• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@MrMoose

Did you take water over the bow last year ? Did it get into your ski locker?
Yes we did. One big wave swooshed the flip flops from the bow to the back of the cockpit, and I also caught a small wave when I cut the throttles too quickly when we stopped halfway. Some water did find its way into the ski locker.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The initial forecast looks pretty terrible. We will be watching this closely with hopes that it improves.

image.png

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hope and pray it gets better for you guys!

We had 2-3 footers on lake Michigan yesterday and decided to half loop it. It could have been done bit with kids not so much fun. With 5-6 for what, 2.5 hours? Ihck

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
hearing you guys talk about the ski racks and the hull failure these guys had, I have to ask, @veedubtek ( and I will copy @robert843 ) it looks like the rack you have on your from the picture i saw at Falls Lake, it that it has legs on it that force a point load rather than being spread out if it had a base on it. Any kind of point load and 10 hours of pounding will breach the hull, I don;t care how thick it is. If the rack had a base across the entire back to spread out that load I would have to think it would hold up much better. And then of course, it has to be down tight enough to prevent pounding too...

Just my thoughts, looking at a a grainy picture from your day at Falls Lake and not actually seeing the racks you guys have. I may be totally off but wanted to add that to the picture..

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
wow, weather report sucks... it has been a weird June for weather this year. Praying that report does not hold up.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce let's jus use this one. It makes me feel better. Lol.View attachment 39077
The forecast for the beach is smaller than out in the ocean.

This is 16 hours before our planned crossing

image.jpeg

Four hours before
image.jpeg

And 8 hours after

image.jpeg

The wave height is in meters. That light blue section between Fort Lauderdale and Bimini is 3 to 6 footers headed to the south. If this forecast holds we would be rolling sideways over big waves for the entire crossing. With the waves and Gulf Stream headed in opposite directions I assume the waves will get pretty messy.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SYNOPSIS

SEAS WILL BE BENIGN FOR THE MAJORITY OF THE WEEK, WITH SHOWERS
AND THUNDERSTORMS POSSIBLE EACH DAY. AN APPROACHING FRONTAL
SYSTEM WILL INCREASE THE WIND OUT OF THE WEST BY FRIDAY
, CAUSING
SEAS TO BUILD, ESPECIALLY IN THE GULF, UP TO 4 FEET.

This is actually good news for your crossing...West wind should calm the Atlantic...provide minimal to zero waves. Emphasis on the word should, stranger things have occured and its impossible to predict.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS52.KMFL.html
Unfortunately most of us were planning to cross on Monday the 20th. By that time this weeks calm switches to 5 footers headed south at 10 second dominant periods hitting us in the side.

Would you go out in those conditions?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ugh.. Good luck all of you. State Farm covered my loss last year if anyone is still needing insurance..

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We are fortunate to have someone like you @ClemsonTiger , local and an avid fisherman, that is on the water often and has an idea of what it may be like out there...

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How would your larger and not jet boat handle those predicted conditions @tim h ?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it doable, yes. Would it give me pause, yes. If I had traveled here, paid for the hotel and other expenses and my vacation was at risk...would I attempt it, yes.
If you were a new ocean boater, had never made such a crossing, had not yet left home and your condo deposit could be transferred to a later stay would you go?

I agree that the 10 second dominant periods make the waves a little more manageable but we are talking about 58 miles of rocking back and forth with 5 foot waves hitting us in the side.

Then once we get there the forecast is windy and rainy for the entire stay.

If we do go in a similar forecast I have thought about heading to Boca Raton via the intercoastal to refuel then make the crossing with a little more angle on the waves.

I am hoping the forecast improves.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just Fine. As long as they were organized and not like a washing machine.
I've been in larger waves with a shorter period. Wasn't a lot of fun, I just didn't get in a hurry. They were organized, just bigger than anyone would like.
With that forecast I'd like to see the waves before cancelling, but that just me (and my boat) with the experience that I have to date...

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Bruce makes a very valid point.
Change course to give yourself a more desirable ride, then change your course back as you get closer...

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you were a new ocean boater, had never made such a crossing, had not yet left home and your condo deposit could be transferred to a later stay would you go?
I've been lurking here for a while and want to throw my $0.02 in

Those of you that require re-fueling in the middle of the crossing I hope have a solid water tight solution. Not sure the range on the jetski's but that sounds like a HUGE threat. Should a towing situation arise ...hard decision will need to be made.

As for the decision to go or not go.......The distance you drove, prep-work, and cash spent SHOULD NOT be a factor in determining if you make this crossing !!! The decision has to be based on safety and experience....
Have a PLAN B destination.

The crossing is part of the experience and the excitement of this incredible trip. That said, the first time I made this trip it was aggressive "lake chop" conditions all week once at Bimini ...Wore my a$$ out ...every trip out or journey out was a spanking......not a complaint, but understand it can be a chore....(effects wife's mood too)......My skeleton hurt when it was all set/done.

good luck to all, be smart, be safe

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You and your passengers safety should be the only deciding factor in making this crossing, everyone has heard my tale, but I can promise you, when I attempt to go again, it will not be on a scheduled day, it will be on a day that the seas are calm, even if I have to sit at the Bahia Mar for a week waiting. Boats and stuff can be replaced, but when you see 7 of your loved ones having to jump ship scared out of their minds you tend to rethink things.