• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sunday is recipe for inexperienced boaters dying out there.

Quoting my earlier post "Sunday looks like a trap to me. You head out in water worse than the 2015 crossing forecast. If you can go 20 to 25 you will probably be ok. But if you take longer you end up in water that is more than twice the size that you started in. "
If it was me I would have no issues crossing on Sunday based on this forecast I should be there by 9 or 10 am but once again that is just me by no means should anyone take that as a sign to depart. Tuesday is also a day if the forecast held I would go but everyone has to make their own safe choice as what is good for me probably is not good for you lol. I have many years of offshore experience and I will be honest that Monday if the forecast holds is a day I would not leave in our boats. Biggest issue I still see is return I have yet to see a forecast for return I would cross back in so if I did leave one of those days it would be under the full intent knowing I may have to fly back and come get my boat on a time when weather permitted. Please only take this as an opinion not a guarantee of safe passage by any means. For anyone in a boat smaller than 23 ft or intending to carry more people than can fit behind the windshield I probably would not cross any of the conditions that are predicted this week I was in that case I would start looking at other plans now.

image.png image.png

Augusto David Rodriguez

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Im in the middle of my relocation from VA to florida but my boat is already in St agustine,Fl, My family and I ready for plan B as well,
I have friends to have been in clearwater and the keys! so we are interested in plan B too!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There has been a lot of change in the forecast today. It is likely that we will continue to see change as we get closer to Monday. Currently Sunday and Tuesday's forecasts have improved but Monday continues to be brutal.

The other key factor that we will learn as the week progresses is the forecast for the return.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm all up for leaving on time....I mean you all have seen Gilligan's Island right....lol...anyone got a mary ann and ginger ...they can ride with me! :winkingthumbsup"

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Based on the latest wave forecast, https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/south_bimini, if I could I would leave on Sunday instead of Monday.
Looking at SailFlow, Passage Weather and Buoy Weather Sunday afternoon's conditions have improved while Monday has reduced to 4' waves but at much tighter spacing and Tuesday they lose a few inches but maintain the tight spacing. You could cross on Sunday. I would worry about having a place to stay, what the conditions would be while you are there and when there will be w break in the weather to come home.

Last edited:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Adding to that, the forecast is quite fluid at this point. I might make plans to be in Fort Lauderdale and ready to cross on Sunday but I think I would hold off on extending reservations in Bimini. The calm water could easily move to Saturday or Monday. I am still hoping for Monday!

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
FYI - Bimini Ferry out of Miami no longer in service.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The ferry went out of business in January. Flying is the only alternative to boating.
yup....and $488 per person, if we don't boat I will save for our next chance!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How many could make a Sunday crossing? If the forecast holds it would be an easy crossing. Getting back and how enjoyable the time there would be are the questions.

I called the Hilton at Resort's World and they have more than 20 rooms available for the 19th.

The forecast is quite fluid at this time so I do not want anyone to think this is a solid plan but it is a possibility.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How many could make a Sunday crossing? If the forecast holds it would be an easy crossing. Getting back and how enjoyable the time there would be are the questions.

I called the Hilton at Resort's World and they have more than 20 rooms available for the 19th.

The forecast is quite fluid at this time so I do not want anyone to think this is a solid plan but it is a possibility.
do-able.....but we get there late Saturday night. What time you thinking Sunday, early? So we would all launch and head right out Sunday AM?

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe that Harbortowne launch is open 24/7. That would make a launch and go plan easy for Sunday AM

SFThoen

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

We could do a Sunday crossing.

zedxmike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry to be a buz kill but I am stuck with Monday depart due to work schedule. that is if the weather gets better