• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

"Its got seven hours or it"

EricB

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I found a 2022 255XE with seven hours on it. The dealership's owner's son ( no idea how old), has taken out to boat to play with and put seven hours on the engine. Good chance there was not a proper break-in for those seven hours.

How big a concern? Would you walk from this deal with that unknown in the mix?

Hmmmm - I'd request a diagnostics report. I know outboards can report out run time at different levels of rpms; not sure on the jets, but I'd imagine it would have to.

Being sold as new ? The software will show what RPM's it was ran at and for how long.

If it’s being sold as new it should come with a watranty. My local dealer and others do the same thing. That is, use it as a demo or for personal pleasure and sell them as new but at a slight discount. When I was looking for a 2010 242 LS my dealer had two, one had 50 hours in it supposedly from the “dealer/owner” taking his friends from church out on it.

Yup, it was listed as "demo". I'm getting the diagnostic (great advice) and if that looks good I will be picking up the boat on Monday.

Well there you go. Maybe slap a warranty on it after the first year to extend it. Perhaps see if the dealer will throw in or discount heavy an extended warranty for a couple years or more.

I’d account for the 10 hour service that you’re going to need done after 1 more afternoon on the water when you’re negotiating with the dealer.

From the few times I have been blessed to break in a new Yamaha engine, running them a bit "hard" is not the worst thing in the world. They ask you to vary the throttle, but not to exceed a particular RPM.

As long as there is no cosmetic damage to the boat, it was probably opened up a few times. Let's be honest, how "hard" is hard? Load it up with 10 friends, fill the ballasts and lug it around a bay for 4-5 hours under full load surfing, that may be my definition of a hard break in. But buzzing it up to full RPM's momentarily, and some quick turns are not even close to hard in my eyes.

My guess is there are going to be very few new owners that will not be tempted to load this top of the line boat on the first outing. If there is Yamaha Warranty and optional YES at a discount, and the deal is right, go with it. A good off the wall question for the dealer would be, prior to asking how it was broke in would be, "how did he like the surf wave, will I like it" and if he gives an answer, then it's probably a good indication that they surfed it loaded. His correct response should be, "oh no, he never surfed it during break in" HA.

Good luck,

Last edited:
How are dealers able to use the boat without trailer tags and reg numbers ?

Dealer plates on the trailer, probably something similar on the boat. I’ve seen dealers out doing test drives at the lake but never noticed if the boat did or didn’t have numbers on it.

Break-in is very short on these boats. Make them do the 10 hours, and go extended (should either way). I have no concerns on this deal, assuming boat has no damage. Would push for a discount.

Bought mine as a demo. Bought extended warranty and never looked back.

Doubt you’d even know it.

Dealers are allowed to use a common registration number for tests and demos before the owner takes possession. If you watch videos of Yamaha boats during tests and reviews, you'll notice they all have the same GA 9900 AD numbers on the bow.

Back