• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Jet Boats in Salt Water are a Mistake

RACCAP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For a fair comparison you’d need to compare the 275 SE to the 242 SE. $114,999 vs $72,999.

The 275 SD has a solid hardtop instead of a fabric Bimini. It has DRiVE (paddle throttles). It also has the swim up stern seating. Electronic power steering.

They’re all nice boats. With all due respect It sounds like you’d like to be talked out of the 275. I’m not the guy for that. It’s an awesome boat. The price is very competitive for its class and size. For the 2-3 times per year you’re planning to trailer it you could just rent a truck for those weeks. Don’t get me wrong, I love my AR240! It’s usually just the 2 of us plus a 9 year old. Plenty of room. But I’ve never said “man I wish this boat was smaller”....
"Make a Decision in Haste … Regret in Leisure"

Actually I am NOT looking to be talked out of it, I love it!

But If I can be talked out of it I'd rather be talked out of it now before I buy it.

My concerns are;
  • Is a Jet Boat a mistake for Salt Water use
  • Is a Jet Boat a mistake for a Weed environment
  • Is the 275 SD a good boat,
  • What am I to do about Towing it to Destin, the Keys, Ft Lauderdale etc...
  • Etc...

Last edited:

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I flush my boat, while it is hot. The forklift puts it in the wash rack, and I am flushing it within 10-15 minutes. I also spray the exterior (including the clean-out port, plug and outside drive unit) and interior with the anti-salt solution using a garden hose tip sprayer. I let that work, while I flush the engine. Afterwards, it is just a standard wash with wash and wax soap inside and out.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

But If I can be talked out of it I'd rather be talked out of it now before I buy it.

My concerns are;
  • Etc...
I have only once driven over a weed bed so thick that I had to stop and clean it out immediately because the boat was really bogged down, and it was a really thick weed bed that I should have seen. Getting the weeds out is really easy so I never let it bother me. The jets offer a lot more benefit than that one negative (IMO).

Since I am super envious or the amount of space for boating down in Florida, I would just make a really nice vacation and boat the whole way along the coast, stopping at a new marina every night, as opposed to towing a large boat down crowded roads. But that could just me romanticizing over the idea because I will never be able to do that in MN. My retirement dream is to by a 45' sailing cat and spend my retirement sailing the Caribbean Islands.

They really put some nice features into the 275 and I hope they trickle down to the smaller models. I am particularly impressed with the i-drive. I wouldn't be surprised if that made it into the next 24' redesign. I don't think I would be disappointed with a 275 if I had one and the space to really use it, like you will.

If you can find a place to dry dock it either on a rack or a lift, I wouldn't hesitate on purchasing one if I were in your shoes.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

My concerns are;
  • Etc...
We boat from Hernando beach to Egmont key and everywhere in between. 15 of my 25 years boating experience being with a jet boat.

“Is a Jet Boat a mistake for Salt Water use”
No more than any other boat used in salt water. Flush the engines and clean the boat accordingly just as you would any other boat, no more, no less.

“Is a jet boat a mistake for weed environment “
Even on a bad day weeds aren’t going to ruin your day. I try to avoid the large patches of floating weeds. The way these boats handle that’s usually not a problem even at WOT. If I do start to feel sluggish throwing it in reverse for a second then killing the engines will clear the jets 99.99% of the time. I can think of only 2 times in 15 years of jet boating that I had to get in the water to clear the jets.

“Is the 275 a good boat”
In my opinion it’s an awesome boat! Well out of my price range but if I was in the market for a 27’ boat it would be my top choice.

“What to do about towing”
For those 3 trips per year I’d just rent a truck for the week.

I doubt you’ll be unhappy with whatever you choose.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I may have missed it, but will this boat be stored in the water or out of the water most of the time? If in the water, I'd seriously consider other alternatives. That's not a "Yamaha" thing, but a jet thing. Marine growth will severely blunt the performance and growth in the pumps themselves will be very difficult to deal with and/or prevent. If storing out of the water, obviously that isn't an issue. I would strongly encourage you to demo the boats you are looking at. If a dealer won't let you demo, don't buy from them.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
“Is the 275 a good boat”
In my opinion it’s an awesome boat! Well out of my price range but if I was in the market for a 27’ boat it would be my top choice.
Coming from you, that has me super extra curious! lol. Now I may have to get in one for a ride this summer.
I (kind of) like the styling, but the whole package has the appeal of like a deck boat... Unless it rides well which it might, and if it could be surfed behind which I have not seen yet.

--

RACCAP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I may have missed it, but will this boat be stored in the water or out of the water most of the time? If in the water, I'd seriously consider other alternatives. That's not a "Yamaha" thing, but a jet thing. Marine growth will severely blunt the performance and growth in the pumps themselves will be very difficult to deal with and/or prevent. If storing out of the water, obviously that isn't an issue. I would strongly encourage you to demo the boats you are looking at. If a dealer won't let you demo, don't buy from them.
I have a HIGH n DRY covered area in a marina to leave the boat at

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Coming from you, that has me super extra curious! lol. Now I may have to get in one for a ride this summer.
I (kind of) like the styling, but the whole package has the appeal of like a deck boat... Unless it rides well which it might, and if it could be surfed behind which I have not seen yet.

--
It definitely has the feel of a yamaha jet boat like I’m used to, not a deck boat. It rides like the 240 but just bigger. I really like the walkthrough transom instead of stepping over the back seat. The hardtop on the SD was nice but I I’d prefer the tower with a fabric bimini.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

RACCAP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We boat from Hernando beach to Egmont key and everywhere in between. 15 of my 25 years boating experience being with a jet boat.

“Is a Jet Boat a mistake for Salt Water use”
No more than any other boat used in salt water. Flush the engines and clean the boat accordingly just as you would any other boat, no more, no less.

“Is a jet boat a mistake for weed environment “
Even on a bad day weeds aren’t going to ruin your day. I try to avoid the large patches of floating weeds. The way these boats handle that’s usually not a problem even at WOT. If I do start to feel sluggish throwing it in reverse for a second then killing the engines will clear the jets 99.99% of the time. I can think of only 2 times in 15 years of jet boating that I had to get in the water to clear the jets.

“Is the 275 a good boat”

“What to do about towing”
For those 3 trips per year I’d just rent a truck for the week.

I doubt you’ll be unhappy with whatever you choose.

Yeah I found I could rent a 3/4 ton for about $500 a week

Can I also rent a trailer?

Maybe I should just leave my boat at home and rent a boat in the Keys and Destinn

If I decide to go to Bimini I could also transport the boat to the East Coast

Last edited:

RACCAP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It definitely has the feel of a yamaha jet boat like I’m used to, not a deck boat. It rides like the 240 but just bigger. I really like the walkthrough transom instead of stepping over the back seat. The hardtop on the SD was nice but I I’d prefer the tower with a fabric bimini.
RESPONSE

The walk through transom is one of the reasons why I feel I need it

I am 65 yo and have arthritis in my feet and from time to time walking and stepping is challenging

Hopefully not too challenging to boat

Last edited:

RACCAP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

RESPONSE … They make a 275 SE model with a Tower and fabric top but I am kinda stuck on the DRIVE system.

I think that's the future and would hate to have their top-of-the-line model without it when someday its on a lower priced model

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My family and I went to Destin 2018 and rented a boat. Greatest decision ever. Too many rental boats way too close. I’d be freaking out if my boat was there. 2019 we trailered to the keys and used the boat nearly everyday. I’d suggest getting a trailer so at least so you have options (depending on the actual cost). Renting a trailer seems like a logistical nightmare.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
My family and I went to Destin 2018 and rented a boat. Greatest decision ever. Too many rental boats way too close. I’d be freaking out if my boat was there. 2019 we trailered to the keys and used the boat nearly everyday. I’d suggest getting a trailer so at least so you have options (depending on the actual cost). Renting a trailer seems like a logistical nightmare.
You should attend Gasparilla. Went the last 2 years. Had a blast! Loved every minute of it. Can't wait for next year.

RACCAP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Comes down to the 24 or 27 ft

If I get the 24 trailering is easier

I rented a Captain with a Yamaha AR240 to take me out in ST Pete for a few hours

Then I am going out on a Yamaha 27 ( from the dealer on a lake)

Bottom line gonna see if I must have the 27 or is the 24 ok

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Comes down to the 24 or 27 ft

If I get the 24 trailering is easier

I rented a Captain with a Yamaha AR240 to take me out in ST Pete for a few hours

Then I am going out on a Yamaha 27 ( from the dealer on a lake)

Bottom line gonna see if I must have the 27 or is the 24 ok
I'll take you out, if you want to go in St. Pete. No problem. We can do the bay or head to downtown St. Pete. Let me know.

RACCAP

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you have a Yamaha Jet Boat?

What model do you have?

How much would you need to get $$$ ?

How ling do you think we'd need for me to get a good feel for it???

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Do you have a Yamaha Jet Boat?

What model do you have?

How much would you need to get $$$ ?

How ling do you think we'd need for me to get a good feel for it???
Should have noted that but, I have a 22' Chaparral VRX with twin 250s. It is a jet boat but does have some features which Yami does not. I also have trim tabs to aid in choppy weather. I can offer you a different perspective with my boat but you'll get a feel for how jet boats handle. It's totally up to you. I'll even let you drive!!! :winkingthumbsup"

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Should have noted that but, I have a 22' Chaparral VRX with twin 250s. It is a jet boat but does have some features which Yami does not. I also have trim tabs to aid in choppy weather. I can offer you a different perspective with my boat but you'll get a feel for how jet boats handle. It's totally up to you. I'll even let you drive!!! :winkingthumbsup"
@RACCAP do you like dogs?

Merlion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve owne a 2019 242x for a year, use it heavily in salt water here in Miami (at least once a week) and like everyone else said, as long as you flush it and wash it down after every outing, the boat will look and perform like new. I store it in a dry rack by the way.

as far the the 275SD, you should definitely get it!, if the extra price tag is not an issue, don’t think about it too much... I’ve seen the boat in person at the boat show, it feels bigger and roomier inside, the long and wide transom does make a huge difference over the 242 (not having to climb over the rear seats). The drive system is very intuitive and although not a “must-have”, it’s actually pretty damn cool to use. Also, if you’re like myself, I use the boat mostly for the sandbars, islands, and shallow water, this (like the other jatboats) is the perfect boat for that type of use.

For all the reasons you mentioned, I think you’ll quickly regret not going for the 275 if you end up with the 242

Do find a dry rack marina or a lift (that’s a must) and you’ll be a very happy boater!

After seeing the 275sd in person, I’m seriously considering it my next boat...rather sooner than later :)

Attachments