• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoaters.net Bimini Fling June 19 to 25 2016

ACrews

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm ok with doing whatever the majority would like to do. All I need to know is if I need to take barf bags for the ride over. Lol. Definitely not trying to add pressure for someone to make a decision, but have a feeling @Majorsmackdown is gonna have to be hitting the road sooner than the rest of us.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having done the Bimini trip last year, and loving it more than any other vacation I've ever taken, I will consider a safe rough crossing if the Bimini forecast looks good. Right now, as @Bruce pointed out, it looks bad. 50 to 60 percent chance of daytime rain, scattered thunderstorms, every day. If this forecast does not significantly improve, it would not be worthwhile doing the trip from a safety and quality perspective.
@justason wisely pointed out the risk of refueling for the jet skis. I think that there is just as much (or greater) risk of refueling for the jet boats if the waves are big. You'd probably have to consider refueling while keeping the boat running so that you don't get swamped. It could be disastrous.
@ClemsonTiger wisely explained his reasoning for doing the trip, and I get it, BUT @ClemsonTiger , although you have the experience and an EPIRB, would you dare do this trip as a member of a group whose members did not? Having only been offshore once myself, I really appreciate @ClemsonTiger's insight; it's extremely valuable.

I know that @Bruce has a complete perspective on things, as well as lots of personal experience in how his boat handles heavy seas.
As the forecast stands right now, I will not be going, but who knows if it can change enough to forecast a safe and good quality boating vacation.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's another forecast.
Can you show us Monday the 20th?

Our plan is to cross on Monday.

Sunday morning looks enticing but is also a trap. It starts off with water similar to the forecast for the 2015 crossing except the waves are moving south which is going to cause sea sickness then in the afternoon the waves double or more in size. So if we had a similarly slow crossing to 2015 we would finish in waves two to three times what we started in.

@tim h and his group all have bigger boats and experience they should be fine crossing on Sunday but their stay in Bimini with 2+ foot waves and storms will be less enjoyable than previous years.

chris24

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I don't know what they consider 50% thunderstorms over in Bimini but here in Florida there is 30 to 60% chance of rain everyday All Summer Long if you went by that you would never be able to take your boat out. I take my boat out all the time in 50% thunderstorms just got to keep an eye on it and move or move around the thunderstorms. I don't know how that would work in Bimini or if we could pick up radar with our cell phones.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's Ft Lauderdale
image.png

And here's S Bimini
image.png

Wave heights are in meters.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@chris24 you are right about that. I think the more telling point about that forecast is that the weather is unsettled rather than clear blue skies. This impacts the waves and comfort about the islands. Last year the water was terrible around Bimini it was so rough all week. I think that is what the weather report is really telling you, and that there may be some scattered storms which are so common in the tropics anyway.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't know what they consider 50% thunderstorms over in Bimini but here in Florida there is 30 to 60% chance of rain everyday All Summer Long if you went by that you would never be able to take your boat out. I take my boat out all the time in 50% thunderstorms just got to keep an eye on it and move or move around the thunderstorms. I don't know how that would work in Bimini or if we could pick up radar with our cell phones.
Bimini storms are just like Florida storm, typically only last a very short time and moves out fast. Of course you could have a weather front move in where it rains all day and everywhere but that is very rare. Also the storms are typically small, so they are easy to maneuver around if you come across one while on the water.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
so the weather report is 3-4 ft seas going against the stream. Rough crossing no doubt.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here's Ft Lauderdale

Wave heights are in meters.
Those are coastal reports. Do you have one for offshore? The offshore reports I have seen show larger water than at the shore.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Is or perhaps was - today. :(
Don't let it stop you. If once you get to Fort Lauderdale and the trip is cancelled or postponed, there is plenty of boating and sightseeing around south Florida to keep you busy. I know that is not ideal but it would be a shame if you didn't come and the weather got better and you missed out.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@chris24, @Andy S, @MrMoose the storm forecasts do not bother me nearly as much as the big (2+ foot) water forecast for Bimini. I would not want to take my boat for it to sit in the slip all week then fight the waves back to Fort Lauderdale. After fighting big waves all the way there many of our families will not be ready to face rough water to go visit the Salopa or Honeymoon Harbor.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just have the coastal stuff.
The app is windfinder for anyone wanting to keep an eye on things.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@chris24 you are right about that. I think the more telling point about that forecast is that the weather is unsettled rather than clear blue skies. This impacts the waves and comfort about the islands. Last year the water was terrible around Bimini it was so rough all week. I think that is what the weather report is really telling you, and that there may be some scattered storms which are so common in the tropics anyway.
That personally makes me feel a lot better. Since I've only experienced Bimini last year, there is no way I would miss it this year if Bimini had like conditions. Must have been incredible to have flats seas over there.

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
We are still looking 6 and 7 days out...
Forecasts WILL change some, hopefully for the better :)

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@chris24, @Andy S, @MrMoose the storm forecasts do not bother me nearly as much as the big (2+ foot) water forecast for Bimini. I would not want to take my boat for it to sit in the slip all week then fight the waves back to Fort Lauderdale. After fighting big waves all the way there many of our families will not be ready to face rough water to go visit the Salopa or Honeymoon Harbor.
Good point, it all depends on how much people are willing to put up with. For us, we realize this is an ocean trip not a lake trip so we deal with rough seas but each boat captain and crew has to make the call for themselves. I've been at the Sapona when the waves are up and it is not much fun but you make do because you are there.