• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

JetBoatPilot Lateral Thruster Debut!!

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Mike Byrd pre sale pricing is good until mid September.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update: we began printing carbon fiber parts today. We chose carbon fiber infused PETG material for its strength and consistency. I will have pictures soon. We are dialing in our machines and will hopefully have production parts coming off the machines by next week. Once that's done we simply need to make sure we've developed install guides, sourced and received hardware and have created packaging. When this is all said and done we will likely hit our goal of mid to late September ship dates.

Thanks to all of you who have pre-ordered! We are looking forward to hearing your feedback!

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot. So psyched!! Just switched out my fins to tv's from cobra and double checked my wake and it's as good as usual.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On a ski it moves in the opposite direction of the input of the bars. So you would have to turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction you are used to. It would totally mess up what you have been taught to do on every boat made
Sure. But with a twin you could simply reduce or enclose the outer-facing "opening(s)" and the "Ride" would work like you want it.

--

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Help me understand. If you block off the outer openings and when the nozzle is pointed right, the right side pump will have no effect due to the outer outlet being blocked. The water that was intended to exit at that point would become turbulent instead of laminar. I don't think it would be useful. At that point the left side pump would force water out of the right of the gate which would in turn push the boat in the opposite direction the operator intended, which would still produce counter-intuitive reverse control? What am I a leaving out?

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I cannot wait to get mine. Wish they were here for this weekend.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Help me understand. If you block off the outer openings and when the nozzle is pointed right, the right side pump will have no effect due to the outer outlet being blocked. The water that was intended to exit at that point would become turbulent instead of laminar. I don't think it would be useful. At that point the left side pump would force water out of the right of the gate which would in turn push the boat in the opposite direction the operator intended, which would still produce counter-intuitive reverse control? What am I a leaving out?
I should not have made the "Ride" reference! Really meant just a pump bucket (Yamaha bucket used with the Ridesystem) modification, would only work in twins.:
upload_2017-9-1_13-41-57.png
Let's say this is a strbd side pump, a steering nozzle mounted bucket would have the right side (outer) opening reduced or enclosed. When turning the pump to the right, water exiting through the left side opening (in the bucket) would propel the turn to the right - lateral thrust - in the same direction as a regular reverse.
Unlike BRP pumps, with this modification the reverse would be "natural" with such steering nozzle-mounted bucket.
The other side (built in reverse orientation) would partially cancel the lateral thrust (to the right in the example above) but the vector would still be to the right because of the angles involved, and port side pump water would be diverted towards and hitting the stern.
That's all. It would be a bucket mod /opening (maybe shaped like a short nozzle) on the inside side surface of each bucket. Basically, just what Yamaha already has, just enclosed in the outside direction on both pumps.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack - I was just reading the thread and ran into @Neutron comment which made me respond.

--

Last edited:

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Any dates for shipping yet? Anxiously waiting.

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Pinhacker71 we are finalizing materials selection and hope to begin printing production versions in the next week or so. Hopefully shipping by late September. Design is completely done, stickers are on the way, boxes are here, hardware is here, video is produced. We're just making triple sure that the material that we've selected will hold up well for the duration. We're leaning towards carbon fiber infused PLA or carbon ABS. Hope to have answers soon.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
How long was the preorder sale/promotion good? Have you firmed up what the real price will be after the promotion?

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JetBoatPilot - following up (Ok, repeating) @BigAbe75 's question, can we still pre-order? I was planning to call this week but I figured you guys might have your hands full with all the other crap going on... (Hope you fared o.k. by the way!)

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 and @msavold the pre-order period is open till September 15th. After that the Lateral Thrusters will go up $50.

And thanks! We got just a little rain. No damage praise God!

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @JetBoatPilot for the unpdate! I was searching for your thread today to see how long it's been and to make sure I didn't miss an update. I can't wait to get my order. I just hope I get it before the boating season here in Maine is over! If not no worries I will have another thing to look forward to next year and look forward to the reviews!

DrGamecock

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Paid my invoice today and can't wait until they ship! I might even forgo deer hunting one weekend to test them out. Thanks to Will and his crew for engineering such wonderful products.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

JetBoatPilot

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@CAM212SS we are waiting on materials to arrive so we can begin manufacturing. We hope to receive them late this week or first of next week. Twin engine product will go out first, late September, then single engine product likely first of October.