre speakers. Any decent brand like those mid-range brands mentioned above would make a decent improvement especially with a 50w/ch amp to get them pumping.

Stay away from low end Skar, Boss, Pyle, etc., speakers as they wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

WetSounds amps have a bit more power - but this is a good starter - wire 4 speakers in parallel (2 per channel) and you have 100w per speaker.

here’s what I did https://jetboaters.net/threads/195s-dual-battery-sound-system-upgrade.36607/

Last edited:

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have a large, all Wet Sounds system. It really all depends on what you want to do. Do you want better sound and the ability to hear your music while underway or do you want to be the Sandbar DJ? Yes....JL and Wetsounds makes good stuff. But I'd have no problem recommending Kicker, Polk or Rockford to someone. Wetsounds (along with a few others) makes HLCD tower speakers. They project sound and get LOUD! They also make amplifiers with BIG power. JL probably makes the best marine audio equipment period in terms of quality, longevity and sound. If you are just looking for something basic for you and your passengers to enjoy, certainally consider the mid-tier brands like I mentioned earlier

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I have a large, all Wet Sounds system. It really all depends on what you want to do. Do you want better sound and the ability to hear your music while underway or do you want to be the Sandbar DJ? Yes....JL and Wetsounds makes good stuff. But I'd have no problem recommending Kicker, Polk or Rockford to someone. Wetsounds (along with a few others) makes HLCD tower speakers. They project sound and get LOUD! They also make amplifiers with BIG power. JL probably makes the best marine audio equipment period in terms of quality, longevity and sound. If you are just looking for something basic for you and your passengers to enjoy, certainally consider the mid-tier brands like I mentioned earlier
[/Q

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Rockford Fosgate marine pump amps in my opinion are better than Wetsounds. Wetsounds do make some top end cabin speakers and towers.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What would you say makes them "better" ?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Sound and quality year after year...

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Buy what fits your budget.

WetSounds gives the most marine power. It is not even close. You want to be the loudest, WetSounds is what you want. If you want decent simple replacements or a small upgrade - find what's in stock, and fits your budget and needs. Brand would be my last thought in that regard. There is no "better". It is all preference.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
👆 True story

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
wetsound are the loudest jl sound better to a trained hear only, i had both, 2 rev 10 in my 2019 sounded louder that 4 jl8.8 in my 2022 with the same amps, so now i have a big ws amp at 2 ohm powering those jl. your budget and use will define what you get. if you just want to listen to tunes get some basic stuff, dont be afraid to buy car audio amps , are cheaper, the mari\ne stuff its only a coated board not waterproof, ive been using car audio jl 700/5 for 10 years never an issue, now i have 2 car jl700/5 and a
Wet Sounds Sinister-SDX2 Sinister Series 1240 Watt 2 Ch. Amp.

Rockit69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
They are both great amps, I just feel that the Rockford Fosgate amps are a better build quality and I like the features better. Rockfords are a better bang for buck choice. To the ear, no difference. I love all my wetsound speakers.

Last edited:

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Admittedly, I have no experience with the newer line of Punch Marine amps. I'm sure they are good amps. "Better" build quality..... Meh, not so sure about that. They may be a better bang for your buck amplifier for most folks needs. Thats why I recommend them along with Kicker for a lot of people. However, Wet Sounds (specifically the sinister series) are undoubtedly the king of power for marine amplifiers.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Rockford Fosgate marine pump amps in my opinion are better than Wetsounds. Wetsounds do make some top end cabin speakers and towers.
The biggest difference is the punch amps are class A/B amps and the Wetsounds are class D. The class D amplifier is better for Yamaha's limited charging system. I had a RF punch amp in my current boat and it ran hot and would shutdown on overheat when pushed, I recently changed it to a Wetsounds. I had all RF with the exception of the tower speakers when I had my Yamaha and in my new boat I have all Wetsounds with the exception of the factory interior speakers and there is no doubt the Wetsounds system is way better. To get a class D RF marine amp you will need to buy one of their "element ready" amps.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For me, build quality.

My polk speakers were deteriorating by Year 2, but still worked fine. I started my audio journey on the cheap with a Rockville amp - which frankly performed awesome... right up until it died two months later. Changing out an amp in that compartment on July 4th weekend will make you wish you picked anything else. Rockville warrantied it and sent me a new one months later when they were back in stock (this is pre-COVID, for context). I bought a JL amp and never looked back, upgraded the rest of the speakers to JL as well. I do have some Rockford Fosgate tower speakers that I'm fond of, but JL is worth the money to me. Buy once, cry once.

Having listened to some Wetsounds setups, I find that JL is a 'better' sound, while Wetsounds retains its clarity at higher volume (no interest to my need). They're both excellent though, and outside with wind and engine noise - anyone who tells you they can pick up a sound quality difference is lying or selling something.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For me, build quality.

My polk speakers were deteriorating by Year 2, but still worked fine. I started my audio journey on the cheap with a Rockville amp - which frankly performed awesome... right up until it died two months later. Changing out an amp in that compartment on July 4th weekend will make you wish you picked anything else. Rockville warrantied it and sent me a new one months later when they were back in stock (this is pre-COVID, for context). I bought a JL amp and never looked back, upgraded the rest of the speakers to JL as well. I do have some Rockford Fosgate tower speakers that I'm fond of, but JL is worth the money to me. Buy once, cry once.

Having listened to some Wetsounds setups, I find that JL is a 'better' sound, while Wetsounds retains its clarity at higher volume (no interest to my need). They're both excellent though, and outside with wind and engine noise - anyone who tells you they can pick up a sound quality difference is lying or selling something.
When I was asking what makes them "better", I was referring to @Rockit69 saying he felt Rockford amps were better than Wetsounds. I was simply asking why he thought this. @seanmclean are you referring to Rockford as well or JL? If JL, I won't argue with you there. In my opinion, they are the best in the biz when it comes to sound quality and more importantly, build quality.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I was asking what makes them "better", I was referring to @Rockit69 saying he felt Rockford amps were better than Wetsounds. I was simply asking why he thought this. @seanmclean are you referring to Rockford as well or JL? If JL, I won't argue with you there. In my opinion, they are the best in the biz when it comes to sound quality and more importantly, build quality.
Oh, sorry misinterpreted you. My rockville amp died nearly immediately, and it took months to get a replacement in 'normal' times, so I'd never recommend it again. While it was working though, it performed quite well.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For normal stuff I would probably go a different route as It seems like their quality over other brands doesnt justify the price. That being said one thing they do well and probably better than anyone else is the Rev10 tower speakers. Those things get rediculously loud (Realistically too loud) I have been into car audio since high school so I had a baseline expectation of what to expect and they blew my expectations out of the water.