• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As @Bruce just said it will rain while you are there but I doubght there will be many wash out days. Rain in locations like this are usually gone quick. It may rain for 20 minutes then be sunny then a few hours later it may rain for 20 minutes again. The return crossing maybe rough but it's only 60 miles you just may have to pick your window of when to leave based on weather and it may not be on the scheduled Saturday you may want to leave early if you get a window you comfortable with. The end of the week right now it looks like things may calm down a little but way to far out to accurately predict. The one thing I would say to all if your not comfortable getting rained on and/or riding in rough water do your self a favor and make other plans and skip it. For those who are good with that stuff if Sunday holds go and enjoy yourselves you will have fun. I really can't stress enough though if people in your crew or you get upset or winey at all while on the lake if it is a choppy or a quick rain storm rolls through this is not your week to go and plan for next year as I promise you will not have a good time an upset wife or girl friend or kid can kill your trip fast. For those who deal well with those conditions you will be good and you may get more sun then you think but it will likely be choppy a few days over there. One good thing about that is a lot of the spots maybe slower then normal so you may get a better shot to enjoy them.

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How many boats in total are still in for Sunday?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like your window for departure is narrow, it will be absolutely critical that all boats be grouped and ready to run at the predetermined time. Waiting for late comers only puts the entire group at risk.

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There won't be any possibility of leaving after the 25th correct? I have some in my group that have to head home that day.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There won't be any possibility of leaving after the 25th correct? I have some in my group that have to head home that day.
Anything is possible. Worst case is they could fly back over though.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The longesg wave forecast is sketchy and just started to show Saturday. What I currently have suggests that the waves will be reducing but still give us a battle going home. Anyone who must head home the 25th should be prepared to fly home. But I do not believe the conditions will improve significantly in the following week.

Anyone who is not absolutely certain that they want to go should stay home. Our window on Sunday is narrow. We will need to complete the crossing in 3 hours and will run a minimum of 20 mph regardless of seas.

This is the beginning of Saturday's forecast

image.png

@Murf'n'surf, how do you feel about that forecast?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It'll be nice to have the wind at your back but it's just too early to predict the wave heights. 72 hours out is your earliest solid prediction.

From what is shown on that forecast, the return will likely be moderately rough but not impassable.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree going with the wind and waves will not be that bad. Last year on our return I would say it was around 2 ft and we did 35mph the whole way since we were going with the wind and waves.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a shame you guys didn't leave this past Monday/Tuesday, I was off the coast of Miami running sea trials and it was beautiful out there.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's a shame you guys didn't leave this past Monday/Tuesday, I was off the coast of Miami running sea trials and it was beautiful out there.
Bimini was full of Whalers!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The longesg wave forecast is sketchy and just started to show Saturday. What I currently have suggests that the waves will be reducing but still give us a battle going home. Anyone who must head home the 25th should be prepared to fly home. But I do not believe the conditions will improve significantly in the following week.

Anyone who is not absolutely certain that they want to go should stay home. Our window on Sunday is narrow. We will need to complete the crossing in 3 hours and will run a minimum of 20 mph regardless of seas.

This is the beginning of Saturday's forecast

View attachment 39352

@Murf'n'surf, how do you feel about that forecast?
I'm sure you guys will have a meeting before you leave to get a good game plan, but I'm just curious from the outside looking in. What happens when a boat or boats have a problem on the crossing? With such a narrow window at a relatively quick pace, how are y'all going to handle a problem? The only thing I can think of is the buddy system. That way if one boat has a problem then only one other boat is held up to assist. ????

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm sure you guys will have a meeting before you leave to get a good game plan, but I'm just curious from the outside looking in. What happens when a boat or boats have a problem on the crossing? With such a narrow window at a relatively quick pace, how are y'all going to handle a problem? The only thing I can think of is the buddy system. That way if one boat has a problem then only one other boat is held up to assist. ????
Unless they are close to one of the ends they are screwed. They simply have to get on another boat and complete the crossing. They lose their boat and their stuff. The "window" is 1.4' seas. Later in the day they will reach over 6'.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I must be feeling optimistic

image.jpeg

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Unless they are close to one of the ends they are screwed. They simply have to get on another boat and complete the crossing. They lose their boat and their stuff. The "window" is 1.4' seas. Later in the day they will reach over 6'.
Hmmmm. That really puts the levity of this crossing in perspective.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hmmmm. That really puts the levity of this crossing in perspective.
Yes it does but the reality is that is one boat is in big trouble if another stops that boat could become in trouble as well and it spirals from there. Dont get me wrong as mentioned no one would be left just sitting int the middle of the ocean on a disabled boat by themselves but I would never make this trip expecting that my boat or vessel would be a priority saving lives first then if its realistic to save property great if not its a loss. That is the risk you take.

Manchild

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I cannot make an early Sunday crossing so I'm out and will be finalizing my plan B for Destin. I'll hopefully save my Bimini Sand's deposit for next year. Good luck, safe passage and have fun everyone whatever you decide to do.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well. I want to go as bad as anyone but if i knew how to calculate more than a 10% chanceof losing the boat I'd stay close to shore. Ooof. I think I've already driven farther than 90%!of us. :jimlad:

1740 miles so far.

Last edited: