• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Issues with lack of use.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi, guys,
Its been a while since I've posted a thread but I have past by and kept up to date with current content.

I'm looking for any advise on issues I may have with my AR240 being unused for a while now. My problem is I'm from the UK and not been able to visit the US for over a year now, and looking forward, I can't see any opening in the near future.
I'm fully expecting one shift cable to be seized, I change the right side in the fall of 2019 due to it being stiff, and last time the steering felt heavy but eased up with a few outings, so expecting that to need attention too.
What I'm mostly worried about are the engines, I've heard of sticking valves and perished seals but just asking if any of you guys have any experience with long term storage.
I've always used ethanol free gas, the batteries are both on maintainers and the service schedule is on the money, I'm meticulous with service and cleaning. Another big issue is it's out in the Florida sun on a lift too......:(.

I hate to even think of it but maybe I need to sell........:arghh:.

If this shit show sorts itself out and I can get to the US in the summer, it maybe ok but by then the boat has been unused for 18 months, so just looking for any pointers what to expect.

Hope all you guys are well.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man that is a bad situation. Like @anmut said I’d try very hard to get someone there to at least start it up and lube/move everything that moves.
You can’t be the only person in this situation this year in FL, aren’t there any legitimate mobile services that will come work on your boat on site?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll drive down, pick it up, and bring it home with me. I'll store it over the summer, and be sure to use it liberally to ensure it doesn't go unused. Just need an address and I'll make the rest happen :D :D

Seriously, I'll do it!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll drive down, pick it up, and bring it home with me. I'll store it over the summer, and be sure to use it liberally to ensure it doesn't go unused. Just need an address and I'll make the rest happen :D :D

Seriously, I'll do it!
You might be regretting the new tow vehicle dragging a 240 w/tower home from FL.😁

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You might be regretting the new tow vehicle dragging a 240 w/tower home from FL.😁
Naw.....Might use some more fuel, but there are a couple guys on here towing the 240's with the Q7's.

It'll be worth it.....you know, to help out a fellow forum member and all. Has nothing to do with me benefiting from having access and permission to use it :D :D

I'm serious, I'll do it :D

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let me know if you need a checkup on it. I live in Cape Coral and have always done my own maintenence on my 2017 ar240 so would know what to look for.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would seriously suggest contacting a member close by that has a few hundred posts that you feel comfortable with,

at the very least ask them or a neighbor to go dump some sta-bil in the gas tank,

The batteries are probably dead but maybe they could run the engines on the hose or at least work the steering wheel and reverse buckets,

I wouldn't be so concerned with the engine as we've had posts before of "boat was sitting for ..." and it still ended up mechanically ok once any fuel issues were addressed,

and @Betik was just passing through FL last week looking for something to do !

you can use the map under the member section to give you an idea who might be around besides CraigAR and Dean,

Coryd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I live in Englewood and will gladly help out. Just let me know what you need done.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m in Alva and would be willing to check it out for you.

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Burnt Store Isle Punta Gorda. Could meet some of the others in this area go quicker with more hands.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys have made my year, I'm so grateful to you all, jeez I miss my boat :(.

Thank you to the guys local for the offers, I'm going to work out logistically how it might work, batteries and keys in the house, boat strapped to lift and power off (it was put away for the hurricane season). If I can get back to you, my neighbour is away atm, so I'd need to work with him.

@2kwik4u I'd love to say yes but if the things relax in the summer, you'd need to trailer it all the way back, PRONTO! :D.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Britboater

No Worries. I figured it was a long shot. I'm 1-1/2 days away with a tow. 1/2 day to prep and 1 day to drive. I also carry $1mil liability umbrella.

In case you change your mind :)

In all honesty, finding a local forum member, and getting them in touch with your neighbor is your best bet here. Someone that knows the boat, has a free day to drive over, get it out and run it around for an hour or so to get all the things moving and charged and checked. Probably snap some pics along the way to ease your worry a bit.

I once picked up a vehicle off a cargo ship in Baltimore for a forum member from Sweden that shipped his truck over for a national level gathering. 2 day tow and a few hotel nights to get it home, then we took care of it until he arrived a month later (mostly sat in the garage under a cover). Did the se thing to send it back. He flew home, and we delivered the truck back to Baltimore to be packed up in a container for return shipment......point being that online community members have consistently proven to be trustworthy, knowledgeable, and overall VERY caring individuals. As much as I might have contributed along the way, I've trusted others equally to help me out along the way. I'm certain one of the local guys to your boat is the way to go here.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well it’s been confirmed, my nozzles are seized firm :arghh:.

09EF230B-D92A-4918-9501-8BDA093CCB5C.jpeg
My thinking is, full cable replacement is now needed so I should just relax and not worry any longer, cover is holding up, batteries are in the house on maintainers and tank is full with ethanol free gas.

If Im not able to get out there this year I will put the boat up for sale, I have a boat dealer friend who can store it in a showroom and get the work done too.
Not how I planned to end my jetboat ownership but let’s see what the future brings ;).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well it’s been confirmed, my nozzles are seized firm :arghh:.

View attachment 149257
My thinking is, full cable replacement is now needed so I should just relax and not worry any longer, cover is holding up, batteries are in the house on maintainers and tank is full with ethanol free gas.

If Im not able to get out there this year I will put the boat up for sale, I have a boat dealer friend who can store it in a showroom and get the work done too.
Not how I planned to end my jetboat ownership but let’s see what the future brings ;).
Stupid question.....

Have you considered doing Airbnb with the house through the jetboat owners network? Find a trusted set of people to take a vacation to FL and check on the boat/house. Just a thought :D

Hope it all work out for you man.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Stupid question.....

Have you considered doing Airbnb with the house through the jetboat owners network? Find a trusted set of people to take a vacation to FL and check on the boat/house. Just a thought :D

Hope it all work out for you man.
We have regarding the house but we're a little too fussy, we originally bought the property as an investment to rent but after furnishing and remodelling we fell in love with it and it became very personalised.
This is the main reason we bought a boat rather than hire, she's my baby and she knows it :shamefullyembarrased: