• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Jet pull and bearing greased 2013 SX240

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would like to add a couple of things to a bearing greasing job. First thanks to all on this site and especially!!!! Captain Leon!!!! on a great video of this process it made my first jet pull easy.

Only a couple of things I would like to add on the process and a opinion on Yamaha grease. First photo...... jet cone cup 11 year old Type A approx. 200 hour grease. I would like to point out in the cone you can clearly see the bearing impression imbedded in the grease sticking out beyond the cone. This shows the grease as it heats up flows and migrates towards the heat source/bearing.

Second photo of a needle grease tip I bent and could get it to slip behind both roller keepers behind the bearing. Third photo after 40 slow pumps(small needle) you can see the brown grease forced out from behind the bearing. It easy not easy to work the needle through both keepers behind the bearing but it is possible.

Last my comments on grease.....I removed my normal Marine Green grease and put in a fresh tube of Type A Yamaha ....in my 2013 SX240 service manual it calls out type A(or equivalent marine) in the midshaft bearing, bearing itself, and shaft behind the bearing and the cone as Type A......no Epnoc on my year.

Now observation/opinion and can't answer Capitan Leons question of why 2 different grease in his year boat Type A bearing and Epnoc in the cone. Marine green grease Thick, heavy 500 degrees drip point and vary vary sticky. Type A Yamaha EP 475 degrees drip point..... vary light weight and extremely smooth and vary creamy.......not nearly as sticky. This stuff felt like hand cream pumped out of a bottle..

I noticed on videos Epnoc look light and creamy as well(squeese it from a bottle) and the 360 degree drip point was vary low as well for an EP grease......should flow well towards heat source. Last I used my sticky green marine grease on my splines as the grease on these after 11 years was almost non existent and black as coal..........this definitely need attention. My impellers look like new(no nicks or bent blades ect..... and tolerance/feeler gauge to SS liner was tight.

Hope I helped a little...... for those in the future taking on this maintenance project.

Attachments

• IMG_5430.JPG
    IMG_5430.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5444.JPG
    IMG_5444.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5443.JPG
    IMG_5443.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Back