• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As one of the Captains of a disabled boat on the last trip, I have to comment that no one left me or anyone else behind and quite honestly I was surprised at how many stayed around to help as they did, you can watch the videos and clearly see more than 6 boats and jet skis circling me until the CG and the TowBoat showed up. they even went so far as to pick up not only my family that bailed into the water but any of my belongings that they could rescue and take them back to shore.

I think the point @upperdeck is making is don't plan on attempting this trip if you don't know your boats or your capabilities..

For instance a 19' Jet Boat requires twice the fuel to get there as the bigger boats especially at low not on plane speeds..

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
As one of the Captains of a disabled boat on the last trip, I have to comment that no one left me or anyone else behind and quite honestly I was surprised at how many stayed around to help as they did, you can watch the videos and clearly see more than 6 boats and jet skis circling me until the CG and the TowBoat showed up. they even went so far as to pick up not only my family that bailed into the water but any of my belongings that they could rescue and take them back to shore.

I think the point @upperdeck is making is don't plan on attempting this trip if you don't know your boats or your capabilities..

For instance a 19' Jet Boat requires twice the fuel to get there as the bigger boats especially at low not on plane speeds..
Exactly right.

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

zedxmike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I completely understand the need to improve safety and the experience the next go round. I just wish that everything that happened in 15 could be looked at with a different perspective. many mistakes were made by many people. Lets learn and make things better.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I completely understand the need to improve safety and the experience the next go round. I just wish that everything that happened in 15 could be looked at with a different perspective. many mistakes were made by many people. Lets learn and make things better.
It is my understanding that by way of the registration form and the frank conversations in this thread, that is exactly what is taking place

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Please do not feel singled out. A number of mistakes and accidents occurred during the 2015 trip. The first is that we had underprepared boats out there. We have analyzed what went wrong last year and are trying to address those issues in planning 2016 with as little finger pointing as possible. We need to recognize the issues and why they happened. The who is much less important. If you will support me I will work to avoid those issues in 2016.

The below planing speed issue is one that we all participated in for part of the trip and one that we need to avoid repeating.

shane hric

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
shane hric has registered to captain Indian Princess with a crew of 4-5 adults and 1 children. They hail from the home port of Hobart, IN..

The crew is described as: Myself (Shane), Wife (Pam), 4 yr. old Daughter (Olivia), and Brother-inlaw (Ravi).

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have been working with Bimini Sands to find out what dates have high availability and to negotiate a discounted rate.

So far what I have learned is that they are fully booked June 10 to 13. I hoped that was the Boston Whaler group but it is not.

The Whalers have not confirmed their dates yet. The Whalers fully occupy Bimini and consume all the fuel, supplies, resteraunts and fish in the area. So we want to plan around their trip. I am reaching out to all the contacts that I have to try to learn when their trip will be.

For now please get your registration completed which includes a vote for how long you would like to stay in Bimini. The more participants that register the easier it will be to get the discount. Last year we were able to get a 15% discount which really adds up on $275 a night condos.

Once we know how log you want to stay and when the Whalers will be there we will have a poll to select from the available date ranges.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lots was learned in the 2015 crossing, and future crossings will benefit from the experience. Hindsight is 20/20. It is my opinion that the group leaders did the best job possible in assisting newbies such as myself in preparing for the crossing. I trusted them then, and I still trust them now. I would not have attempted this amazing experience if it were not for this forum and those within it who prepared and guided the group.
One thing that was not mentioned was that the leaders changed tactics for the second attempt, which was to minimize the choppiness by following in single file. Good idea, but many boats ended up following too closely and it kind of became a stop n go traffic jam; well not actually full stop, but many times too slow to keep the bow up, and definitely too slow to get reasonable fuel mileage. One benefit of the single file formation is that I could see when a big wave was coming by how the boat ahead of me reacted. As conditions changed, the experienced captains in the group found better ways to go about things, and in some cases, they broke from the group and went on their own. I wanted to join them, but the last instructions that I received as part of the group were to stick together in single-file and to keep an eye on the boat behind me; so that's what I did. It was good advice because the boat behind me ran out of gas about 5 miles out; I had packed extra fuel, and the seas were calm, so it was no big deal to circle back to help them. And to give you an idea of the kind of people they are, while I was at the airport getting through customs, they went to my boat, retrieved the empty gas can and filled it up. Very nice.
In crossing, I was part of the front group that was proceeding in the single-file formation. After transferring 5 gallons to the boat behind me, I carried on to the final destination at planing speed. The 19 footer that has been referred to in the previous posts (the one that was going too slow, and that needed to borrow gas a couple of times... the one who's marriage either got stronger or ended in divorce because of the event) actually beat me to Bimini Sands, so in my opinion they weren't that far behind the front group. In my opinion, my front group was going too slow. My 2015 AR240 has a range of over 130 miles in nice seas. My low fuel alarm started going off about 8 miles out. I ran at 0% fuel (according to Connext) for the last 2 or 3 miles. I wasn't worried because I still had extra fuel on board, but I was curious to see whether my boat had enough fuel to make the trip by pushing water all of the way; it did.
Lastly, I don't really want to stir things up with @rollosan and @upperdeck, but I think that it's important to recognize that I think that both have the same goodwilled intentions, which is to make the next crossing preparation and tactics more robust than the previous one. I get where @upperdeck is coming from (don't intentionally put your boat or other's at risk), and I get where @rollosan is coming from in that you always assist a boat in need especially if they are part of your group. My opinion is that they are both right, but @rollosan, if you had the chance to meet @upperdeck, you would know that "coward" is a word that should not be associated with him, and that knowing so, an apology to him would be the right thing to do later on when things have cooled down.
I don't think that the Jetboaters Bimini crossing should become a case to demonstrate natural selection. I don't think that it's possible to screen all of the captains who want to join. I do think that preparation and tactics will be improved based on the 2015 crossing. I think that it is vitally important for any captain who decides to join the crossing to understand that their vessel and crew are their primary responsibility, and that it is their responsibility to prepare accordingly. All that being said, the 2015 conditions were a new experience for the Jetboaters group. Sure, some captains were better prepared than others, but no captain embarked on the crossing knowing that they were ill-prepared.
I trust that the forum leaders will do their best to help everybody prepare for the trip, but don't go on the trip if you are not fully prepared.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce nice job on the form. where are the dates captured? and under the users tag list what is (at)bimini ?
Eric,

The registration form data is stored in the forum database. Currently 5 of the 9 registrants have chosen the Monday to Saturday option. You can guess who chose 10 ;)

Screen Shot 2016-01-07 at 1.25.32 PM.png

(at)Bimini is a "Event Information User Group". Twenty seven members have joined the (at)Bimini user group. Any time we tag that user group they all get a notice. Similar groups exist for other events you can see them when you go to
Join User Groups.

We are eagerly awaiting your registration!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So......for those of you who have not had rough water experience, I would suggest you load up the family and head out the next time it's rough and maintain speed through the wakes to see how you like it and if all crew onboard is ok with experiencing this for hours at a time. Just a suggestion because once you enter the Atlantic Ocean it's too late.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@RobA, you have convinced @ACrews, we are waiting for you to register!
Ha! I think he found my youtube videos which is what enticed him. Similar to how the Corey videos enticed me.

As you know we got married in September and are building a new house that will be done in April so we have a lot on our plate. On top of that I might be leaving my job of 10 years for a new career so there are lots of uncertainties in my near future. My wife is also interviewing for a promotion outside of her company.

Thanks for the shout out and we'll do our best to join you guys!! Happy new year to my fellow jetboaters!

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice post @MrMoose & I agree with you. For those that are contemplating making the journey, don't let all these post intimidate you away. My wife and 3 year old at the time were passengers on a 21ft boat and while I was on a ski at no time did I fear for their or my safety. Just make sure you're mentally prepared for a little beating, and that your boat is prepared as many have mentioned before. You're boat is capable of taking a lot more then you can, so don't fear its integrity either. It's a great journey and an opportunity to meet great people.

Everybody takes their boat to the lake, but not many across the ocean. It's worth the experience.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm not planning on going, but if I were contemplating on making the trip.....I would bet on this year being a good year to go. I have included a link for some historical backup. With this year becoming a record El Nino year, it should make for quiet Atlantic conditions and a very low chance of a storm brewing and screwing up the trip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Atlantic_hurricane_season
not to hijack this thread...but I don't understand this. I thought El Nino was a bad thing for weather?
https://www.yahoo.com/travel/move-over-el-nino-theres-a-crazy-new-weather-055428372.html

BgTravis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
BgTravis has registered to captain Might as Well with a crew of 4 adults and 0 children. They hail from the home port of Calvert City, KY.

The crew is described as: My wife (Blair) and I (Garett) and our best friends, a navy man (Ken) and his wife that's a nurse (Dava).

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond

Last edited:

MITEASWELL

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SR
Boat Length
@BgTravis I like your boat name. I visit Columbia KY a lot that's where my dad lives and there was a store named Mite as Well. perfect name for our boat and life style.

Defiantly thanking about going with the group to Bimini this year.

Darrell