• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@DieselCamel Hope you and the family are well!! I love the picture. The decks are swamped, you must have just taken a big one over the bow. :)

@waterboy things are great. Hope your family is doing well as well. Yeah I believe that's when we were in a holding pattern after the first boat swamped.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good eye @Bruce! You know, when I look back at the video footage, the seas really don't look very rough. Although I didn't catch any of it on video, it was really amazing watching the back group fly by me in the beautiful and calm turquoise water about 3 miles out from Bimini Sands. It was like something out of Miami Vice (for those of us who are old enough to appreciate that kind of thing).
Once there and settled-in, nothing compared to waking up in the morning and asking my boys "So, where are we going today?", then turning on the VHF radio, and while eating breakfast listening to the various members announce where they were planning on going that day. The boys picked a destination, and within 30 minutes, we were ready to explore paradise. My favorite part was that we could always find a nice spot to anchor and grill some bratwurst for lunch and share the extras with whoever was anchored nearby. I don't expect that I'll ever do a better vacation, except perhaps if I venture further to the Exhumas.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrMoose, we just watched all of your videos and are dreaming about 2016!

We also enjoyed your bratwurst! Can you tell us the secret of where you get them?

That back group that flew by you was running on fumes and doing their best to get into Bimini before they ran out. I bet they were moving!

In 2014 everything in Bimini was new to us. In 2015 we chose between destinations that we wanted to revisit and new places we wanted to try. There still was plenty to do for our 12 day extended trip. After the group left we ventured out for a couple of 20+ mile excursions from Bimini.

You can see where we traveled on this map

image.jpeg

One big new activity for 2016 will be that we found the dolphins after the group left in 2015 and we hope to take the group out to visit them. Perhaps even take some fish to feed them.

image.png

And I don't believe that any of us could tire of hanging out with the rays and nurse sharks in the calm water of Honeymoon Harbor

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Good eye @Bruce! You know, when I look back at the video footage, the seas really don't look very rough. Although I didn't catch any of it on video, it was really amazing watching the back group fly by me in the beautiful and calm turquoise water about 3 miles out from Bimini Sands. It was like something out of Miami Vice (for those of us who are old enough to appreciate that kind of thing).
Once there and settled-in, nothing compared to waking up in the morning and asking my boys "So, where are we going today?", then turning on the VHF radio, and while eating breakfast listening to the various members announce where they were planning on going that day. The boys picked a destination, and within 30 minutes, we were ready to explore paradise. My favorite part was that we could always find a nice spot to anchor and grill some bratwurst for lunch and share the extras with whoever was anchored nearby. I don't expect that I'll ever do a better vacation, except perhaps if I venture further to the Exhumas.
I couldn't agree more one of the best parts of this vacation is truly being able to turn the phone off and relax and really break away from everything. With My job its a 24/7 non stop deal and its awesome to really just take a break and know even if I turned the phone on there is nothing I could really do any way!

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@waterboy, @justason, I am throwing this out there to remind you what the trip is all about. We are looking forward to the adventure, fun and friendship again this year while hoping for smooth water!

As awesome as that video is. And the trip was. I gotta say......The only thing better than country music is LESS country music !!!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As awesome as that video is. And the trip was. I gotta say......The only thing better than country music is LESS country music !!!
Perhaps this is better?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here are some rough water tips. Hopefully others can add to this.

1. Keep your boat above the water and the water below your boat. Our boats have open bows, a bilge pump and limited self bailing capability. Some boat designs allow water to run out almost as fast as it gets in. Ours do not. So staying on plane and avoiding stuffing the bow into waves is important.

2. Move your crew as far back as possible while staying in the cockpit. Your boat is basically hinging on the stern when it goes over a wave. The farther back they are the less impact that they feel.

3. Some small crew members in a lightly loaded boat may wish to lay on one of the side seat cushions while holding on to the nearest handle. The seat cushion will reduce the impact for them.

4. I find it easiest to stand with my legs bent slightly while crossing rough water. That way my leg muscles can take the force of impact. I have the seat bolster up and in place to catch me if I find the waves to be too rough.

5. Make sure that you have the kill switch lanyard on.

6. When the water is rough but not tall enough to come over the bow adding weight to the bow will help to prevent the bow rising which will reduce the impact. Adjustable trim tabs accomplish the same task without the need to shift weight and make it much more convenient to raise or lower the bow.

7. Regardless of speed you will use more fuel in rough water. On a smooth lake our SX230 should get around 3.4 MPG. On the way to Bimini in 2015 we achieved 1.4 MPG. I believe we saw around 1 MPG when we were caught in a 30 MPH cross wind in the Gulf of Mexico. Even on the lightly loaded and relatively calm return trips from Bimini we have experienced around 2.4 MPG. Our boats are most efficient in undisturbed water so you want to avoid running in the water that has been churned up by the boat in front of you for long periods of time.

8. Have everything in your boat secured before you enter rough water. It is much more difficult to secure items when you are bouncing around.

9. If you need to stop decelerate slowly. Coming off plane quickly causes the bow to dip and may result in taking on water. Using reverse will definitely cause your bow to dip.

10. If you get something in your jet(s) continue on until you find an area of smoother water before stopping to clean out your jets. Having seaweed or something else clogging your jet(s) is unfortunate but not nearly as bad as taking on water while your boat is disabled to clean out the jet(s). We experienced a lot of seaweed around Port Everglades in 2015. It was mixed into the waves and often was impossible to avoid. Once we had a jet clogged we gave it a little time to see if it would free itself then we would move to the leeward side of the groups wake and stop when it looked like the big waves had settled for a while. We decelerated slowly and cleaned out the jet(s) as quickly as possible. @Rana and I would each clean out a jet so that we could complete the task in half of the time. After cleaning our jets we would accelerate to a speed that was sufficient to allow us to catch up with the group and move into our previous position. It is important not to have fuel cans or anything else on top of your clean out plug hatch. It would be good to practice this skill before you venture into rough water.

11. When you cross large waves you will hear your jets spinning in the air. This is normal. Many of us have heard it hundreds or thousands of times.

12. If you do get water in your boat stay calm and stay on plane or at minimum keep the bow up. The water will run out through the scupper valve at the stern. Stopping is the worst thing that you can do.

13. Your boat has built in flotation. It is very unlikely to sink. Even when filled with water our boats maintain significant freeboard. If your boat were to become disabled stay in the boat. Your boat is easier for rescuers to locate than individuals who will likely be separated once they are in the water.

Last edited:

chris24

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
chris24 has registered to captain Miss Scarlett with a crew of 4 adults and 0 children. They hail from the home port of Spring Hill, Florida.

The crew is described as: My wife Beth, our nephew Devon and his girlfriend Christy

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond

Last edited:

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Glen has registered to captain Radiant Hope with a crew of 2 adults and 3 children. They hail from the home port of Fredericksburg, VA.

The crew is described as: Me, my Bride and 3 daughters (all with ocean experience).

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
chris24 has registered to captain Miss Scarlett with a crew of 2 adults and 0 children. They hail from the home port of Spring Hill, Florida.

The crew is described as: My wife Beth
chris24 has registered to captain Miss Scarlett with a crew of 2 adults and 0 children. They hail from the home port of Spring Hill, Florida.

The crew is described as: My wife Beth

@chris24, we're not signed up yet, but I thought that I should let you know that we really enjoyed meeting you and your wife last year. You followed us for a good portion of the ride to Bimini, and I recall my boys getting excited as you sent out a "yahoo!" kind of a shout as you jumped your boat out of the water at some point. They thought that it was pretty cool.

Last edited:

BgTravis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
This thread is the only thing getting me through this winter. Look at the boat dock. Obviously, we have had a lot of rain. #kentuckylake

Attachments

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@MrMoose, we ventured south of Cat Cay to the Victory Reefs for snorkeling. The water was so clear that we could see coral while standing in the boat in 50 feet of water. Then we went fishing at Tuna Alley using oat and oil based chum and caught more than 4 family meals worth of large snapper and trigger in perhaps 45 minutes. We still have some in the freezer.

When we ventured to the East we found the wreck of the Hesperus in less than 20' of water. We observed her from the boat but there were too many barracuda and sharks for us to get in the water. It would be a great place for anyone that wants to catch barracuda. Afterward we spent some time on the huge beach on the East side of North Bimini. It is many miles long and not developed at all. It has plenty of conch and shells. The water is very shallow for perhaps 100 yards.

The Dolphins hang out North of the North Light. We have GPS coordinates for where we found them and believe we will be able to take the group to see them this year.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We also spent a fun day running around North Bimini in a rented golf cart and had a private tour of Dolphin House.