• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Check your Raw water impeller.
It has a new raw water pump. Also running on a hose, the water pressure tends to easily bypass a worn impeller.

I’m going to run it hot and shoot it with an IR gun for temp readings, and then take the thermostat out and see if that eliminates the problem.

Appreciate the suggestions, thanks guys!

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It has a new raw water pump. Also running on a hose, the water pressure tends to easily bypass a worn impeller.

I’m going to run it hot and shoot it with an IR gun for temp readings, and then take the thermostat out and see if that eliminates the problem.

Appreciate the suggestions, thanks guys!
True about the worn impeller provided that the previous impeller did not break apart and get washed down the line and is now clogging the cooling passage/hose.
Been down the cooling issues road a hundred times on I/O's but next easiest is the t-stat for sure.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
True about the worn impeller provided that the previous impeller did not break apart and get washed down the line and is now clogging the cooling passage/hose.
Been down the cooling issues road a hundred times on I/O's but next easiest is the t-stat for sure.
No the raw water pump was replaced because of a corroded bearing, the impeller was only 5 months old, put in a new one anyway.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone happen to have a fuel receipt from
Bimini Sands that shows what taxes were charged?

It has come to my attention that the July group may have been charged excess taxes that should have been included in the fuel price.

@Ryuc14911, I know you were concerned about this issue.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone happen to have a fuel receipt from
Bimini Sands that shows what taxes were charged?

It has come to my attention that the July group may have been charged excess taxes that should have been included in the fuel price.

@Ryuc14911, I know you were concerned about this issue.
This wouldn’t surprise me more then likely not the marina itself riping people off but the actual employees doing so its an easy way to pocket cash as if they over charge you by 10% later on they can apply the overcharges to a cash purchase and pocket the cash especially easy with their hand written tickets I’m betting all that matters at the end of the day is the gallons billed match the total collected. So if the total fuel pumped for the day is totaled at $15,000 and at the end of the day they have they have $14,000 in credit card slips with 10% over charges on them they should be able to pocket around $1400 from the cash sales and it all still reconcile out correctly and the fuel guys walk away with $1400 in their pockets for the day. It’s funny the fuel guy that was there in June was having a few beers and had no problems telling me he was making a lot of money working there enough that he actually lived in Nassau but it was good enough for him to come stay there and go back forth a bunch.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843, the VAT rate in the Bahamas increased to 12.5% on July 1st. VAT is supposed to be included in fuel prices. Fuel prices had increased which I expected with the, I believe, 8% increase in VAT on fuel.

The question is whether or not Bimini Sands was charging VAT on top of the fuel prices. If they were that would be another harmful and possibly illegal act by Peter Maury.

The fuel dock staff are long term employees that want the best for Bimini Sands and the customers.

I always paid cash for fuel and never collected a receipt.

It has become clear that despite statements indicating that slip overcharges would be refunded Peter Maury has not processed those refunds. I agree with Andy that anyone who was overcharged for their slip should dispute the overcharge.

I learned today that the Robalo group was also overcharged for their slips. I suggest getting your dispute in before they do.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843, the VAT rate in the Bahamas increased to 12.5% on July 1st. VAT is supposed to be included in fuel prices. Fuel prices had increased which I expected with the, I believe, 8% increase in VAT on fuel.

The question is whether or not Bimini Sands was charging VAT on top of the fuel prices. If they were that would be another harmful and possibly illegal act by Peter Maury.

The fuel dock staff are long term employees that want the best for Bimini Sands and the customers.

I always paid cash for fuel and never collected a receipt.

It has become clear that despite statements indicating that slip overcharges would be refunded Peter Maury has not processed those refunds. I agree with Andy that anyone who was overcharged for their slip should dispute the overcharge.

I learned today that the Robalo group was also overcharged for their slips. I suggest getting your dispute in before they do.
I understand but still think it’s more likely that the marina staff was pulling a scam on patrons then Peter Maury trying to pocket an extra percentage as let’s be honest if the marina staff was that trust worthy they would not have been doing it even if they were told to do so. Someone would have just went to the Bahamas authorities and snitched if it was Maury doing it as he doesn’t sound like the most popular guy over there. If the marina staff didn’t snitch surely the sands staff would have snitched if it was Maury stealing money. Once again this is all assuming it was actually happening I’m in the same spot never got a gas receipt.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843, the fuel dock crew is the same that I have known for years. Perhaps 5 years for some of them. I have no doubt about their honesty.

VAT had not increased in June so your visit should not have been effected by additional fuel tax charges.

The slip overcharges and potential fuel tax overcharges were the orders of Peter Maury who is frequently on site.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Amar Nanduri might have a receipt. I handed it to Anu after his boat was done swallowing 50 gallons

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843, the fuel dock crew is the same that I have known for years. Perhaps 5 years for some of them. I have no doubt about their honesty.

VAT had not increased in June so your visit should not have been effected by additional fuel tax charges.

The slip overcharges and potential fuel tax overcharges were the orders of Peter Maury who is frequently on site.
Vat increase would not have mattered in June if VAT was supposed to be included in the fuel price and we were being charged it on top of the fuel price I’m guessing it would be the same scam unless I’m reading what your saying wrong which is possible I have done it before. Same deal though not sure how you can say their honest yet question that they were possibly ripping you off. The reality is that person who pumped your fuel wrote that ticket and intentionally over charged you maliciously not Peter Maury even if Peter Maury told him to do it the fuel man choose to do so and not tell you. Once again only if it actually happened though.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Robert, if VAT was charged on top of fuel prices it was because the boss said to. The fuel dock staff do not make up their own prices.

In June the fuel VAT rate was either 4.5% or 7.5%z. In July it increased to 12.5%.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can’t speak to fuel prices but the fuel staff was not honest. For that matter neither was the cleaning staff. The day we arrived they suddenly “ran out of fuel” yet the next morning when they were ready to work again they suddenly “miscalculated”and had an additional 1500 gallons. When we checked in our room, we immediately went to the front desk as the room....let’s just say it wasn’t up to pair. The cleaning staff came down to argue that they had just swept and moped the floor, and yes argued was used intentionally, yet when I took the broom and swept up a pile of sand/dirt/hair they began to change the tune. After that we chose to clean the floor ourselves with about 100 Clorox wipes. I might be wrong but if felt like we were in the middle of a transition and their was no accountability with the staff whatsoever. I could go on with several complaints but I’ll just say I was amazed of how the place has regressed in such a short time because they had made a few nice improvements last year.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck, I agree on the insanity of the rapid downturn. Just a few weeks earlier Crossing for a Cure had 150+ happy people staying at Bimini Sands, receiving massages under the pool pavilion and swimming in a clean pool with bathrooms. Peter Maury and Dennis Mackey who is his on site administrator had the pavilion torn down, locked the pool bathroom doors and I believe ordered the false fuel shortage as another of their acts of sabotage.

I am very unhappy with the intentional harm that they have caused to our groups, to the families whose condo reservations Peter canceled, to the staff at Bimini Sands and to Bimini as a whole. While you were there and after you left I was communicating behind the scenese to try to resolve these issues. Unfortunately it is impossible to work with such dishonest people. I will be posting more about this next week.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I really hope they make some significant improvements to their maintenance program and rental requirements. I’ll overlook the water clarity issues and algae on the walls, but broken concrete sections in the pool, missing tiles on stairs (which I set several tiles on the pool edge and they stayed there for our entire stay), pool light disconnected 2 inches from the wall, need to be addressed. Also, there are a lot of rooms that are simply not up to standard imo. There should be a minimum requirement as to how a unit should be stocked and how it should be maintained. Some of the units need to taken off the rental program until they are properly taken care of.

I don’t know all the background Bruce, but the pool bathroom being locked was ridiculous. I guess I’m still lucky that Josie will not pee in a pool but taking her to the ocean every time as opposed to the walk back to our room got old quickly.

From your understanding, what is Peter’s motivation in tanking the place?

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey @Bruce it sounds as if you're getting a lot of flak for the Bimini Sands challenges.
I know you have selflessly put countless (unpaid) hours into organizing this great trip for the participants and none of the issues could have been predicted. I know you're still spending a lot of time trying to iron some of the overcharges out. I believe a word of thanks to you is long overdue.

Please don't let the complaints discourage you from all the fantastic work you have done to provide so many families the vacation of a lifetime.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey @Bruce it sounds as if you're getting a lot of flak for the Bimini Sands challenges.
I know you have selflessly put countless (unpaid) hours into organizing this great trip for the participants and none of the issues could have been predicted. I know you're still spending a lot of time trying to iron some of the overcharges out. I believe a word of thanks to you is long overdue.

Please don't let the complaints discourage you from all the fantastic work you have done to provide so many families the vacation of a lifetime.
Bruce was a guest just like us. How or why would we give him flak? That assumption is a bit unguided IMO. I’m confident that I can speak for everyone that has had a complaint and say that Bruce did nothing to create, cause, or could have predicted the issues at hand. I like most others who have made statements have joined alongside Bruce for multiple years now and I don’t recall any consistent complaints like you have read this year. We simply have experienced a very different Bimini Sands in years past. There is no reason to assume any disappointment was directed at Bruce as that would simply be ridiculous. We are all very grateful for his contribution to this trip.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck, I am curious which condo you were in. Generally the homeowner condos are in better condition than the developer condos were.

The pool physical maintenance is a developer issue. That one goes deep. So deep that the developer Rupert Roberts is being sued in Florida for not paying for the pools construction. The lack of maintenance to the docks and lack of completion of the docks are also developer issues.

It is hard to determine what Peter Maury’s goal is. He has told homeowners that he wants to force an end to the rental business. It is rumored that he wants to run Bimini Sands into the ground so that a friendly investor can buy it cheap. Either way I do not expect him to be there long. All that I really know about him is that he is extremely dishonest.