• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

It's ski season

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Look at the epic local or the epic pass

Epic local is awesome for us

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We just got back from Breck for some great skiing, except Saturday where It was extremely cold and windy. So much wind that they had hardly any lifts spinning Saturday. We leave in the AM for Monarch. 4 days of work and 8 days of skiing . We will get 60 days of skiing this season.
In 1999 we were stuck on a chairlift in Breck, above the treeline, for about 20-30 minutes after a storm hit. We had been warned all morning that they would likely have to close early, but the conditions were so good that morning that we didn't care.

When the storm hit the wind was ferocious, it actually launched skis and boards off the storage racks. The visibility was next to zero as we picked our way down the mountain. By the next morning it had cleared leaving behind a few feet of fresh pow to play in, so it was WELL worth it! To this day it is still one of my top 5 favorite days of skiing.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
FullSizeR.jpgwife took at the top of sidewinder at monarch. Eating some grub after getting 8k feet this am. Hope I can get another 10kin the afternoon

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@djetok , what a lift ticket for a day at Breckinridge cost? I heard it was $300 a few years ago but did not believe it.

Find someone that has a epic pass and buddy passes to get discounts. I'm sure they do multiday discounts still . You cannot buy epic passes anymore. Sales closed dec 1st weekend. We always buy our epic passes early to get our buddy passes for our kids when they go

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What would be the best deal for lift tickets for a family of five - MLK weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) at Breckenridge?
Any advice greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What would be the best deal for lift tickets for a family of five - MLK weekend (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) at Breckenridge?
Any advice greatly appreciated!

No deals on Vail resorts to be had. EVER!!! lol

Lift tickets never go on sale.

Crested butte is cheaper too

You could fly to Gunnison , stay at mtcrested
We are staying there this weekend at The Elevation Hotel and Spa

Monarch is awesome too. Cheap comparatively but better skiing. Salida 28 miles away too stay.

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No deals on Vail resorts to be had. EVER!!! lol
Yeah, just realized that!
Dammm, I have not been there in several years, things do change, lol. I mean the cheapest, cheapest deal I could find for a 3 day ski lift tickets is about $600 per person and that's without any rentals... lol. That's nuts! lol.

Looks like I may need to get creative, maybe ski the A-basin, but it's a bit of a drive from Breck.

Or - change the plans and go Crested Butte!

Oh, classic last minute cluster, lol, started with a good lead on lodging in Breck but with those kind of lift prices it may or may not work...

--

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dammm, I have not been there in several years, things do change, lol. I mean the cheapest, cheapest deal I could find for a 3 day ski lift tickets is about $600 per person and that's without any rentals... lol. That's nuts! lol.

Looks like I may need to get creative, maybe ski the A-basin, but it's a bit of a drive from Breck.

Oh, classic last minute cluster, lol, started with a good lead on lodging in Breck but with those kind of lift prices it may or may not work...

--
Don't eliminate Wolf Creek! It's by far the best bargain out there. Either stay in Pagosa Springs or South Fork. Caution, if you stay in Pagosa Springs you could be delayed by the pass being closed, not the case if you stay on South Fork side. But......South Fork has way less hotels and places to eat and drink. Pagosa is much better for eating and drinking. Plus you have the hot springs

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

--
I guess the difference is

Do you want to resort ski? Or ski?

Are you driving from St. Louis or flying?

I assumed you would fly with a 14 to 15 hour drive each way over a short trip.

Just 2 of you or are you taking the kids?

Like @BigN8 Said wolf creek is awesome. It is a skiers paradise, it is not resort skiing though. We always stay in Pagosa as we like the town better and there are more available accommodations. Wolf creek pass is no joke if there are conditions, which wolfie usually has conditions. They also have the most snow in Colorado just about every year. I obviously have left out Silverton, which is a guided mountain unless you don't fear for your life.

Last edited:

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We just got back from Vail. The epic Pass deal has expired but around Thanksgiving we purchased two adult three day lift tickets for less than $700.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We just got back from Vail. The epic Pass deal has expired but around Thanksgiving we purchased two adult three day lift tickets for less than $700.
yes vail has changed the landscape of skiing. You have to basically buy a season pass now. We buy the epic local pass for 650 per pass. Its a season pass to Breck, Keystone and Crested Butte. It has limited our mountain hopping that we have done in previous years. With the rising costs of Lift tickets we just had to do it. Anymore if you ski, you either have to plan way in advance or be prepared to PAY UP. There are still some independents out there like Wolf Creek, Monarch, Eldora and the like. WC and Monarch are about 80 per day lift tickets. You can buy multi day tickets that get a little less expensive. Now its pretty much Epic pass or Ikon pass.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

meaningreen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess the difference is

Do you want to resort ski? Or ski?

Are you driving from St. Louis or flying?

I assumed you would fly with a 14 to 15 hour drive each way over a short trip.

Just 2 of you or are you taking the kids?

Like @BigN8 Said wolf creek is awesome. It is a skiers paradise, it is not resort skiing though. We always stay in Pagosa as we like the town better and there are more available accommodations. Wolf creek pass is no joke if there are conditions, which wolfie usually has conditions. They also have the most snow in Colorado just about every year. I obviously have left out Silverton, which is a guided mountain unless you don't fear for your life.
I agree on Pagosa Springs, spent a week there this summer and the town was a great place. Could you just head the other way to Purgatory Resort if the pass to Wolf Creek is closed? Monarch was my go to place when I lived in CS, Wolf Creek and Purgatory I've never skied but those are on my list for next year.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't eliminate Wolf Creek! It's by far the best bargain out there. Either stay in Pagosa Springs or South Fork. Caution, if you stay in Pagosa Springs you could be delayed by the pass being closed, not the case if you stay on South Fork side. But......South Fork has way less hotels and places to eat and drink. Pagosa is much better for eating and drinking. Plus you have the hot springs
Pagosa Springs it is!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Current pricing for Breck lifts is something like $572 per person for three day lift tickets for the MLK weekend... x5, the youngest kid is 13 (adult!), lol. Add the rental at about $200+ per person for 3 days we get into 4-5k territory w/tax for lifts/ski rental - before flights/car/hotel - that's just wrong (or hilarious)... lol.
No way I'm doing that!

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yes vail has changed the landscape of skiing. You have to basically buy a season pass now. We buy the epic local pass for 650 per pass. Its a season pass to Breck, Keystone and Crested Butte. It has limited our mountain hopping that we have done in previous years. With the rising costs of Lift tickets we just had to do it. Anymore if you ski, you either have to plan way in advance or be prepared to PAY UP. There are still some independents out there like Wolf Creek, Monarch, Eldora and the like. WC and Monarch are about 80 per day lift tickets. You can buy multi day tickets that get a little less expensive. Now its pretty much Epic pass or Ikon pass.
@djetok and @BigN8 - thanks a bunch for sharing great info, much appreciated!!
This forum is amazing, usually.

There are 5 of us going, we will be driving at this point, I can't get any reasonably priced tickets this late, and no points work for MLK day, we have to be back by Monday.
Putting new tires, Cooper Discover, on the truck and packing some snow essentials, we'll make it work.

Now, I have one more question - what's the best GPS app for driving in Colorado in the winter? I hear Waze is pretty good, I don't use anything other than google maps but it may not be enough for the snow passes.

--

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
For comparison, here in NCal heavenly seems to have the highest prices at $180 per day for adults, $120 for teens. This is followed by squaw and north star for $150ish per day per adult. A good less expensive resort is Kirkwood at under $100 per day per adult. Less expensive if you buy multi day passes. It costs about 50 per day to rent skis/boots and poles or a board with bindings and boots. I think a helmet is included with both packages.

D3nN1s

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
We booked Breck Feb 1st-7th Ski in and Ski Out Condo... anyone gonna be in the area?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@djetok and @BigN8 - thanks a bunch for sharing great info, much appreciated!!
This forum is amazing, usually.

There are 5 of us going, we will be driving at this point, I can't get any reasonably priced tickets this late, and no points work for MLK day, we have to be back by Monday.
Putting new tires, Cooper Discover, on the truck and packing some snow essentials, we'll make it work.

Now, I have one more question - what's the best GPS app for driving in Colorado in the winter? I hear Waze is pretty good, I don't use anything other than google maps but it may not be enough for the snow passes.

--
not gps but use cotrip.org for road conditions and cameras of road. I will use google (android auto) instead of the Jeeps GPS as it sucks. Going up to WC be careful. You might want to throw some chains in your Toyota. You never know when you need them road wise and legally. If the Cooper discoverys are three peak rated you will meet the snow chain laws for 4 wheel drive. If not you will need chains. Its not a steep run up but they get a ton of snow. When you reach the pass and start your descent look right (if coming from Pagosa), the resort is just over the pass.

Depending on your ski level. If your feeling froggy find a local and ask them to take you on Knife ridge. It will change your life, that could be good and bad. That short expert run gets you into chest deep POW.

Not my video

Last edited:

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We booked Breck Feb 1st-7th Ski in and Ski Out Condo... anyone gonna be in the area?
what peak you on ? I'm assuming 8 or 9 We may be there that weekend as well. We go every 2 weeks