• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet boat

Rwallace

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I got a 1994 sea ray jet boat an it won’t get up on plane

Chrisbert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Do you know why? Is it not making enough power?

Rwallace

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
got a lot of power some on told me my jet intake was clogged up but not sure how to clean it trying to figure it out

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I don't know what jet pump system the Sea Ray uses. My first jet boat was a Browning with a Berkley jet and 455 Olds engine about 30+ years ago and it had a clean out port on the top of the pump inside the bilge just aft of the intake grate. You could open the cover on top of the port to get out any debris. It was a real thrill when the boat was in the water and water would shoot out the port and into the build.... but that would often clean it out.

First thing would be to crawl under the back of the boat if its on a trailer and look into the intake grate on the bottom of the boat with a flashlight and see if there is a twig, plastic bag or other debris that could be disrupting the water flow and causing cavitation preventing you from getting on plane.

Here is what the Berkley Jet Pump looks like and the clean-out port and intake.... just to give you an idea of what you are looking for but it won't be identical to these pictures.

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 2.08.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 2.14.45 PM.png

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Do a search on my reverse move if you get weeds in the intake you can usually get them out doing that if you have ropes or trash probably not and remember go easy backing of trailers as you will be blasting trash off the botom and into your intake grate.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know what jet pump system the Sea Ray uses. My first jet boat was a Browning with a Berkley jet and 455 Olds engine about 30+ years ago and it had a clean out port on the top of the pump inside the bilge just aft of the intake grate. You could open the cover on top of the port to get out any debris. It was a real thrill when the boat was in the water and water would shoot out the port and into the build.... but that would often clean it out.

First thing would be to crawl under the back of the boat if its on a trailer and look into the intake grate on the bottom of the boat with a flashlight and see if there is a twig, plastic bag or other debris that could be disrupting the water flow and causing cavitation preventing you from getting on plane.

Here is what the Berkley Jet Pump looks like and the clean-out port and intake.... just to give you an idea of what you are looking for but it won't be identical to these pictures.

View attachment 195814
View attachment 195818
The boat looks like this.
It has a Mercury Sport Jet 90 and a Seadoo jet drive/nozzle.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a 94 Baja Blast that had the same engine/pump setup in it and had the same problem, the only way I could get up on plane was to have someone sit in the bow. I suspect that I had to much clearance between the impeller and wear ring but never researched it before I sold it.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Same engine and pump I had on my jet boat in 2001 never had an issue with it getting on plane unless weeds were in the pump and that boat was the one I built my first steering system for , plus the same one I developed the reverse move for removing the weeds it was a regal rush but a lot of them had 90 and 120 hp force outboard motors powering the jet pump

silverJ

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Same engine and pump I had on my jet boat in 2001 never had an issue with it getting on plane unless weeds were in the pump and that boat was the one I built my first steering system for , plus the same one I developed the reverse move for removing the weeds it was a regal rush but a lot of them had 90 and 120 hp force outboard motors powering the jet pump
We're dealing with more weeds around here.