• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

BgTravis

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@MITEASWELL, that's what we said when we bought the boat...
Like your name too!

We weren't looking to buy a boat, really. We had a boat that suited us just fine. I heard about the Yamahas and we drove down to our local Yamaha dealer to check them out. My wife walked around to see the back of the boat, looked at me, and said, "SOLD." Next thing we know, they are rolling our boat off of the showroom floor. When asked why we bought a new boat, we said "might as well." After that, it stuck.

Hope you can make the trip! We are looking forward to it. We have been planning for this since we found out about it last May. It's definitely going to be an exciting trip. I can't wait to meet everyone.

We are on the other side of the state near Land Between the Lakes in western Kentucky. Your dad lives in a beauftiful part of the state!

Augusto David Rodriguez

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Augusto David Rodriguez has registered to captain Per-Diem with a crew of 2 adults and 2 children. They hail from the home port of williamsburg, Va.

The crew is described as: daughter(15) and son(7)

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ladies and Gentlemen,

So far what I have learned is that they are fully booked June 10 to 13. I hoped that was the Boston Whaler group but it is not.
@Bruce I spoke to a friend and apparently there are a group of 75 skis that plan to go across during the 10-13th dates so that's who has those days booked up. I wont lie that's a lot of skis going that is not a group I would want to cross with lol the logistics on that have to be insane.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
DieselCamel has registered to captain farfrumwerkn with a crew of 2 adults and children. They hail from the home port of Winston-Salem, NC.

The crew is described as: Crew is to be determined depending on dates

You can register for the event using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@DieselCamel Hope you and the family are well!! I love the picture. The decks are swamped, you must have just taken a big one over the bow. :)

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just found this on THT... from an owner at Bimini Sands
Last year the bugs were pretty non-existant

Mosquitos and noseeums
Sure... We brought in a expert. It turns out you need to change up the chemicals used, they become immune if you keep using the same stuff. Previous management used the same stuff for 15 years. We just approved our budgets and it it is daily 2x a day spraying. You need to attack them where they live during the day. In the trees and bushes. We did a test this past summer and elimnated them during the month of July. That program will be initiated beginning march 1

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@tim h Yeah bugs were non-existent last year.

You must have missed it last year. They actually have a truck going around spraying the fogger like when we were kids. Jeff and I hijacked a couple of bikes and followed the truck around riding in the fog. Brought back memories of when I was a kid, and killed a few more brain cells too in the process. :D :D :D

Jr15g

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
@Nathan_85 Don't forget about the awesome F-150:winkingthumbsup".

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
JROD has registered to captain Enterprise 1 with a crew of 1 adults and 0 children. They hail from the home port of Oak Island, NC.

The crew is described as: I will be riding jet ski by myself, but my wife Trudy will join me in Bimini.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have added a registrant list and lots of new info to the first post of this thread.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Nathan_85

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Guys i found this video... Just to pump everyone up!

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Bimini has always been a loosely organized event with group crossings to and from and one or more group activities while in Bimini. This Gathering was pioneered by @upperdeck, @andy07sx230ho and, I believe, three other boats five trips ago. We owe those pioneers a debt of gratitude for paving the way for us.

Many requests have been made for a date for this years Bimini Fling. To set those dates we need to determine how long we want to go, when lodging is available and what date ranges are good for the participants. In 2014 we arrived just after the Boston Whaler group had emptied the island of supplies including fuel and were invaded by a much larger Guy Harvey group at the end of our stay. In 2015 we were able to time our trip to avoid these inconveniences.

The Registrants so far are;

Propless captained by @Bruce from The Sandbar, Arkansas with 2 Adults and 2 Children
Crews Control captained by @ACrews from Nahunta, GA with 2 Adults and 0 Children
Yes captained by @veedubtek from Winston Salem, NC with 2 Adults and 0 Children
Per-Diem captained by @Augusto David Rodriguez from Williamsburg, VA with 2 Adults and 2 Children
What Now What Next captained by @andy07sx230ho from Chapin, SC with 1 Adults and 0 Children
YamaDog captained by ThatJeepGuy from Brooksville, FL with 3 Adults and 0 Children
La Yankee captained by @Jr15g from Williamsburg, VA with 4 Adults and 0 Children
Geraldine captained by @zedxmike from WINTER GARDEN, FL with 4 Adults and 0 Children
Indian Princess captained by @shane hric from Hobart, IN with 5 Adults and 1 Children
Might as Well captained by @BgTravis from Calvert City, KY with 4 Adults and 0 Children
FarFrumWerkn captained by @DieselCamel from Winston-Salem, NC with 2 Adults and 0 Children
Enterprise 1 captained by @JROD from Oak Island, NC with 2 Adults and 0 Children

You can register using the form at https://jetboaters.net/forms/bimini-2016-registration.6/respond . The registration process includes an opportunity to vote for the length of trip. So far the traditional Monday to Saturday trip is leading in the polls.

Completing the form will also create a new post with a little info about your boat and crew. This linked post is an example #31

I have contacted Bimini Sands who have agreed to extend a discount to our group again this year. The amount of discount will depend on how many participants that we have but I am pushing for the same 15% that we had last year.

I am also working with Bimini Sands to identify potential dates. So far what I have learned is that they are fully booked June 10-13. @robert843 was able to determine that is a group of 75 skis. The big unknown at this point is when the Boston Whaler group will be in Bimini. We need to avoid their dates and the week after. In 2014 we arrived a few days after they left. They had consumed all the fuel, supplies, resteraunts and fish in the area. The lack of fuel limited our activities for the first two days of our trip. The skies are unlikely to consume all of the fuel so we could plan for the Monday after their trip. I will report back as soon as I am able to determine the dates of the Whaler trip. Once we know their dates I will post a poll to choose the date for our trip.

Saying that we need to get some things out of the way up front....

The Bimini Crossing is more than 50 miles in length, crosses The Gulf Stream and is in The Bermuda Triangle. The weather for the crossing is unpredictable and can change rapidly. We have no idea what the weather will hold when we pick dates six months in advance. There is a real possibility of damaging or losing your boat on the crossing. Two Jet Boaters were swamped and disabled during the 2015 crossing. It is possible that lives could be lost. Two experienced young men lost their lives last July. If your boat is disabled during the trip the cost to tow, salvage or repair your boat could be more than you planned to spend on the entire trip

There is added safety in numbers when we cross as a group. But as the Captain you are responsible for your boat and crew. Any boat or crew member that is not prepared to pound waves for six hours to spend a week in paradise should not attempt the trip. You need to have quality flotation, signaling, navigation and communications equipment on your boat. Boats should not be overloaded. For me that means that I would not want to transport anyone beyond my family of four to Bimini. All boats need to carry sufficient fuel to reach Bimini with a reasonable reserve. For most of our boats that is simply a full tank but for 192s that is perhaps an extra 25 gallons. All boats should maintain sufficient speed to keep up with the group. At minimum that speed will be planing speed. In decent water our speed will be around 30 MPH at which our boats are most efficient. All cargo in your boat needs to be secured. Any heavy cargo in the bow area needs to be secured in such a way that it can be quickly moved backward. All crew should be seated in the cockpit area with the windscreen passage closed.

Moving on to the fun stuff......

Bimini is an amazing place. My families trips there have been the most relaxing and enjoyable vacations that we have ever had. It is something that you will talk about all year long and be counting the days until you can go back again. The experience is similar to camping in a condo with the most amazing scenery and wildlife that you could imagine. You will want to bring everything that you need for the entire trip but also pack light. It is an adventure and will test your boating, navigational, communication, planning, camping, cooking and survival skills. It is a great learning opportunity for my children. You can find lots of info about the location and trip in the Preparing For Bimini Thread https://jetboaters.net/threads/preparing-for-bimini.3800/ .

And now the organizational......

2015 was the biggest JetBoaters group to ever go to Bimini. We experienced much larger water than was forecast. Due to the water conditions we experienced two unexpected issues during the crossing to Bimini. Initially we had two boats that were swamped and had to be towed back into Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale). After refueling we set off again and were able to avoid the swamping problem by avoiding stopping but by that point we were nervous about water conditions and the entire group slowed to speeds that were not compatible with arriving in Bimini with the fuel onboard.

When we leave Port Everglades many Captains and Crew in our group will be entering the ocean for the first time. I have been there and understand that experience. Our boats are capable of way more than our bodies and minds are. For example;

View attachment 31934

Knowing that my boat and family had been in rougher water in the Gulf helped enormously with our 2015 crossing.

For 2016 I want to make changes that I believe will address past issues;

1. Focusing on the responsibility of individual Captains for their boat, equipment, crew, cargo, fuel and crossing.

a. Boat - our boats need to be in optimal condition. Everything on the boat needs to be tested. I would recommend having a free US Coast Guard Vessel Safety Check and will do so myself.

b. Equipment - at a very minimum you need to add a handheld VHF and flares. Even though you are crossing in a group you may venture out on your own once in Bimini. Please consider what safety equipment you will have. In 2014 we added Type 1 Life Vests, a fixed VHF radio (up to 20 mile range), two handheld VHF radios (up to 5 mile range), a chart plotter for navigation with a tablet for backup and a second bilge pump. In 2015 planning for a single boar return crossing we added a Delorme inReach satellite tracker and messaging device.

c. Crew - if any of your crew has back or medical issues it would be a good idea to fly them over. On the relatively smooth return portion of the 2015 Fling an experienced Captain hit a rogue wave and suffered a back injury. There is plenty of fun to be had once we get to Bimini. If they are not suited for a long rough crossing of pounding waves please fly them over. I have been in the drivers seat with a screaming passenger where I had to make the decision to ignore that passenger rather than take on water. I would prefer not to experience that again.

d. Cargo - In 2014 we had much better water than 2015 but we had a number of stops to secure cargo. We pack our boat so that the only cargo that is not inside of storage areas is limited to ice chest(s) and an inflatable SUP in the bow. Everything else is inside a door or under a seat. The ice chests are secured so that they can be easily moved into the cockpit without needing to stop the boat. If you have other cargo outside of the storage areas your boat is likely too heavy. If you have to stop to secure cargo in good water you impeding the progress of the group, in rough water you are creating risk for your boat and any others that stop with you.

e. Fuel - Any four stroke Yamaha except for a 192 should be able to cross with the fuel in the tank. Many members have done this for years. Even though his crew were the saints at the back of the pack taking care of the slower boats during the 2015 crossing @andy07sx230ho's SX230 made it to Bimini without refueling. In comparison I accelerated to planing speeds around the 20 mile mark and burned 38 gallons with my family, two weeks of food and ham for the group in our SX230. My perspective is that carrying fuel cans increases your boats weight and fuel consumption. It is your decision if you want to carry extra fuel. If you do please do not place the fuel cans where they make clean out ports difficult to use.

f. Crossing - It is your decision if you want to take your boat out of Port Everglades and attempt the crossing. I am sure that we will all be monitoring the weather and wave forecasts but we learned in 2015 that the forecast may be wrong. If you do venture out of Port Everglades it is your responsibility to get your crew safely to Bimini or return them to Port Everglades. If you experience difficulties other boats will attempt to help but in conditions such as those experienced in 2015 there is very little that another boat of our size and type can do. If you do take on water please keep your crew on your boat. Last year a crew member was injured exiting the stern of a swamped boat. Once in the water your crew will be moving at an average of 4 mph in the Gulf Stream. It is much safer to stay in the boat and wait for rescue. You need to monitor your fuel consumption. If fuel consumption becomes an issue you need to travel at a more efficient speed.

2. Splitting into smaller groups departing at ten minute intervals. The most experienced boaters making the crossing will each lead a small group of four to six boats. I believe this addresses several potential issues;

a. Inaccurate Forecasts - the first group will be several miles out of Port Everglades before the second group exits the port. This lead group will report back about the water conditions. This will avoid the other groups being surprised.

b. Leadership - Each member of the small group will have a leader running immediately ahead. They will be able to see how the leader is taking the waves. This should allow members of the group to emulate the leader and have confidence that they also can handle the upcoming waves.

c. Stopping - each group will handle any issues that occur within that group. If a boat needs to stop the others in the group will either circle or stop depending on the conditions.

d. Communications - it is difficult to hear radio calls with all of the water, wind and engine noise. Each group will use a specific VHF frequency for the group. That way any call on that frequency will be relevant.

e. Observation - After we exit Port Everglades the group members should fan out into a line running beside each other at safe, perhaps 100', intervals at a safe distance behind the leader. This will allow a spotter from the lead boat to observe all of the boats in that group.

3. We will not have tail. In past years a specific boat has volunteered to be the last and watch for any boats to fall behind. It is unreasonable to ask any boat to take this position. In 2015 the tail spent hours of extra time suffering through rough and dangerous waves. We will not need a tail with small groups that stay together. Our leaders will not travel at unsafe speeds or above the speed that the slowest boat in his group is capable of. Unless the water is very smooth this will be a top speed of 25 to 30 mph. It is the responsibility of the individual Captains to keep up with their leader.

Tagging those that have expressed interest; @Chris-MS, @MrMoose, @Mike Coultas, @sstegh, @swatski, @swatski, @shane hric, @Greg M, @Glen, @Augusto David Rodriguez, @Jr15g, @blacksapphirez, @robert843, @2nazt, @Bimini
@Bruce, well done!

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Shit happens, I have had worse experiences in life, I learn from them and move on.. gimme a few years to calm my insurance agent down from the $35K payout and I will be back to do it again...
@kthrash, EXACTLY! I can't wait to join you! It takes guts to learn the tough lessons, share with others as U, very eloquently, have done! I have no doubt U'll be back at it again. All the best!

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
Lots was learned in the 2015 crossing, and future crossings will benefit from the experience. Hindsight is 20/20. It is my opinion that the group leaders did the best job possible in assisting newbies such as myself in preparing for the crossing. I trusted them then, and I still trust them now. I would not have attempted this amazing experience if it were not for this forum and those within it who prepared and guided the group.
One thing that was not mentioned was that the leaders changed tactics for the second attempt, which was to minimize the choppiness by following in single file. Good idea, but many boats ended up following too closely and it kind of became a stop n go traffic jam; well not actually full stop, but many times too slow to keep the bow up, and definitely too slow to get reasonable fuel mileage. One benefit of the single file formation is that I could see when a big wave was coming by how the boat ahead of me reacted. As conditions changed, the experienced captains in the group found better ways to go about things, and in some cases, they broke from the group and went on their own. I wanted to join them, but the last instructions that I received as part of the group were to stick together in single-file and to keep an eye on the boat behind me; so that's what I did. It was good advice because the boat behind me ran out of gas about 5 miles out; I had packed extra fuel, and the seas were calm, so it was no big deal to circle back to help them. And to give you an idea of the kind of people they are, while I was at the airport getting through customs, they went to my boat, retrieved the empty gas can and filled it up. Very nice.
In crossing, I was part of the front group that was proceeding in the single-file formation. After transferring 5 gallons to the boat behind me, I carried on to the final destination at planing speed. The 19 footer that has been referred to in the previous posts (the one that was going too slow, and that needed to borrow gas a couple of times... the one who's marriage either got stronger or ended in divorce because of the event) actually beat me to Bimini Sands, so in my opinion they weren't that far behind the front group. In my opinion, my front group was going too slow. My 2015 AR240 has a range of over 130 miles in nice seas. My low fuel alarm started going off about 8 miles out. I ran at 0% fuel (according to Connext) for the last 2 or 3 miles. I wasn't worried because I still had extra fuel on board, but I was curious to see whether my boat had enough fuel to make the trip by pushing water all of the way; it did.
Lastly, I don't really want to stir things up with @rollosan and @upperdeck, but I think that it's important to recognize that I think that both have the same goodwilled intentions, which is to make the next crossing preparation and tactics more robust than the previous one. I get where @upperdeck is coming from (don't intentionally put your boat or other's at risk), and I get where @rollosan is coming from in that you always assist a boat in need especially if they are part of your group. My opinion is that they are both right, but @rollosan, if you had the chance to meet @upperdeck, you would know that "coward" is a word that should not be associated with him, and that knowing so, an apology to him would be the right thing to do later on when things have cooled down.
I don't think that the Jetboaters Bimini crossing should become a case to demonstrate natural selection. I don't think that it's possible to screen all of the captains who want to join. I do think that preparation and tactics will be improved based on the 2015 crossing. I think that it is vitally important for any captain who decides to join the crossing to understand that their vessel and crew are their primary responsibility, and that it is their responsibility to prepare accordingly. All that being said, the 2015 conditions were a new experience for the Jetboaters group. Sure, some captains were better prepared than others, but no captain embarked on the crossing knowing that they were ill-prepared.
I trust that the forum leaders will do their best to help everybody prepare for the trip, but don't go on the trip if you are not fully prepared.
@MrMoose , bloody outstanding post!