• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling July 9th to 14th 2018

ThatJeepGirl

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did I read somewhere that the pool at Bimini sands was locked?
Just the bathrooms
Yeah, just the bathrooms. Not really a deal breaker. To be honest, last year I started to wonder how everyone was always in the infinity pool, drinking away, but rarely did I see anyone get out to use the restroom. I guess no one ever “broke the seal”.

Water Girl

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@watergirl, @jaburt, the forecasts are constantly changing however Sunday's forecasts appear similar to 2015 & 2017 with bigger waves and up to 15 mph wind forecast. The wind is scheduled to turn a little northernly in the afternoon. If the wind switches to northernly you will be repeating 2015 & 2107 but perhaps in bigger water.

Based on current forecasts I highly recommend either moving up to Saturday or waiting for Tuesday.
I see it keeps changing. I honestly dont know what to do. I can’t make it in until Saturday evening.
Brian doesn’t want to cross on Tuesday as then it’s not worth his/our time with all the travel.
Others in the group also do not want to do Tuesday.
I’m really stuck here.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Any way the Saturday group can get customs forms?

Screennameinuse

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see it keeps changing. I honestly dont know what to do. I can’t make it in until Saturday evening.
Brian doesn’t want to cross on Tuesday as then it’s not worth his/our time with all the travel.
Others in the group also do not want to do Tuesday.
I’m really stuck here.
Sorry for the late chime in. I've been out of contact for a few days. Just catching up with all this, My party (four adults) won't be in until Saturday night, too. We'll follow suit with the mass, but our earliest possible readiness would be Sunday. I'll pass along the options to my folks and see what they choose. Thanks everyone for the contact updates.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@watergirl, @jaburt, the forecasts are constantly changing however Sunday's forecasts appear similar to 2015 & 2017 with bigger waves and up to 15 mph wind forecast. The wind is scheduled to turn a little northernly in the afternoon. If the wind switches to northernly you will be repeating 2015 & 2107 but perhaps in bigger water.

Based on current forecasts I highly recommend either moving up to Saturday or waiting for Tuesday.
You are putting way to much faith in Tuesday it doesn't make sense to see a period like that with in hours of consistent high winds over a 48 hour period. I really do expect Sunday to be better then Tuesday. Saturday for sure looks to be the best day but if I had a choice between Sunday or Tuesday I'm picking Sunday all day right now. Right now the forecasts I'm seeing show winds within 1-2 mph of being the same on those days and wave heights being basically the same as well the only major difference is Sunday is coming after a calm day and Tuesday is following two days of higher winds. The forecast on Tuesday being better just doesn't add up right now.

Screennameinuse

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are putting way to much faith in Tuesday it doesn't make sense to see a period like that with in hours of consistent high winds over a 48 hour period. I really do expect Sunday to be better then Tuesday. Saturday for sure looks to be the best day but if I had a choice between Sunday or Tuesday I'm picking Sunday all day right now. Right now the forecasts I'm seeing show winds within 1-2 mph of being the same on those days and wave heights being basically the same as well the only major difference is Sunday is coming after a calm day and Tuesday is following two days of higher winds. The forecast on Tuesday being better just doesn't add up right now.
Still an early am departure time?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@robert843, I get it. You would stay at more expensive places and cross in rougher water. It is not a competition for me.

Your position is consistently more agressive than mine. That is fine. It is good to have differing opinions. However there needs to be caution in crossing the stream.

The strongest consensus of the varied forecasts is for longer wave periods on Tuesday. It fits well for my family so that is what we are aiming for.

Those that cross on Saturday should have a reasonable crossing.

Any that cross on Sunday risk a beating. If it thought Sunday was likely to be a good crossing day I would be moving my schedule up to cross then.

I am more optimistic about Monday than Sunday.

If we really get widely spaced waves and less than 10 mph winds we should have a good crossing on Tuesday.

Both Saturday and Tuesday will be shocking it first time crossers.

Throw 15 mph winds into Sunday or Monday and it will get nasty out there.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@robert843, I get it. You would stay at more expensive places and cross in rougher water. It is not a competition for me.

Your position is consistently more agressive than mine. That is fine. It is good to have differing opinions. However there needs to be caution in crossing the stream.

The strongest consensus of the varied forecasts is for longer wave periods on Tuesday. It fits well for my family so that is what we are aiming for.

Those that cross on Saturday should have a reasonable crossing.

Any that cross on Sunday risk a beating.

I am more optimistic about Monday than Sunday.

If we really get widely spaced waves and less than 10 mph winds we should have a good crossing on Tuesday.

Both Saturday and Tuesday will be shocking it first time crossers.

Throw 15 mph winds into Sunday or Monday and it will get nasty out there.

@Bruce no this is not a competition but you of all people know that when the forecast doesn't add up that it is likely not correct. I can not sit by and watch you possibly lead people into worse conditions on Tuesday when many could have crossed in better conditions on Sunday. We do have very differing opinions on this but to think I'm saying people should cross on Sunday to win some kind of competition is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard as you would have to explain to me what exactly I'm trying to win here and I sure hope that your not thinking my goal is send people out in worse conditions them they need to be in. TO EACH CAPTAIN YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR CREW PLEASE TAKE BRUCE'S AND MY COMMENTS HERE AS NO GUARENTEE FOR YOUR SAFETY ON ANY OFF THESE DAYS INCLUDING SATURDAY AND MAKE THE BEST CHOICE YOU CAN FOR YOUR CREW.

Ryuc14911

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
After much review, My group can not make it until an early sunday morning departure. Looking at forecasts models and all the data available, Sunday seems to be the best beating to take. So we will be leaving sunday before dawn. 5:30AM if possible. As the weather forcasts gets closer and more accurate, we are choosing to take a lighter beating sunday and be in less rough waters reaching bimini. On Monday, as you leave port everglades, it is expected to get worse the closer you get to bimini. This is why we are choosing sunday. There is a very tight and small window to leave, but if we leave on time, we should be able to make good time. God willing. Anyone wanting or needing to leave Sunday is very much more than welcome to join.

Water Girl

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After much review, My group can not make it until an early sunday morning departure. Looking at forecasts models and all the data available, Sunday seems to be the best beating to take. So we will be leaving sunday before dawn. 5:30AM if possible. As the weather forcasts gets closer and more accurate, we are choosing to take a lighter beating sunday and be in less rough waters reaching bimini. On Monday, as you leave port everglades, it is expected to get worse the closer you get to bimini. This is why we are choosing sunday. There is a very tight and small window to leave, but if we leave on time, we should be able to make good time. God willing. Anyone wanting or needing to leave Sunday is very much more than welcome to join.
I also agree with the 5:30-6 am cross on Sunday. Seems to be a small window there.
Everything keeps changing so really we wont know till then.
Id do Saturday if I could but I just can’t there due to needs of my patients right now.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
FWIW
Maybe if people posted their repair bills from the 2017 crossing that would help people decide.
From a jetskis point of view, those boats took one hellova beating, I thought for sure they might bust apart at any minute.
In rough seas don't forget to add some recovery time for your body.
Okay, I'll try to be positive, it is not all bad!

For example, the good news is, crossing to Bimini (under more normal circumstances - NOT like June'18) will expose any structural and mechanical weaknesses in the boat very well. Subsequently those can be fixed and the boat becomes kind of awesome!

Some of the damage may be more pricey to fix than other but the bottom line is this: for me, I have WAY MORE confidence in my boat right now (having fixed all the damage w/poor design/QC) - than I ever had - before/during/immediately after our 2017 crossing with my then brand new AR240!

Don't get me wrong, the bills hurt, there is a lot of labor of love involved to correct all the issues, and wrangling w/yamaha corp. in a court is bruising. BUT - at the end of the day - this crossing provides what it takes to acquire confidence in your boat.
And that's priceless.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
for the love of God; can we not make this a Jerry Springer show?

@Water Girl I think you might be able to open your own practice in Bimini

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Bruce no this is not a competition but you of all people know that when the forecast doesn't add up that it is likely not correct. I can not sit by and watch you possibly lead people into worse conditions on Tuesday when many could have crossed in better conditions on Sunday. We do have very differing opinions on this but to think I'm saying people should cross on Sunday to win some kind of competition is the most ridiculous statement I have ever heard as you would have to explain to me what exactly I'm trying to win here and I sure hope that your not thinking my goal is send people out in worse conditions them they need to be in. TO EACH CAPTAIN YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR CREW PLEASE TAKE BRUCE'S AND MY COMMENTS HERE AS NO GUARENTEE FOR YOUR SAFETY ON ANY OFF THESE DAYS INCLUDING SATURDAY AND MAKE THE BEST CHOICE YOU CAN FOR YOUR CREW.
I no longer have a horse in this race but agree with @robert843 .

Ryuc14911

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
F1505C11-4172-4147-83D1-D92002E25E5D.png 3643DDB4-4ABA-45B7-8A8E-074EDA7B2BAA.png 4A38F3A0-F3DA-4C09-B34D-AB46A42F26B8.png 5A1B1FF7-35ED-4EA7-AA99-DE1AD096BFE5.png A0BB3744-AE24-46D0-84CE-1398DAE1D16D.png FA7C3870-943D-4143-96C3-B7937DDB1C67.png
I also agree with the 5:30-6 am cross on Sunday. Seems to be a small window there.
Everything keeps changing so really we wont know till then.
Id do Saturday if I could but I just can’t there due to needs of my patients right now.
I can do Saturday but I will under no circumstances leave my group behind to fend for themselves. But I’m attaching a few pics below that will support a Sunday crossing. Hope it helps others make a decision. In the map that shows an aqua green color over the Bimini area, it’s possible percipitable water in the air. The pic below that, shows clouds. Clouds are the white spots. It is likely we will hit some rain showers on the way there. So Sunday’s fleet must expect to get rained on at some point. Currently we have decided to follow a straight line to Bimini in order to minimize fuel stops. The earlier we leave the better. If we can squeeze a 5-5:30 departure, we should be ok.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sense a big Bro Hug happening on Tuesday over some beers and shots....:winkingthumbsup"

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 78243 View attachment 78244 View attachment 78245 View attachment 78246 View attachment 78247 View attachment 78248
I can do Saturday but I will under no circumstances leave my group behind to fend for themselves. But I’m attaching a few pics below that will support a Sunday crossing. Hope it helps others make a decision. In the map that shows an aqua green color over the Bimini area, it’s possible percipitable water in the air. The pic below that, shows clouds. Clouds are the white spots. It is likely we will hit some rain showers on the way there. So Sunday’s fleet must expect to get rained on at some point. Currently we have decided to follow a straight line to Bimini in order to minimize fuel stops. The earlier we leave the better. If we can squeeze a 5-5:30 departure, we should be ok.
Ouch. You guys make sure pack some ibuprofen, lol.
Godspeed.

--

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Regardless of Saturday, Sunday, or Tuesday you should be in better wind conditions then what the group left in last year. The only thing I can't see is how long the wind was at these mph's last year. Just set your throttle at a decent pace and bounce your way to Bimini. Keep your windshield open!

upload_2018-7-5_15-35-32.png

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am booked for in same unit 21I and booked at the Marina for Saturday and Sunday. As stated before we are open to helping others for a night or two and are bringing two inflatable backpacking sleeping mats. I am also open rafting up if marina is an issue and have a giant inflatable rafting fender. I also spoke with @rsrlegends who is set at the sands as well. My family plans to spend some time checking out north Bimini until the main contingent arrives.

I am going to start a group text message for those leaving on Saturday. Just pm me your cell phone number.

@Berrie @rsrlegends @D3nN1s @Dochapel

For those looking at a rougher crossing it is an option to ferry some crew members over but I am by no mean suggesting one way or the other as I am a Bimini newbie.

Good luck all.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
View attachment 78243 View attachment 78244 View attachment 78245 View attachment 78246 View attachment 78247 View attachment 78248
It takes some time to get to the inlet where u can hit the gas. We started at the marina in the dark dark... When we finally were able to hit the gas it was completely light... Others can give u a better time frame for the travel from the marina to the inlet but if u can do the majority of that in the dark and be at the inlet right as it starts to lighten up then u should be able to shave off some time on an early start... Just my humble observation!

Last edited:

Rana

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rana is a sweet lady!

(if I lost my glasses during the crossing... and Kate found out about it... I would have had them nailed to my forehead on the way back, lol)

--

I even bought Emma a matching sunglasses retainer strap...none of us can afford to lose sight... three of us so far are very nearsighted. Gavin’s sight has held close to 20/20 so far but, I doubt that will last with two nearsighted parents...