• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

New to boating, looking for advice.

The hull looks real good, he sent me about 44 pictures in high resolution and I can’t see any scratches or damage
Right on. Sounds like you're really into this one. NO matter what you're going to have a blast. Like others have said, if its possible, buy your second boat first. I do a lot of wakeboarding and surfing so I know what a pain in the ass it can be on a Jetboat. However, with enough effort (and $$$) you can throw a decent wave/wake.

At the end of the day you're gonna get what you want. If you're OK with working to get a good wake, filling bags, or just accept the smaller wake, I think all other positives outweigh the negative. One of the primary reasons I went jet is so I didn't have a blender on my boat around my kids. Even the most conscious of people have had accidents. Do I wish I had a boat made for wake sports? Yes. Could I sell my Yamaha and buy one? Yes. Do I? No. Why? Because I love my boat even with its mediocre wake. Do what makes you and your family happy and create some memories.

Right on. Sounds like you're really into this one. NO matter what you're going to have a blast. Like others have said, if its possible, buy your second boat first. I do a lot of wakeboarding and surfing so I know what a pain in the ass it can be on a Jetboat. However, with enough effort (and $$$) you can throw a decent wave/wake.

At the end of the day you're gonna get what you want. If you're OK with working to get a good wake, filling bags, or just accept the smaller wake, I think all other positives outweigh the negative. One of the primary reasons I went jet is so I didn't have a blender on my boat around my kids. Even the most conscious of people have had accidents. Do I wish I had a boat made for wake sports? Yes. Could I sell my Yamaha and buy one? Yes. Do I? No. Why? Because I love my boat even with its mediocre wake. Do what makes you and your family happy and create some memories.
Awesome, good stuff! Thanks for all your thoughtful comments and advice.

That's a nice boat overall honestly. I see some.sort of fins, Cobra jet style. Interior looks nice overall, you've got nice mats inside. Looks really well kept.

Looks great for its age.

Man have these boats come a long way in 20 years though lol.

There is one last little hiccup you’ll encounter with wake surfing, or any water sports in general. There is no longer a speed control system available for these boats. Perfect Pass discontinued their version for this boat. Nobody else has one that I’m aware of. It’ll be very challenging to maintain a good wake without a speed assist of some kind. Might be able to find someone who’s willing to part with theirs, or if you’re pretty handy with electronics, maybe Fab up your own, but that’s no small task. Just a quick heads up on that…. All that said, I absolutely love my boat, and I believe you’d love that one as well.

It appears to have had the scupper replaced. If it was not, than that is a high priority. Also buy some Cobra EZ-Locks if they are not already installed on the plugs. Where are you located?
@Scottintexas created a list of possible issues but I can't find the link. But if it has been maintained than there is not much that will go wrong.

Looks great for its age.

Man have these boats come a long way in 20 years though lol.
There is one last little hiccup you’ll encounter with wake surfing, or any water sports in general. There is no longer a speed control system available for these boats. Perfect Pass discontinued their version for this boat. Nobody else has one that I’m aware of. It’ll be very challenging to maintain a good wake without a speed assist of some kind. Might be able to find someone who’s willing to part with theirs, or if you’re pretty handy with electronics, maybe Fab up your own, but that’s no small task. Just a quick heads up on that…. All that said, I absolutely love my boat, and I believe you’d love that one as well.
well, that stinks, that was going to be one of my first upgrades. Didn’t realize they discontinued it for the older boats.

It appears to have had the scupper replaced. If it was not, than that is a high priority. Also buy some Cobra EZ-Locks if they are not already installed on the plugs. Where are you located?
@Scottintexas created a list of possible issues but I can't find the link. But if it has been maintained than there is not much that will go wrong.
I did stumble on that link and it is a really good read. I am in Pennsylvania, suburbs of Philly.

Thanks for all the input! Looks like I have champagne taste on a beer budget when it comes to the watersports end of it ? I guess it best to have an all around good boat, especially being my first boat. Guess we can look forward to the challenge of going ropeless. Anything is better than wakeboarding behind a pontoon boat. Not that we ever did that...2x last year ?

the 195 is surfable. no wakebooster.. wife was driving a bit slow so the wave is a bit dirty. I’m 190lbs if that helps and this is our smaller board.

me driving - 26yo daughter surfing - 650lb ballast 4 on the boat

Last edited:
the 195 is surfable. no wakebooster.. wife was driving a bit slow so the wave is a bit dirty. I’m 190lbs if that helps and this is our smaller board.

me driving - 26yo daughter surfing - 650lb ballast 4 on the boat

The 360 at the end was awesome! That’s pretty impressive on a 195. The wake when your daughter was riding looked bigger and a little cleaner. I had the thought the other day, maybe you can answer my question. My son surfs goofy and I am regular, so do you just move the bag back-and-forth? Do you have perfect pass or does that boat come with a system like that?

The 360 at the end was awesome! That’s pretty impressive on a 195. The wake when your daughter was riding looked bigger and a little cleaner. I had the thought the other day, maybe you can answer my question. My son surfs goofy and I am regular, so do you just move the bag back-and-forth? Do you have perfect pass or does that boat come with a system like that?
I don’t have perfect pass. The perfect pass is available for the boat.. We just do our best to keep it just over 10mph.
I place the transom bag just goofy side of center. (Selfish). But then we position passengers on the surfers side either goofy or regular depending on the surfer. You just need a patient understanding crew cause you have to ask them to move from their seat ??

I don’t have perfect pass. The perfect pass is available for the boat.. We just do our best to keep it just over 10mph.
I place the transom bag just goofy side of center. (Selfish). But then we position passengers on the surfers side either goofy or regular depending on the surfer. You just need a patient understanding crew cause you have to ask them to move from their seat ??
Awesome! Thanks for the great info.

Looks clean/cleaned up well. Bilge/floor of engine compartment is really dirty, but original carpet and exterior graphics intact. I’d lean towards well maintained. You’re gonna do the YDS thing, but take a peek at the oil yourself too.
What is up with the tow bar in ninth picture? It is slanted side-to-side, but Bimini is straight. Just an illusion?

Looks clean/cleaned up well. Bilge/floor of engine compartment is really dirty, but original carpet and exterior graphics intact. I’d lean towards well maintained. You’re gonna do the YDS thing, but take a peek at the oil yourself too.
What is up with the tow bar in ninth picture? It is slanted side-to-side, but Bimini is straight. Just an illusion?

yep, was definitely going to look at the oil before we fired it up and after. He offered to take us for a ride in the boat also. I do think it is an illusion, angle of the picture. He sent me a bunch of other pictures, and that is the only one where it looks crooked. What do you think of the corrosion around the Jet outlets? It’s probably the most pronounced on any of the boats that I’ve looked at. I’m worried it has seen salt duty more than the 30 or so hours last year that he claims.

Have him show you how to remove the plugs and note if he has any difficulty.

…What do you think of the corrosion around the Jet outlets? It’s probably the most pronounced on any of the boats that I’ve looked at. I’m worried it has seen salt duty more than the 30 or so hours last year that he claims.
Doesn’t look bad to me. Looks like surface only. Look at the sacrificial anodes, if they aren’t new it should give you an ideal of how well it’s been maintained and impacted by the salt water.

Have him show you how to remove the plugs and note if he has any difficulty.
He’s kind of a white-collar guy, I think a real estate agent, so I don’t know that he maintains his own boat. I think he’s only had it for less than a year.

Well, if you are flexible I suggest you consider a 2008-2010 212X. We surf with ours with stock ballast. You don't need speed control for surfing because it will settle right in as long as you have some water depth. Wakeboarding is not as easy to control but is manageable. It has the HO MR-1 motors. I just don't think you will find one for your budget.

Back