• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am not on the list to go this year, but here is what I think needs to happen...

As Andy said, it's weather forecasting. Give this time to develop. The whole trip may not get cancelled until Friday or Saturday if the weather holds out firm. But... Every Captain needs to make their own decision what is best for their crew. Some may decide to cancel now. I get it and respect that decision. Others may decide to make the trip and cancel on Sunday, and divert to other waters.

There is a Captain meeting the evening before, every year, for this reason. Is it safe to cross??? That decision is always made 12 hours before departure.

For the sake of discussion, if Bruce decides to cancel and divert his family vacation elsewhere, does that mean the whole trip is cancelled??? No it doesn't, but the group has lost some valuable experience.

Go back to page 1 of this thread and the discussion on last years trip, it is each Captain decision to decide what is best for them.

Good luck and still praying the weather guessers are wrong.

Majorsmackdown

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't let it stop you. If once you get to Fort Lauderdale and the trip is cancelled or postponed, there is plenty of boating and sightseeing around south Florida to keep you busy. I know that is not ideal but it would be a shame if you didn't come and the weather got better and you missed out.
I certainly don't know my way around FL but have always wanted to go boating there. Anyone want to join me in a plan B excursion if weather fouls the Bimini plans ?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I remain an optimist.
Call me simple minded, but that is how I see our crossing:

upload_2016-6-13_10-58-17.png

--

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I certainly don't know my way around FL but have always wanted to go boating there. Anyone want to join me in a plan B excursion if weather fouls the Bimini plans ?
Hopefully plan B group discussion won't be need at the captains meeting.

chris24

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
No, I don't....I live in Florida..I'm trying to go on vacation. Not stay home. :)Sucks being me.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Plus trying to get the Sands to accommodate that many people a day early could be an issue.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
why we won't cross on Sunday! I think is weather and waves shows better conditions i would like to cross it
Any takers?
Sunday looks like a trap to me. You head out in water worse than the 2015 crossing forecast. If you can go 20 to 25 you will probably be ok. But if you take longer you end up in water that is more than twice the size that you started in.

image.jpeg

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looking at weather forecasts for "Plan B"... On the gulf side, and even into Orlando, Thunderstorms seems to be the theme for every day except the 20th and the 21st.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I sure hope the weather holds for you guys.......I know this situation would have me at Defcon 1 on the worry wart scale! Make sure your GoPro's are nicely charged!!! Looking forward to some exciting crossing videos!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At this point I am continuing to make preparations to go. But I do believe there is more than a 50% chance that the forecast will remain incompatible with our boats crossing. @MrMoose needs to make the go / no go decision for his family very early Thursday morning. My family will decide Friday morning.

Regardless of whether we could make it or not I would not want to ask my family to make a rough, sea sickening and dangerous crossing to have five days of crappy weather in Bimini then if the forecast stays the same face an almost impossible crossing against 5' waves back to the US.

Safety of the group is one of by biggest concerns followed closely by would it be an enjoyable trip. Last year our biggest water was right at Port Everglades. Fortunately the swampings occurred there where assistance was almost immediately available. With this forecast we would be facing worse conditions for the entire crossing. If any of us take a wave poorly and swamp our boats away from shore rescue will be far away and our ability to see anyone in the water or even a boat will be restricted by the 5 foot tall walls of water around us. We have a risk of boats that stop being crashed into from behind. If someone was in the water and we were searching for them there is a legitimate risk of cresting over a wave and hitting them on the way down.

I have been talking with more experienced boaters to get their opinions on the conditions. I had a good call with @upperdeck this morning and very much appreciate his advice.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's a sad reality, but at this point, Bimini and most of Florida from what I can tell, is forcasting really unsettled weather right now. Not the kind of weather that would be conducive to an enjoyable and safe vacation in our jet boats. ... unless you are @ClemsonTiger catching fish...

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi All,

Silly question here. Have been trying to convince the wife to do a crossing to Bimini. She is nervous about the recent uptick in crime on the islands. Anybody ever felt unsafe when they were with their families there? Have heard some unpleasant stories about rented golf carts getting stolen....even some hold ups. Thanks.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi All,

Silly question here. Have been trying to convince the wife to do a crossing to Bimini. She is nervous about the recent uptick in crime on the islands. Anybody ever felt unsafe when they were with their families there? Have heard some unpleasant stories about rented golf carts getting stolen....even some hold ups. Thanks.
Not even when the guy carrying a machete hugged me. Well maybe a little then.

I am not aware of anyone in any of our crossings having any run in with any criminal activity .

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plan B can always be to fly over if you already got the room booked and rent a boat while their.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi All,

I've been there 4 times and have never once felt threatened on the water or on the land or had anyone in our group have issues that I'm aware of. Sure it can happen anywhere but I feel safer in and around Bimini than I do in most inner cities.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
why we won't cross on Sunday! I think is weather and waves shows better conditions i would like to cross it
Any takers?
I will quote the first part of the original post on the first page "Bimini has always been a loosely organized event with group crossing" for those who are hell bent on crossing and want to cross on Sunday or a different day dont feel obligated to stick with the pack. IF there are several who want to cross on Sunday or another day get together make reservations and do so. Now I do say all this with caution as well and make sure if you decide to cross a different day you do not do so by yourself and that your group has all the saftey equipment you guys need for the crossing. Experience, boat size and family comfort ability should all be thought about in that choice as well if you have crew that complains when its rough on the lake you may not want to cross with them. Once again I'm not saying that anyone should or should not cross but just saying the only person who can truly make that choice is you. I will admit I would probably not cross in 6ft seas on my sx240 that just sounds miserable I would be picking another day to leave even if I only got a couple of days in Bimini or I would just fly over any way its only 30-45 minute flight.